Speculation: Sens finances discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The reaction to the announcement pretty much sums up everyone's feelings on Melnyk. Nobody believes it. Actions speak louder than words, and we've had these words before only for it not to happen.
Yep,enough talk...Shit or get the hell off the pot

Reactions: Gesus

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa's big corporate sponsors:

Bell : HQs - Toronto (Bell Media) and Montreal (Bell Canada)
Canadian tire : Toronto
Coca-Cola Canada: Toronto
Tim Horton's: Toronto
Pizza Pizza: Toronto
Molson-Coors: Montreal (Toronto has the Canadian operations HQ)

He made the announcement at a sponsors event likely because he's trying to get buy in from the sponsors at a time when they are probably questioning their investment in the team, and made it public through a release likely because it was going to get out regardless so this allows them to control the message.

So these would be the brands to target with boycotts/letter of concerns. Only one I currently actively use is Bell who I will be voicing my complaints to immediately and be moving on to another provider should Eugene continue to torture the fanbase next season.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No it wasn't.

The Senators had a press release about comments the owner made to corporate sponsors.

Your desperation at finding mud to sling might rival Melnyk's need for attention.
Once again, from the article provided.

A Statement released by the Senators, concerning comments by owner Eugene Melnyk at a corporate event last night in Toronto...

It was a public statement released by the Sens.

A press release IS a public statement.

Melnyk made those statements at a corporate event with the express purpose of releasing them to the public.

Reactions: RaMai

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Once again, from the article provided.

It was a public statement released by the Sens.

A press release IS a public statement.

Melnyk made those statements at a corporate event with the express purpose of releasing them to the public.

Are you upset that the corporate event was held where corporate sponsors' HQ are located, or that the team made a press release about the newsworthy comments he made at that event?

Should he have made a press release about his commitment prior to making it to sponsors at the event so that it wouldn't be tied to Toronto? Or does he need to fly into Ottawa and hold a press conference so that Mendes and Garrioch can record it on their iPhones?

Of all the things to complain about Melnyk for, this is pretty damn low on the list imo.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Are you upset that the corporate event was held where corporate sponsors' HQ are located, or that the team made a press release about the newsworthy comments he made at that event?

Should he have made a press release about his commitment prior to making it to sponsors at the event so that it wouldn't be tied to Toronto? Or does he need to fly into Ottawa and hold a press conference so that Mendes and Garrioch can record it on their iPhones?

Of all the things to complain about Melnyk for, this is pretty damn low on the list imo.

It’s just tone deaf to make a promise to a room full of people who do t actually care about the club instead of making it to your fans.

And yes he should of done it in front of Mendes because at least Mendes could ask him ‘What is the plan?’

i Cannot imagine for the life of me the Habs GM making a rebuild statement in Boston or the Canuck’s GM making a rebuild statement in Colorado.

Just stupid PR by Poo-Jeans, that’s the only normal thing about this

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ottawa's big corporate sponsors:

Bell : HQs - Toronto (Bell Media) and Montreal (Bell Canada)
Canadian tire : Toronto
Coca-Cola Canada: Toronto
Tim Horton's: Toronto
Pizza Pizza: Toronto
Molson-Coors: Montreal (Toronto has the Canadian operations HQ)

He made the announcement at a sponsors event likely because he's trying to get buy in from the sponsors at a time when they are probably questioning their investment in the team, and made it public through a release likely because it was going to get out regardless so this allows them to control the message.
I know he flew a lot of people to Toronto as well. I know the chefs who prepare the meals and we always chit chat about the charters, and he said they had double the meals to prepare. And Karlsson put ketchup on everything lol

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ya i went looking for it...thats kind of odd...maybe the HQs of the sponsors are primarily in TO? Or they took local sponsors on a road trip?

Remeber That Melnyk, and the other parties involved with the Lebreton Flats Mediation, were in Toronto "for several days of mediation talks, beginning Monday" .

The HHOF corporate sponsers event was on Tuesday.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Remeber That Melnyk, and the other parties involved with the Lebreton Flats Mediation, were in Toronto "for several days of mediation talks, beginning Monday" .

The HHOF corporate sponsers event was on Tuesday.
Yeah maybe it s a meeting for sponserising the new downtown arena

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Why has you, and others made 100s of posts for about a year, complaining that EM & PD are keeping the "plan" secret, and demanding that the tell the fan base....

And then, when they release this statement on a Leafs vs Sens Game day, knowing the statement would most likley be aired and discussed on the broadcast ............ you work your self up in to a frenzy, because the Owner did not do it in Ottawa, or on a local Radio/TV station.

It's like you have a negative reaction for anything the owner does, and it does not matter if it was something you were demanding for the past year???

Eugene Melnyk was already in Toronto, for several days of Mediation talks, that started Monday in an about the LeBreton Flats issue. Plus there was the Scheduled Corporate Sponsorship event, on Tuesday, at the Hockey Hall of Fame, where he made this commitment to those in attendance.

The Senators then released the Commitment, to the public the next day (Wednesday).

The poster doth protest too much, methinks, perhaps for just the sake of protesting.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah maybe it s a meeting for sponsoring the new downtown arena

It could be, as I seem to remember this being discussed last summer, on TSN 1200.

The current sponsors, might be asked to re-up for another term, as per their contracts, and if they remain as sponsors, they might be given priority for the new Arena.

Reactions: Crosside

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It’s just tone deaf to make a promise to a room full of people who do t actually care about the club instead of making it to your fans.

And yes he should of done it in front of Mendes because at least Mendes could ask him ‘What is the plan?’

i Cannot imagine for the life of me the Habs GM making a rebuild statement in Boston or the Canuck’s GM making a rebuild statement in Colorado.

Just stupid PR by Poo-Jeans, that’s the only normal thing about this

Sadly, those teams don't need to look outside of their own cities for large corporate sponsors. What are the large Ottawa based companies that can provide sponsorships on the level of the Pizza Pizzas, Bells and Tim Hortons of the world? There's no shortage of corporate sponsors lined up in Montreal and Vancouver regardless of the team's on-ice performance.

Reactions: JD1

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Not upset at all.

Just stating that our idiot owner, who desperately needs to mend fences with his fanbase, is too stupid to realize that a 5 min phone call to TSN1200 to announce this plan would be a worthwhile investment of his time.

Instead, we get the Toronto native using a Toronto source to once again get the message out and snub the local press and the fanbase.

Are there far more important isssues facing this franchise? ABSOLUTELY

Reactions: RaMai

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As much as I think the statement is meaningless and Melnyk's word means nothing, since the anger and apathy is to the point that only actions will change public perception, I do think he's finally making the right choice here with the media by not doing interviews. No more microphones in front of Melnyk, he pretty much burns his bridge a little bit more every single time he speaks with the media. Dorion needs to be out there a heck of a lot more, but Melnyk needs to be non existent if he's going to continue to curse us with refusing to sell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As much as I think the statement is meaningless and Melnyk's word means nothing, since the anger and apathy is to the point that only actions will change public perception, I do think he's finally making the right choice here with the media by not doing interviews. No more microphones in front of Melnyk, he pretty much burns his bridge a little bit more every single time he speaks with the media. Dorion needs to be out there a heck of a lot more, but Melnyk needs to be non existent.

Yeah, he doesn't really have much currency with the fans when it comes to credibility, so it's probably best for any message he has for public consumption to give be done through press releases and not live interviews.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not upset at all.

Just stating that our idiot owner, who desperately needs to mend fences with his fanbase, is too stupid to realize that a 5 min phone call to TSN1200 to announce this plan would be a worthwhile investment of his time.

Instead, we get the Toronto native using a Toronto source to once again get the message out and snub the local press and the fanbase.

Are there far more important isssues facing this franchise? ABSOLUTELY

He made the statement, at the Corporate Sponsorship Event, in Toronto.
Then made the statement, public the next day .... and it was reported on the national sports networks.

You heard it, I heard it, so why does it matter how you heard about it.

Mountain out of a molehill, as usual.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This thread started out nicely but now is covered by a topic found elsewhere.
For those wanting to discuss finances, I would suggest using the Business of Hockey forum.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad