Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Devils Feb. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 19m 19 minutes ago
Craig Anderson won't go to New Jersey and Chris Phillips won't play tomorrow. He will break the record at home Thursday. #Sen

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 10m 10 minutes ago
Craig Anderson hasn't been able to take shots because he hasn't been able to hold the stick. #Sens

Feel bad for Anderson. :(

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is Lehner's big chance

Let's see if he can run with it

Hopefully it helps his trade value and allows us to get Hall back

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
People just want to hate on Phillips, even when he plays well.

And the fact is he only plays remotely well when he sits out the previous 2 or 3 games to get him rested. And by playing well, I take it you mean doing what any competent NHL defender is expected to do? Overall, he's been bad this year, and bad last year. No bones about it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree, but chances are he's being bought out after this season anyways.

At least he will have the legacy of being the player who's played the most games here, tying Alfie last game.

GO SENS GO

I'd be amazed if they bought out Phillips, my guess is that he is on the team still for next season & he either asks to go to a contender next yr at the deadline or he retires at the end of the season. I assume the same will happen with Neil & Legwand although I could see Legwand traded to Nashville to end his career there. I could see Neil traded to Nashville as well to play again with his buddy Fisher if he gets some kind of commitment from them for another contract.

Of course, there is always the possibility that another team offers Phillips a contract after his contract with Ottawa is over & Ottawa does not re-sign him. Although, I doubt it but you never know weirder things have happened.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I'd be amazed if they bought out Phillips, my guess is that he is on the team still for next season & he either asks to go to a contender next yr at the deadline or he retires at the end of the season.

Ya, especially with this team's internal budget. If they aren't going to buy out Greening or are waiting to do so after the draft, then they won't buy out Phillips. Ideally, if the team doesn't trade him this year, Phillips sees the writing on the wall and retires after this season. He can move to a position with management or even some sort of assistant-coach/coaching consultant, similar to what Smith was before being made an official assistant. That way we can get all that veteran leadership without having to put him on the ice ;)

Of course, there is always the possibility that another team offers Phillips a contract after his contract with Ottawa is over & Ottawa does not re-sign him. Although, I doubt it but you never know weirder things have happened.

Like Redden being offered a deal worth $6.5 million per year after 2 seasons of sharply declining play? True, never underestimate a GM being dumb enough to overpay on something.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ya, especially with this team's internal budget. If they aren't going to buy out Greening or are waiting to do so after the draft, then they won't buy out Phillips. Ideally, if the team doesn't trade him this year, Phillips sees the writing on the wall and retires after this season. He can move to a position with management or even some sort of assistant-coach/coaching consultant, similar to what Smith was before being made an official assistant. That way we can get all that veteran leadership without having to put him on the ice ;)

Like Redden being offered a deal worth $6.5 million per year after 2 seasons of sharply declining play? True, never underestimate a GM being dumb enough to overpay on something.

That`s what I was thinking too but will they hire Alfredsson, Phillips & Neil? What other x-sens will want a job? :laugh:

Redden was exactly the guy I was thinking of when I wrote that, I mean you never know right? How many over the hill vets have Ottawa traded for or signed as UFAs in the last number of yrs? A few.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is Lehner's big chance

Let's see if he can run with it

Hopefully it helps his trade value and allows us to get Hall back

Young goalie plays poorly. Try to trade him.

Young goalie plays amazing, shows he's the goalie of the future. Try to trade him.

Lehner just can't win.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
That`s what I was thinking too but will they hire Alfredsson, Phillips & Neil? What other x-sens will want a job? :laugh:

Redden was exactly the guy I was thinking of when I wrote that, I mean you never know right? How many over the hill vets have Ottawa traded for or signed as UFAs in the last number of yrs? A few.

Well, really Phillips and Neil should focus on their restaurant/bar businesses.:sarcasm:

I wouldn't be surprised though if they keep Phillips and Neil around in some sort of ambassador roles. Purely for PR and event appearances. Otherwise, what will the writers in the Sun and Citizen do without their good buddies, the ones who have gotten completely free passes on their rapidly declining play the last few years because they're friendly with said writers away from the ice, around to heap praise on? :laugh: It's gonna be hilarious to watch them have nobody they actually WANT to write nice things about on a consistent basis.

And ya, Redden, who Murray still offered an extension to, albeit much lower than $6.5 million. Something closer to $3 million IIRC. Which, based on his play with the Rangers, was still far too much. Meanwhile, Ottawa got Kovalev:( To be fair, looked decent for the first part of his debut season. Then the Olympics came, which he didn't even go to, but he was awful after that. And who can forget deciding to get rentals like Andy "The Expert" Sutton and Matt Cullen in 2010. While both played well, kinda hard to justify even at the time when Ottawa was nowhere near actually contending.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
There are some people that are just so bipolar, that as soon as Lehner gets a bad string of games they throw him under the bus and want him out. There are also posters who just hold a personal agenda against him as seen in this thread, regardless if he wins or lose they want him out.

In Lehners last few scrums he has been calling out the market pretty much. He said hes been hearing boos and he said he has just left twitter altogether because its basically a **** show against him when he is struggling.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Perhaps a smaller market would be more to Lehner's liking? I think there could be an opening in upstate New York for him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Young goalie plays poorly. Try to trade him.

Young goalie plays amazing, shows he's the goalie of the future. Try to trade him.

Lehner just can't win.

Reliable sources have said he's in play trade-wise

Our GM has openly mused about Anderson being the starter for the short-to-mid term future to the media

If I had my way we'd keep him but, at the same time, we are looking at trading for some gamebreaking talent and that involves giving up some good players

If the powers that be have decided that they'll explore trading him then so it shall be, no point in fighting it. Might as well hope he plays well, gets some confidence, helps the team win some games and, if he's traded, he helps us get a better return.

If not then the confidence gained will be helpful next season

It's a win-win

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
There are some people that are just so bipolar, that as soon as Lehner gets a bad string of games they throw him under the bus and want him out. There are also posters who just hold a personal agenda against him as seen in this thread, regardless if he wins or lose they want him out.

In Lehners last few scrums he has been calling out the market pretty much. He said hes been hearing boos and he said he has just left twitter altogether because its basically a **** show against him when he is struggling.

Says the guy who unnecessarily "woohoo'd" because Phillips is out. The irony is strong with this one.

Karlsson2Turris*

Says the guy who unnecessarily "woohoo'd" because Phillips is out. The irony is strong with this one.

Maybe because Phillips is a washed up plug who his WELL past his prime while Lehner is a young goalie who is still developing :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad