Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Devils Feb. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Sens have to take this one if they want a shot at the playoffs

It's still doable but this is make or break
We pretty much have to go on an 8 game win streak, hope one of the two WC teams goes about .500 over the same time and then we have to stay hot the rest of the way. Not necessarily in that order, but we need to get red hot starting right now. I actually think we're close to being competitive but I'm not sure we have that kind of streak in us.

If the Zibby-Ryan line stays productive and we somehow get the Turris line rolling, we might get hot. But can we get that hot?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm gonna get my Xpyrit-style quoting going now..

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 19m 19 minutes ago
Craig Anderson won't go to New Jersey and Chris Phillips won't play tomorrow. He will break the record at home Thursday. #Sen

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 10m 10 minutes ago
Craig Anderson hasn't been able to take shots because he hasn't been able to hold the stick. #Sens

Feel bad for Anderson. :(

Why? Ya he's fairly injury prone, but he's still our undisputed #1 goalie making millions.

People just want to hate on Phillips, even when he plays well.

Yup. It amazes me how extreme people can be re: Phillips. There are more and more Phillips haters emerging, yet there is still a group that will defend him to the death based on his loyalty and play earlier in his career. My personal view on Phillips lies somewhere in between.

I agree, but chances are he's being bought out after this season anyways.

At least he will have the legacy of being the player who's played the most games here, tying Alfie last game.

GO SENS GO

I'm not exactly sure why you keep going on about the Sens buying Phillips out. Since you're so sure this will happen (it won't), can you please explain why you think the organization would ever consider doing this?

Young goalie plays poorly. Try to trade him.

Young goalie plays amazing, shows he's the goalie of the future. Try to trade him.

Lehner just can't win.

Ya, it's brought on by Andy's continued stellar play when everyone thought he'd have another inconsistent year. It should not be surprising.. when the team is struggling, people get desperate for change, and no player is safe from fan trade fantasies. Add in the prospect of landing a guy like Hall with Lehner as part of the package, and all the trade talk suddenly makes sense.

Well, really Phillips and Neil should focus on their restaurant/bar businesses.:sarcasm:

I wouldn't be surprised though if they keep Phillips and Neil around in some sort of ambassador roles. Purely for PR and event appearances. Otherwise, what will the writers in the Sun and Citizen do without their good buddies, the ones who have gotten completely free passes on their rapidly declining play the last few years because they're friendly with said writers away from the ice, around to heap praise on? :laugh: It's gonna be hilarious to watch them have nobody they actually WANT to write nice things about on a consistent basis.

And ya, Redden, who Murray still offered an extension to, albeit much lower than $6.5 million. Something closer to $3 million IIRC. Which, based on his play with the Rangers, was still far too much. Meanwhile, Ottawa got Kovalev:( To be fair, looked decent for the first part of his debut season. Then the Olympics came, which he didn't even go to, but he was awful after that. And who can forget deciding to get rentals like Andy "The Expert" Sutton and Matt Cullen in 2010. While both played well, kinda hard to justify even at the time when Ottawa was nowhere near actually contending.

Since when did the PGT become a Murray bashing thread? :laugh:

There are some people that are just so bipolar, that as soon as Lehner gets a bad string of games they throw him under the bus and want him out. There are also posters who just hold a personal agenda against him as seen in this thread, regardless if he wins or lose they want him out.

In Lehners last few scrums he has been calling out the market pretty much. He said hes been hearing boos and he said he has just left twitter altogether because its basically a **** show against him when he is struggling.

I'd say a big fat boo-hoo to him. If outside forces are getting to him, at least he has done the right thing and left social media, but he's gotta be mentally tougher. He wants to be an NHL goalie, he should learn how to act and think like one.

No one is completely immune from fan or has the toughness to block i out completely, but he needs to work on that aspect of his game/career.

Maybe because Phillips is a washed up plug who his WELL past his prime while Lehner is a young goalie who is still developing :dunno:

Here is the extreme opinion I was referring to earlier.

I don't mind Lehner getting angry after goals go in on him. Patrick Roy was like that. He wold give his team mates the look of death. Tuuka rask is like that allllllll the time. I swear he can let in a goal from center and it looks like he's blaming on if his defenders.

The difference is that those goalies learned to harness the anger and play better. Lehner often gets worse. Don't get me wrong, I hope he can figure things out. He needs to bottle up the fire and dominate.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Oh ya.

Easy win.

Count-Von-Count.jpg

tale-of-2-kitties.gif

25-funny-cat-gifs-5.gif

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Here is the extreme opinion I was referring to earlier.

Among NHL defencemen with at least 20 games played this season, Phillips has a Corsi relative at 5 on 5 of -13.6, good for 11th worst in the NHL among defencemen. So on a team like the Sens, that tends to give up a fair number of shots, even more earlier in the season when Phillips wasn't a frequent scratch, when Phillips is on the ice our opponents tend to get off EVEN MORE shots than the team usually allows. Again, 5 on 5, so no PK dragging him down. That's also good for worst on the team by a decent margin. 2nd is Neil at -8.9, and Gryba is next worse on the D with -8.8. And I don't think you'll find many thinking Gryba has been particularly good this year. A passable #6 on a non-playoff team at his best.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I agree, but chances are he's being bought out after this season anyways.

At least he will have the legacy of being the player who's played the most games here, tying Alfie last game.

GO SENS GO

Call me sentimental, but I don't think anyone should be allowed to break Alfie's record for most games played. So maybe BigRig's gets shipped out tomorrow?! ;)

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
The last game we played against the Devils was one of the worst hockey games I've ever seen. Hoping for something better tonight

Karlsson2Turris*

Time to being pesky back...please

Pesky gets you a wildcard team that will be dismantled in the first/second round. I want us to stay the course, hire a shrewd GM, and become a consistent playoff team.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Havlat, Gomez, Elias, Jagr...the long-in-the-tooth gang rides again!

Easy win for Sens. Glad to hier that wier is playing. When do we see Wideman, after playoff window slams I guess...?!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I really have a hard time watching NJ games.

I am personally debating on whether to watch it or not.

It is just that watching Devils games are really ****ing boring and if the Sens lose, it will feel like 2 to 3 hours of my life have just been wasted.

JBucephalus

Jan 8, 2013
Hoping to see the young Lehner continue to rebuild his confidence and assist in another Snesators win. Seriously I would love to see a winning streak of at least 3 games for the first time since the beginning of the season I believe.

JBucephalus

Jan 8, 2013
I really have a hard time watching NJ games.

I feel like they are going to carry the reputation of being that boring trap team from the late 90s/early 2000s for a while whether or not it's valid. I cannot really say as I do not follow the Devils, but their roster isn't going to be wowing anyone. I'll be watching hoping for the W(heh).

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I feel like they are going to carry the reputation of being that boring trap team from the late 90s/early 2000s for a while whether or not it's valid. I cannot really say as I do not follow the Devils, but their roster isn't going to be wowing anyone. I'll be watching hoping for the W(heh).

Yup, it is totally reputation and experience for me. I watched some of those cup runs when NJ just choked the other team into submission. I swear, when the puck dropped they would just leave it, skate back into the D zone, and wait for a small mistake.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If you thought the 1st period and most of the 2nd period against Arizona the other night was boring, just wait until you watch the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad