Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Devils Feb. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think the backlash on Lehner here is that the Bieber, I mean Lehner fanboys wouldnt shut up about him. It's pretty telling when a teams own fan base gets sick of their own players being so hyped by fellow fans.

So some people on here are giving a few digs back at those people me thinks.
Hopefully Lehner continues to play well.

Xamar*

There are some people that are just so bipolar, that as soon as Lehner gets a bad string of games they throw him under the bus and want him out. There are also posters who just hold a personal agenda against him as seen in this thread, regardless if he wins or lose they want him out.

In Lehners last few scrums he has been calling out the market pretty much. He said hes been hearing boos and he said he has just left twitter altogether because its basically a **** show against him when he is struggling.

That type of BS makes us just like MTL fans

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Maybe because Phillips is a washed up plug who his WELL past his prime while Lehner is a young goalie who is still developing :dunno:

When you bash a player even when he's not playing, that's called having a bias.

He was calling out posters for having biases.

Hence the pointing out of irony within his comments.

Does that clear things up for you?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Says the guy who unnecessarily "woohoo'd" because Phillips is out. The irony is strong with this one.

This is a rebuilding team that needs to let the yungins play, of course you'll say something like we need that veteran presence which i strongly believe is better served by him off the ice, then on it.

When you bash a player even when he's not playing, that's called having a bias.

I didn't know being happy to see Phillips not play is equivalent to calling him names, trashing his play or if you actually think being happy that a player is not in the line up is bashing especially on HF, then I have no idea on what to say.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I know im a bit happier when wier and phillips dont play. I recognize phillips is past his NHL expiry date at least on this team. We have more important players who need ice time and NHL experience going forward and i think its good management to sit him more and let him go out without people always critizing his game. I just dont have faith in Wier and think were better off with Meth, Cowen and Boro. I'd also like to get a look at Claessan sometime this year in the NHL.

Last thing i want to happen to phillips

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/14/brisebois-battled-depression-during-harsh-hab-days

Dont want the fans to turn on phillips and start to boo him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There are some people that are just so bipolar, that as soon as Lehner gets a bad string of games they throw him under the bus and want him out. There are also posters who just hold a personal agenda against him as seen in this thread, regardless if he wins or lose they want him out.

In Lehners last few scrums he has been calling out the market pretty much. He said hes been hearing boos and he said he has just left twitter altogether because its basically a **** show against him when he is struggling.

Lehner has been awful for a while now: he had a great stretch last year and started this year well but he's been downright bad outside of those instances

He strong-armed management into keeping in the NHL; the boos and increased pressure come with that decision he made

He better live with the consequences of his decision because he just had a kid, he's about to learn a whole lot about consequences

He has a lot of potential but he hasn't shown much of it in the last two seasons: if he wants the accolades he needs to perform

I know im a bit happier when wier and phillips dont play. I recognize phillips is past his NHL expiry date at least on this team. We have more important players who need ice time and NHL experience going forward and i think its good management to sit him more and let him go out without people always critizing his game. I just dont have faith in Wier and think were better off with Meth, Cowen and Boro. I'd also like to get a look at Claessan sometime this year in the NHL.

Last thing i want to happen to phillips

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/14/brisebois-battled-depression-during-harsh-hab-days

Dont want the fans to turn on phillips and start to boo him.

Ottawa isn't some scummy city like Montreal (when it comes to sports)

We might be hard on some players, harder than we "need" to be even: Spezza didn't deserve most of the grief he got

But we're not mindlessly rabid like that dumpster fire fanbase

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Lehner has been awful for a while now: he had a great stretch last year and started this year well but he's been downright bad outside of those instances

After the start of the season he did play poorly in his rare games. But if you'll recall, Andy had poor stretches too and MacLean made him play through them. I'm confident, or at least hopeful, that Lehner can do the same if given a chance. Either way, this is his time to shine if he's got it

KarlssonMarx

Be Red
Mar 1, 2012
Halifax
Pretty funny that Phillips is sitting himself out. I can't blame him for wanting to break the record at home though. Who wouldnt want a little recognition from the fans after giving their all for 17 seasons? Good on him for coming right out and admitting that this is what he wants too haha.

Probably the last 'milestone' moment he will have in his career, and arguably the biggest. I have been less than enthused with his play the last 2-3 years. But I will always love and respect that man. He was a great hockey player and is an even greater person.

KarlssonMarx

Be Red
Mar 1, 2012
Halifax
Also, can't believe how well Bobby Ryan has been playing lately. Really he's been bringing it to another level for the past 2 months or so now.

I honestly never expected Ryan to play this well for us. I mean, I expected him to play well and score a bunch of goals. But right now he's playing the best hockey that has been played in a Sens uniform since Karlsson's norris season. I never though that he was capable of carrying this team on his back by himself. Always considered him more of a secondary piece. But right now he's proving that he can be a dominant force at BOTH ends of the ice, game in and game out. It's truly beautiful to see.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Ottawa isn't some scummy city like Montreal (when it comes to sports)

We might be hard on some players, harder than we "need" to be even: Spezza didn't deserve most of the grief he got

But we're not mindlessly rabid like that dumpster fire fanbase

In my anecdotal experience, casual fans still tend to look at the big rig in high regard.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In my anecdotal experience, casual fans still tend to look at the big rig in high regard.

Yeah lol casual fans are hilarious.

My mom still thinks Neil and Phillips are good players. I always have to correct her.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Interesting to hear Lehner's comments about hearing the boos. He's young and I think he's honest to a fault - most players have been trained to say that they don't hear the boos, don't read the media, etc., but it's not true. They are human, and they definitely hear it and see it. The question is how they choose to react to it. Obviously it is rattling Lehner a bit, and he needs to deal with that. All of this is further evidence as to why maturity is a big part of the development process for players, especially goalies...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Boro will apparently skate with Wiercioch on the third pair.

They seem like they could compliment each other nicely, It will be interesting to see how the fair.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So Boro will apparently skate with Wiercioch on the third pair.

They seem like they could compliment each other nicely, It will be interesting to see how the fair.

Very interesting pair. I wonder who plays the RHS. I believe Boro has played the right side in Bingo.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Interesting to hear Lehner's comments about hearing the boos. He's young and I think he's honest to a fault - most players have been trained to say that they don't hear the boos, don't read the media, etc., but it's not true. They are human, and they definitely hear it and see it. The question is how they choose to react to it. Obviously it is rattling Lehner a bit, and he needs to deal with that. All of this is further evidence as to why maturity is a big part of the development process for players, especially goalies...

Lehner is 23 and he acts like he's 23. Who can ever forget the infamous booing of Carey Price by Habs fans and his acknowledging their "bronx cheer"

Look how rattled he is. It affects young goalies. However, I truly believe guys like Lundqvist when he sees he can tune that out. I think it comes with age and experience. How often did you see Brodeur get rattled? As experience is gained so comes the ability to just shut out distractions.

This is what many of us were talking about when some of the less-knowledgeable around here demanded we dump Anderson and hand the reins to Lehner. A few bad stretches, the boos come out, and the kid's confidence goes in the toilet. There is no sheltering him if there isn't Anderson. Because of Andy, the team can take their time with Lehner and let him mature into a starting goalie. Stopping pucks isn't all of the job. It's the ability to focus, brush off bad goals, and ignore outside factors.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lehner is 23 and he acts like he's 23. Who can ever forget the infamous booing of Carey Price by Habs fans and his acknowledging their "bronx cheer"

Look how rattled he is. It affects young goalies. However, I truly believe guys like Lundqvist when he sees he can tune that out. I think it comes with age and experience. How often did you see Brodeur get rattled? As experience is gained so comes the ability to just shut out distractions.

This is what many of us were talking about when some of the less-knowledgeable around here demanded we dump Anderson and hand the reins to Lehner. A few bad stretches, the boos come out, and the kid's confidence goes in the toilet. There is no sheltering him if there isn't Anderson. Because of Andy, the team can take their time with Lehner and let him mature into a starting goalie. Stopping pucks isn't all of the job. It's the ability to focus, brush off bad goals, and ignore outside factors.

That is absolutely huge. You can tell with Lehner when he gives a bad one up he throws his arms in the air, glares at team mates and other stuff.

Getting scored on gets to him. He's gotta work on that big time. And his damn rebound control :P

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Very excited to watch the Devils play

Our game is boring to watch. Be forewarned.:laugh: Under the new coaching change the team has basically stopped taking offensive risk to play defense most of the game. As long as it works I guess I can't complain though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't mind Lehner getting angry after goals go in on him. Patrick Roy was like that. He wold give his team mates the look of death. Tuuka rask is like that allllllll the time. I swear he can let in a goal from center and it looks like he's blaming on if his defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad