Player Discussion Sens Goalie Situation moving forward

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Sorry, if there was another thread on this I didn't see it when "searching".

Just curious what Sens fans opinion of their goalie situation is going into 2021-22.

Losing Daccord stinks. But not the end of the world.

Murray has been a big disappointment I am sure. After watching him with the Pens and now Sens, I am really not sure what happened to him. His decline is noticeable, but it's hard to tell the root cause. And he's being payed a pretty hefty figure.

That brings me to Gustavsson. This guy was, for a long time, supposed to be the goalie of the "future". He had a rocky trip, but near the end of last season, he seems to have finally arrived.

I thought the Sens might try to grab a good goalie prospect in the draft. Even perhaps Gaudreau later on in the draft. But they did not. Frankly, I would be pretty disappointed with the Sens 2021 draft. But they certainly aren't the only team that made some questionable choices.

How do you guys see the future of Sens goaltending panning out? I have to imagine they are fully behind Gustavsson and this point as part of their future. He really did look THAT good at the end of the 20-21 season. All be it in a short sample size. While Murray hasn't really looked like the starter he's supposed to be since he arrived.

I personally love Gustavsson as a GK prospect. And I think he does have a big future ahead of him. It probably is for the best that he does have Murray around to take pressure and the spotlight off of him. That seems like a better environment to progress as a young goalie.

Do Sens fans see Murray falling behind Gustavsson as early as this season? I assume they won't want to re-sign Murray when his contract is up, but they probably also will not be able to move him before then either. Which means one of their GK spots is taken for the foreseeable future.

The other spot, a bit more up in the air, but I am guessing Gustavsson will take that and they will be played in some fairly even time share. Unless the Sens sign a FA goalie to add to the mix. Well, I assume they will sign a goalie just for depth, but I don't think it would be wise to sign someone that would take playing time away from Gustavsson.

Sens fans feel comfortable and happy with Gustavsson going forward? Or are there still a lot of concerns about him in the long run?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Gustavsson stepped up last year and was a real calming presence.

As for Murray, while he has been disappointing, most of his problems occurred within that disastrous first month or so. The team hadn't played in nearly a year, and the defense was full of scrubs that had never played together before. Naturally, as that problem was worked out, the goaltending improved too. So I'm willing to give Murray a chance. He did finish strong as well even if it wasn't the sort of extended success that Gustavsson had.

That being said I honestly don't know why we signed Forsberg to an extension. Does management really expect Gustavsson to just eat up time in Belleville? Doesn't make sense to me. He should be ideally splitting time with Murray. Maybe Dorion is concerned about Murray's health?

Mads Sogaard had a great start to his Belleville career and also looks to be a quick learner. Kevin Mandolese less so but he can still figure things out.

Then Leevi Merilainen is sort of coming up out of nowhere. Drafted in the third round despite being unranked and now looking to claim the Finnish starting job going into the World Jrs. Will be interesting to see him in Kingston this year. Management will be able to keep a close eye on him.

So yeah, all in all I think we're in a pretty good place, goalie-wise.

Last edited:

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
IMO...........

Murray

We all hope Murray has solid season and plays like a #1 goalie and nothing less.

If Murray has issues it could be injury related or just that he has lost it. Send him to LTIR if need be.

Forsberg

I believe he was signed as insurance policy! Not to replace Murray but a backup for Gus in case of Murray Injuries. Having a goalie that plays calm and steady with bit of experience will help take pressure off Gus.

Gustavsson

This is his team and #1 Goalie of the future! While he should be the backup right away , getting full time minutes in the AHL till his time is important to keep him sharp as possible.

Injury or not Gus will be the back-up or starter by the end of year depending on Murray. Year after he will split starts with Murray before he takes over as #1 goalie if not sooner.

Sogaard

He had a great finish of a season in the AHL! He showed the potential to be a 1A or 1B in Ottawa with the small sample size. Problem is it was a small sample size. He will need seasoning in the AHL and see how he does with ups and downs of a full season or two. Then his next test will be some games in the NHL as backup and occasional start to really get a gauge of his talents but is projecting in the right direction.

Merilainen and the rest.

These guys will get their games and time in the AHL but is way too early to figure out how they fit into the Sens goalie prospect pool without more games under their belt.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We'll be ok.

I'm not really sold on anyone we have (or in the system), but really, all we need is a competent netminder that doesn't let in a softie at the worst possible time. Strengthen the blueline a bit and goaltending won't really matter unless it's truly ECHL level.

Reactions: brakeyawself

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry, if there was another thread on this I didn't see it when "searching".

Just curious what Sens fans opinion of their goalie situation is going into 2021-22.

Losing Daccord stinks. But not the end of the world.

Murray has been a big disappointment I am sure. After watching him with the Pens and now Sens, I am really not sure what happened to him. His decline is noticeable, but it's hard to tell the root cause. And he's being payed a pretty hefty figure.

That brings me to Gustavsson. This guy was, for a long time, supposed to be the goalie of the "future". He had a rocky trip, but near the end of last season, he seems to have finally arrived.

I thought the Sens might try to grab a good goalie prospect in the draft. Even perhaps Gaudreau later on in the draft. But they did not. Frankly, I would be pretty disappointed with the Sens 2021 draft. But they certainly aren't the only team that made some questionable choices.

How do you guys see the future of Sens goaltending panning out? I have to imagine they are fully behind Gustavsson and this point as part of their future. He really did look THAT good at the end of the 20-21 season. All be it in a short sample size. While Murray hasn't really looked like the starter he's supposed to be since he arrived.

I personally love Gustavsson as a GK prospect. And I think he does have a big future ahead of him. It probably is for the best that he does have Murray around to take pressure and the spotlight off of him. That seems like a better environment to progress as a young goalie.

Do Sens fans see Murray falling behind Gustavsson as early as this season? I assume they won't want to re-sign Murray when his contract is up, but they probably also will not be able to move him before then either. Which means one of their GK spots is taken for the foreseeable future.

The other spot, a bit more up in the air, but I am guessing Gustavsson will take that and they will be played in some fairly even time share. Unless the Sens sign a FA goalie to add to the mix. Well, I assume they will sign a goalie just for depth, but I don't think it would be wise to sign someone that would take playing time away from Gustavsson.

Sens fans feel comfortable and happy with Gustavsson going forward? Or are there still a lot of concerns about him in the long run?

Weird how you didn't mention Mads.

Also, weird how you suggest they might sign a free agent.

Ottawa has almost too many goalies.

Murray and Forsberg in the NHL.

Then you have Gustavsson and sogaard in the AHL.

Then you have mandolese and merilainen.

Ottawa has to get rid of goalies, not add more.

Both Gustavsson and sogaard should be getting the majority of AHL starts...so there's already a logjam there.

Reactions: bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NHL - Murray - Forsberg - I expect Forsberg to be dealt by the TDL

AHL - Gustavsson - Mandolese - Mando has paid his dues in the ECHL, he backs up Gus

ECHL - Sogaard - he's a rookie & just until Forsberg is dealt & he moves up to the AHL

OHL - Merilainen - I expect him to have a great yr

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Is Forsberg even healthy if he isn't LTIR if he is waivers or trade

Ideally its a Gustavsson/Murray spilt or Murray gets handful of more games. Probably be best for Murray and his confidence.

Sogaard was 7-0 in the A so that blue is all his till further notice..

Mandalorian gets ECHL

Leevi Meriläinen is the future I think he is on track to be our bona-fide #1

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

AHL - Gustavsson - Mandolese - Mando has paid his dues in the ECHL, he backs up Gus

ECHL - Sogaard - he's a rookie & just until Forsberg is dealt & he moves up to the AHL

Sogaard is ahead of mandolese without a question.

Reactions: Emrasie and Yak

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We'll see. I have heard this before with other goalies that have come into the org, but they have all gone to the ECHL in their rookie season, if there was guys already in place in the AHL. Daccord did when he first arrived, so did Mandolese who IMO paid his dues & is a pretty good goalie himself. Sogaard is a rookie & I expect he starts in the ECHL & after the TDL gets called up to the AHL. He will see a lot of pucks in the ECHL, it's a good developmental league especially for goalies & will be better for it. It's not a big deal or a demotion, it's for his development.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Is Forsberg even healthy if he isn't LTIR if he is waivers or trade

Ideally its a Gustavsson/Murray spilt or Murray gets handful of more games. Probably be best for Murray and his confidence.

Sogaard was 7-0 in the A so that blue is all his till further notice..

Mandalorian gets ECHL

Leevi Meriläinen is the future I think he is on track to be our bona-fide #1

Yea, I didn't expect Forsberg to still be there beyond this year.

Interesting. I've heard a few people who think Merilainen will be the Sens future #1. I didn't think he was as well thought of. But he has a long way to go to get there, so much can happen in between.

I mean, I would still think as of right now, Gustavsson is still the most likely to be that future #1. Just based on where he is in his development and how good he looked end of last season. But obviously he still has to prove it on the ice, in the NHL for a full season.

I was always a big Gus fan, since the Pens had him. So I am still very hopeful he can be the guy. At least, he is actually starting to look like the player many thought he would become when he was drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk27

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
We'll see. I have heard this before with other goalies that have come into the org, but they have all gone to the ECHL in their rookie season, if there was guys already in place in the AHL. Daccord did when he first arrived, so did Mandolese who IMO paid his dues & is a pretty good goalie himself. Sogaard is a rookie & I expect he starts in the ECHL & after the TDL gets called up to the AHL. He will see a lot of pucks in the ECHL, it's a good developmental league especially for goalies & will be better for it. It's not a big deal or a demotion, it's for his development.

Goalies in general are hard to gauge. You might think a goalie looks like the clear future number 1 when they are 19, but by the time they are 21, that's changed drastically and they no longer seem like they will be THE future.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Its all about getting starts though. Starting in the ECHL > backing up in the AHL.

It'll all depend if they plan on splitting starts or letting Gus run with the #1 spot.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Makes sense. Yea I was wondering more so, who will fill the AHL gap since Gustavsson is likely to share with Murray and Forsberg likely isn't with the Sens very long. A lot of people are high on Merilainen. I didn't think he was that well thought of honestly. But I suppose that changes things in terms of needing to draft a young goalie. If he is thought of that highly that is. All though, I am not sure it's plausible to really assert Merilainen will the the future of the franchise at this point in time. So much distance between where he is now and where he has to go. So many things can happen.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All of this is not taking injuries into account

2021-22 : NHL : Muray - Forsberg / AHL : Gustavsson - Sogaard
2022-23 : Muray - Gustavsson / AHL : Sogaard - Merilainen
2023-24 : Muray - Gustavsson / AHL : Sogaard - Merilainen
2024-25 : Gustavsson - Sogaard / AHL : Merilainen - Romeo

Of course it depends if someone develops faster than anticipated. Murray could also be traded along the way, or even extended after his contract

Mandolese is only 4 months older and has only played 2 more AHL games than Sogaard by the way

I really doubt Mandolese is going to be in the AHL over Sogaard, the 6'8 goalie from Denmark they traded up to get early in the 2nd round in 2019. I think the organization is pretty damn high on him, and might eventually choose him over all others

I think he's our goalie of the future, even if Gustavsson is going to be good too

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

The problem is the ECHL is NOT a good developmental league. If you listen to the Wally and Methot show they talked about this. Especially for goalies and defenseman who require more structure in the game to develop properly.

And for how much less structure there is in the AHL compared to the NHL, there's even more of a difference in structure from the AHL to the ECHL. They would rather do a 60/40 or 50/50 split then go to the ECHL.

Barely any goalies play 60-70 games anymore.

Sogaard will be better served playing 32 games as AHL backup over playing 48 as ECHL starter.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Its all about getting starts though. Starting in the ECHL > backing up in the AHL.

It'll all depend if they plan on splitting starts or letting Gus run with the #1 spot.

They'll split or 1a 1b. That way no goalie gets overworked or underworked. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play every second game regardless of performance to start the season. Essentially they each get a game one week and 2 the following. That way they each get rest, lots of practice, and consistently seeing the net every week to show off their improvement throughout the season.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
All of this is not taking injuries into account

2021-22 : NHL : Muray - Forsberg / AHL : Gustavsson - Sogaard
2022-23 : Muray - Gustavsson / AHL : Sogaard - Merilainen
2023-24 : Muray - Gustavsson / AHL : Sogaard - Merilainen
2024-25 : Gustavsson - Sogaard / AHL : Merilainen - Romeo

Are you converting Romeo from defense to goal?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Makes sense. Yea I was wondering more so, who will fill the AHL gap since Gustavsson is likely to share with Murray and Forsberg likely isn't with the Sens very long. A lot of people are high on Merilainen. I didn't think he was that well thought of honestly. But I suppose that changes things in terms of needing to draft a young goalie. If he is thought of that highly that is. All though, I am not sure it's plausible to really assert Merilainen will the the future of the franchise at this point in time. So much distance between where he is now and where he has to go. So many things can happen.
Merilainen will play in Kingston this coming season so there is lots of time before we see him in Ottawa & there are a few guys to beat out, but so far he looks like a pretty good pick. I think Gus has the inside track given they didn't protect Daccord & Sogaard could be right there as well depending on how this season goes for him. He'll get lots of starts in the ECHL if he plays there & Mandolese can backup Gus in Belleville which I believe is the plan.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Merilainen will play in Kingston this coming season so there is lots of time before we see him in Ottawa & there are a few guys to beat out, but so far he looks like a pretty good pick. I think Gus has the inside track given they didn't protect Daccord & Sogaard could be right there as well depending on how this season goes for him. He'll get lots of starts in the ECHL if he plays there & Mandolese can backup Gus in Belleville which I believe is the plan.

So you dont even think Gus gets a crack in Ottawa to start the season. Interesting. Thought there was a high chance of being on the roster.

They certainly could still start him out in Belleville though. . Not out of the questions. I guess many just assumed he would, me included.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So you dont even think Gus gets a crack in Ottawa to start the season. Interesting. Thought there was a high chance of being on the roster.

They certainly could still start him out in Belleville though. . Not out of the questions. I guess many just assumed he would, me included.

No, not to start the season, otherwise what would have been the purpose of signing Forsberg for another yr if not to be the backup in Ottawa. I doubt he would have signed if they said he was going to Belleville given he has played in the NHL for a number of yrs now, he's a vet. My guess is that he could be traded by the TDL & Gus will finish the yr in Ottawa, he's only 23 yrs old with plenty of time for him to work on his game & not get burned out too early in his career. And Ottawa gets to add another asset if they move Forsberg. I think it's another transition yr although it's possible they could be fighting for a playoff spot by the end of the yr, but probably unlikely. We'll see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad