Player Discussion Sens Goalie Situation moving forward

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Missed this the other day. But there were numerous reports like this prior to the draft and free agency. All suggesting the possibility of adding a goalie. Maybe everyone involved, from the writers to the editors and down the line, are weird?

How the Senators are approaching the NHL Draft: 'We're not scared to take a goalie at any point'

SNAPSHOTS: Senators haven't ruled out taking a goalie in the draft if they happen to lose one to the Seattle Kraken | Ottawa Sun

Senators 2021 NHL Draft Preview: Expect a strong pick at 10th overall

and like 10 other articles/sources writing about the possibility of adding a goalie after the expansion draft. Including it seems, the organization itself.

All the articles you posted are talking about 18 year old kids. I was referring to the suggestion we sign a UFA goalie. THAT would be weird...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Merilainen is looking great in this exhibition series against the US, he looks like he could turn into a pretty good goalie prospect for Ottawa, although it's extremely early & goalies are ..... different.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think Murray is going to have a good season this year. I also think Gustavsson is going to push him sooner, rather than later. Gus isn't looking to compete for who makes it to the big club. I think he wants to compete for who is the starter of the big club. I sense that Murray knows Gus is hot on his heals and hopefully this pushes him to work hard on strength and conditioning.

I sure hope so. What a lot of people took encouragement from was a few games he played after a recharge (using that term, not sure what else to call it). But, that was just a small number of games before his injury where he played better. Let's hope that holds for a longer stretch of games.

If nothing else, if the Senators think Gus pushes into the #1 slot, and Murray needs to be moved, its going to be a lot more feasible if Murray has been playing well for a decent stretch.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I hope Merilainen makes it just to continue the legacy of JGP with Ottawa.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I think Murray is due for a bounce back season, but he needs to stay healthy to gain some traction and confidence back. Hoping for the best for him. Regardless with his contract, he'll most likely be shipped out sometime in the following season, especially if Gus continues his strong play. Murray is owed 6M next year, then 7m and 8m, no way Melnyk wants to pay that. Worse comes to worst, we'll get a vet stop-gap goalie for the 22 and 23 season to ease Gus into the starting role, and Soogard can start being his backup or second backup in 24 when Gus takes over. Pretty exciting to see how our net-minding develops

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Are you referring to the Pageau's trade tree?

Merilainen was drafted with the pick obtained from trading DeMelo

Pageau's picks resulted in Ridily Greig and Tyler Kleven (Ottawa's 3rd was used to move up)
Right! My mistake, the trade tree was indeed what I meant. Well then, go Kleven and Greig haha.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Right! My mistake, the trade tree was indeed what I meant. Well then, go Kleven and Greig haha.

Which is kinda awesome for Pageau

Pageau : Greig + Kleven
Stone : Brannstrom + Sokolov
Brassard : JBD + Gustavsson
EK : Norris + Stutzle + Sogaard + Merilainen + Ostapchuk + Tierney
etc

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Would there be any sense in trying to reacquire Daccord?

He has been pushed down the depth chart in Seattle… after Free agency.

Seattle goaltender depth chart
Starter: Philipp Grubauer
Backup: Chris Driedger
Third string: Joey Daccord, Vitek Vanecek

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Would there be any sense in trying to reacquire Daccord?

He has been pushed down the depth chart in Seattle… after Free agency.

Seattle goaltender depth chart
Starter: Philipp Grubauer
Backup: Chris Driedger
Third string: Joey Daccord, Vitek Vanecek

Vanecek got traded back to the Capitals.

Reactions: bert

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Are you referring to the Pageau's trade tree?

Merilainen was drafted with the pick obtained from trading DeMelo

Pageau's picks resulted in Ridily Greig and Tyler Kleven (Ottawa's 3rd was used to move up)

Early returns but those have a nice look in Dorion’s ledger right now.

Reactions: Xspyrit

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Vanecek got traded back to the Capitals.
Ottawa would have to trade them a 2nd to make them consider it. A 3rd wouldn't do much for their now or future, and they need something in the pipeline for injuries besides an 18 year old who's 5+ years away, and FA isn't going to be cheaper than an ELC backup capable goalie. If Daccord blows them away the next 1-2 years, they can trade Drieger for a 3 anyways, and get the same back if htey'd trade Daccord now, while keeping depth insurance.

Meanwhile, Ottawa already has too many goalie prospects already in the same stage of development (1-2 years away) in Gus, Sogaard, Mandolese to add to - especially considering play time. To boot we have a "bonafide" starter already for 3 years. May as well let Daccord have his shot with the Kraken where he has no traffic jam to play time (even though I like him and Gus equally).

Murray (28 yo) - 35 NHL games, 5 injured
Hogberg (27 yo) - 35 NHL games, 5 injured

Gustavsson (23 yo) - Starter 1A AHL 35-40 games, 10 NHL call up games
Mandolese (20 yo) - Starter 1B AHL 35-40 games

Sogaard (20 yo) - Loaned back to Danish league to be starter for 25-30 games hopefully, finish season with Belleville/ECHL for 10-15 games
Merileinen (18 yo) - Loaned back to Danish league to be starter for 35-40 games hopefully, U20 starter

Hard to find games for Daccord, but I guess he could ride hte pine and grab 20-30 games from injuries alone becaues I was probably overly optimistic here.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ottawa would have to trade them a 2nd to make them consider it. A 3rd wouldn't do much for their now or future, and they need something in the pipeline for injuries besides an 18 year old who's 5+ years away, and FA isn't going to be cheaper than an ELC backup capable goalie. If Daccord blows them away the next 1-2 years, they can trade Drieger for a 3 anyways, and get the same back if htey'd trade Daccord now, while keeping depth insurance.

Meanwhile, Ottawa already has too many goalie prospects already in the same stage of development (1-2 years away) in Gus, Sogaard, Mandolese to add to - especially considering play time. To boot we have a "bonafide" starter already for 3 years. May as well let Daccord have his shot with the Kraken where he has no traffic jam to play time (even though I like him and Gus equally).

Murray (28 yo) - 35 NHL games, 5 injured
Hogberg (27 yo) - 35 NHL games, 5 injured

Gustavsson (23 yo) - Starter 1A AHL 35-40 games, 10 NHL call up games
Mandolese (20 yo) - Starter 1B AHL 35-40 games

Sogaard (20 yo) - Loaned back to Danish league to be starter for 25-30 games hopefully, finish season with Belleville/ECHL for 10-15 games
Merileinen (18 yo) - Loaned back to Danish league to be starter for 35-40 games hopefully, U20 starter

Hard to find games for Daccord, but I guess he could ride hte pine and grab 20-30 games from injuries alone becaues I was probably overly optimistic here.
Merileinen is playing in Kingston

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
All the articles you posted are talking about 18 year old kids. I was referring to the suggestion we sign a UFA goalie. THAT would be weird...

Fair enough. When they didn't end up drafting a G, which I mentioned, I assumed perhaps they had other plans.

Not to mention, like others, I really wasn't certain Forsberg would stay with Sens because I did think Gus was clearly ready to be the backup, in which case, maybe move on from Forsberg however possible, and bring in a lesser backup. With expansion draft, difficult to tell if every signing was for keeping or for distracting from another player being taken.

But glad we cleared that up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fair enough. When they didn't end up drafting a G, which I mentioned, I assumed perhaps they had other plans.

Not to mention, like others, I really wasn't certain Forsberg would stay with Sens because I did think Gus was clearly ready to be the backup, in which case, maybe move on from Forsberg however possible, and bring in a lesser backup. With expansion draft, difficult to tell if every signing was for keeping or for distracting from another player being taken.

But glad we cleared that up.

Forsberg is a UFA & I expect that he will play in Ottawa until he is dealt by the TDL which in turn would allow them to call up Gustavsson to be the backup for the remainder of the season & into the following season. That would leave Mandolese & Sogaard to fight it out for the starting role in Belleville.

Merilainen is playing in Kingston this coming season & I expect he could challenge Mando & Sogaard in Belleville the following season. The loser could find themselves in the ECHL, likely Merilainen who is the youngest unless he returns to junior which might be a possibility too.

Reactions: brakeyawself

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
One thing for goalies is that I'm not as worried about them playing in the ECHL as I am forwards and defensemen. Yes, the shots aren't as quick, but I'd rather then starting in the ECHL and facing a ton of shots than in the AL in a bakcup role getting 9 games. From what I've seen, goalies just need to face a ton of rubber and a good set of things from the NHL team/coaches they need to improve to get better.

For forwards and defensemen, I think it is different, it just doesn't really help to play ECHL as much as AHL where there is more continuity, structure, teamwork.

JohnBombJovi

Aug 2, 2021
Not a fan of Murray since his concussion issues in Pitt. I never thought he was better than Fleury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad