Post-Game Talk: Sens @ DEVILS, FEB 3rd - Andy Hammond Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Yep.

Ease him in, wait for him to find his comfort zone, THEN up his ice time.

..."ease him in", why? I say, jump right into that hot-tub! The only way to learn is thru game action. Since we are toast this year, I think Pageau Stone and Hoffman should get max minutes. Trade Neil, Phillips (& Legwand) to make room. Bring up Wideman and Puempel/Prince. This year is now about next year...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
..."ease him in", why?

Because you risk exposing young players who may still have holes in their game that they need to work on at the pro level to seasoned pros who know how to exploit them, ruin the confidence they have in their game, and stall their development.

"Too much too soon" is a tried-and-true way to ruin young players. It's one of the richest traditions in hockey.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
..."ease him in", why? I say, jump right into that hot-tub! The only way to learn is thru game action. Since we are toast this year, I think Pageau Stone and Hoffman should get max minutes. Trade Neil, Phillips (& Legwand) to make room. Bring up Wideman and Puempel/Prince. This year is now about next year...

Who jumps right into the hot tub?!

You gotta ease your way into that bad boy, not just to acclimatize yourself to the heat, but also to avoid adding chemical water to everyone's bevvies...

Etiquette man, etiquette...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

You gotta ease your way into that bad boy, not just to acclimatize yourself to the heat, but also to avoid adding chemical water to everyone's bevvies...

"Rush a young player into the league too fast, and you'll end up drinking chlorine".

That's my new personal motto regarding the subject.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013

....cannonbaaaaaaallllll!!!! Seriously though, wouldn't ya like to see a game or two from Wideman & Puempel?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
....cannonbaaaaaaallllll!!!! Seriously though, wouldn't ya like to see a game or two from Wideman & Puempel?

Not if they are not needed no

If injuries or trades mean there's a spot open for them then by all means

The prospects' job is to force management's hands via their play, let them earn their way up

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

The prospects' job is to force management's hands via their play, let them earn their way up

Thats not how they operate in ottawa. ie zibby, cowen, lazar, sending dacosta down after 4 points in 5 games

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wideman has been putting up similar numbers to what Krug and Vatanen did before getting called up. Granted he's older, but I think he's earned a game or two to show what he's got at this level. Imo he could potentially make for an awesome third pair with Boro.

That said, there's no room on the roster right now to force there way in, so we need to make a trade, have an injury or send someone down to give anyone a chance.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wideman has been putting up similar numbers to what Krug and Vatanen did before getting called up. Granted he's older, but I think he's earned a game or two to show what he's got at this level. Imo he could potentially make for an awesome third pair with Boro.

That said, there's no room on the roster right now to force there way in, so we need to make a trade, have an injury or send someone down to give anyone a chance.

That's exactly who I think Wideman could be for us. If a small defender can play for the big bad Bruins, why can't we have one? Right Aragorn?

But you're right. He won't get a chance until massive injuries hit, or a number of players get moved at the deadline.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thats not how they operate in ottawa. ie zibby, cowen, lazar, sending dacosta down after 4 points in 5 games

Pretty much

This is one of the biggest downsides of being a cap floor team: we're always looking for the cheapest way out and that seldom involves getting players in order to let the youth develop down in Bingo.

Although Da Costa just didn't have a future with us: Pageau is more suited to the bottom 6 (bigger and feistier) and SDC wasn't beating out Turris or Zibanejad.

I'm fairly certain that, by season's end Wideman will have played a couple of games for Ottawa. The only reason he wouldn't would be due to contracts logjam

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
"Rush a young player into the league too fast, and you'll end up drinking chlorine".

That's my new personal motto regarding the subject.

Pageau has been in a yo-yo motion from Bingo for the last three years. He played 9 games in year 2012/13, 28 games in year 2013/14 and sofar this year he has played 19 games.

Stone in his case played his first NHL game in the same year as Pageau, year 2012/13, but was sent down after 4 games. Then he played 19 games in year 2013/14 and 47 games this year.

As far as Hoffman goes, lets not forget that he's 25 years old. He played his first NHL game in year 2011/12 and that was the only game that he played that year. Then in 2012/13 he played 3, in year 2013/14 25 and now this year 46 games.

This being said, without counting this year, among these three players, Pageau has the most NHL experience. So when we say, you and Ice-Tray, it is often best to bring young players up slowly, and shelter them from high stress and responsibility situations and take the same approach that they did with Hoffman and Stone I don't get it.

As for the last game, Cameron not playing Pageau in the last 10 minutes was a mistake. Pageau was on fire that night, he was playing physical plus he had 2 good shots on net with only 9 minutes of ice time. He even went and hit a guy that made a solid check on Neil. Every time he was on the ice, he would create something, so other than point production what can a player do to deserve more ice time?

As far as Ice-Tray saying that Legwand has more points and that's why he is a better player. Ummm not sure what to answer since I believe he didn't figure out that Pageau had a more defensive role and didn't get any prime time on the PP to get points.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty much

This is one of the biggest downsides of being a cap floor team: we're always looking for the cheapest way out and that seldom involves getting players in order to let the youth develop down in Bingo.

Although Da Costa just didn't have a future with us: Pageau is more suited to the bottom 6 (bigger and feistier) and SDC wasn't beating out Turris or Zibanejad.

I'm fairly certain that, by season's end Wideman will have played a couple of games for Ottawa. The only reason he wouldn't would be due to contracts logjam

Yeah, if we don't trade one of Phillips, Wiercioch, or I guess Gryba, and no injuries hit, I have a hard time seeing the team justify sitting one of our 8 D to give Wideman a shot, but I really think we need to see what he's got at the NHL level before end of season and negotiating a new contract.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, if we don't trade one of Phillips, Wiercioch, or I guess Gryba, and no injuries hit, I have a hard time seeing the team justify sitting one of our 8 D to give Wideman a shot, but I really think we need to see what he's got at the NHL level before end of season and negotiating a new contract.

But, what is this team doing right now, if not taking a step back and seeing what some of our young players in the minors have? Puempel prince and wideman should all get some games by the end of the season (not all the games, not huge significant minutes. This isn't some Edmonton 2.0 wish list. ). But what is this team supposed to do for rest if the season? Ride this roster out?

Not directed at your post particalurly. Just to the general topic of giving these guys a taste. And do the Edmonton oiler fear mongerers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But, what is this team doing right now, if not taking a step back and seeing what some of our young players in the minors have? Puempel prince and wideman should all get some games by the end of the season (not all the games, not huge significant minutes. This isn't some Edmonton 2.0 wish list. ). But what is this team supposed to do for rest if the season? Ride this roster out?

Not directed at your post particalurly. Just to the general topic of giving these guys a taste. And do the Edmonton oiler fear mongerers

Well, I expect there will be at least one trade moving a roster player out, so room will probably be made to give someone a taste. On top of that, with ~30 games left, there will be injuries (Hammond being up is proof of that).

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Well, I expect there will be at least one trade moving a roster player out, so room will probably be made to give someone a taste. On top of that, with ~30 games left, there will be injuries (Hammond being up is proof of that).

...so, there may be some room left in the hot-tub after all ;) Enough for Buddy even.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
...so, there may be some room left in the hot-tub after all ;) Enough for Buddy even.

I'll take it! I'd do so much more, and have a ton more fun than what those other guys did... Pansies!!

... We're talking about hot tub time machine right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad