Confirmed with Link: Sens Claim Jayce Hawryluk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
General consensus? If you mean this forum maybe, but i trust my evaluation more than the groupthink that generally goes on around here.
For instance - the general consensus is that

Demelo is a 5-6 D on most teams

Zaitsev is a scrub that is lucky to be in the NHL

Pageau is an elite shutdown centre with untapped offence

C. Brown is easily replaceable

I personally disagree with all 4 of the above statements.

Not sure what these other players have to do with the conversation but no the general consensus that they called up certain players first because they care more about other players development like Batherson, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov, Norris etc. Beaudin is not even in the teams top 20 prospects. He was called up because he is defensively responsible and wont hurt the team in the role he was playing in a season that is clearly a rebuilding one. I dont think he has true long term future with the team, playing a few games on the fourth line doesnt constitute a true future.

This isnt hf think this is common knowledge.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That is your hypothesis, I look forward to bringing this up next year. I see him as our 4th line centre moving forward replacing Anisimov.

I would love a 4th line at some point next of.
Paul - Beaudin - Chlapik

I have a hard time seeing Beaudin cracking our roster myself...
Even if we trade off both of Pageau and Tiereny (I suspect at least one will stay) we have center depth of:

White
Brown
Anismov (one year only, likely gone afterwards)
Norris
Pinto
Kelly (I think Beaudin is currently ahead of Kelly, but Kelly is two years younger, so things could change)
Gruden and Kastelic likely turn pro next year, so there's more competition on the way as well.

We probably add a center with one of our 1st round picks this year too.

For Beaudin to crack the roster, I think everything needs to go right for him. We need to move out bodies blocking his way, he needs to not get passed by higher upside players, and the team needs to not sign a vet UFA for that role like they have in past years (Thompson, Kelly).

Almost forgot about Hawryluk, he hasn't played center at this level yet, but might push a guy like Chlapik back to the center role if he makes the team.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
In the NHL games I used to pick up a revolving door of 4th liners off waivers and continuously ship them out for late picks

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
5’11” 196 lbs. takes a few PIMs.
Not a heavy weight but might be tough to play against on the 4th line. As I have not seen him play, I cannot provide any insight. I have low expectations so disappointment is unlikely.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Looking forward to watching him. (can't imagine he'll look better than ex senator veronneau in his first few games though)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I really like what I have seen from Hawryluk so far. He is very aggressive and puts a ton of pressure on puck carriers. He could add a bit of weight and get a bit stronger but overall he seems like a solid player. I look forward to seeing what kind of player he becomes; he could end up being a very solid piece of the rebuild for the Senators.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I really like what I have seen from Hawryluk so far. He is very aggressive and puts a ton of pressure on puck carriers. He could add a bit of weight and get a bit stronger but overall he seems like a solid player. I look forward to seeing what kind of player he becomes; he could end up being a very solid piece of the rebuild for the Senators.

He was impressive last night, for sure.

Reactions: Icelevel

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Really? I don't see more than 4th liner

Turns 25 y/o next season, not sure there's any development left.

He doesn't have anything near the high-end skill of the Sabu but I prefer his play away from the puck

The guy scored an average of 1,83 points in his final WHL season, tied for first place with Brayden Point who played less games. He was also second in +/- behind only Provorov that season. He won the title with Brandon that season and was, tied with Patrick, playoff topscorer.

He then went on to dominate a prospect tournament on a line with Malgin and Rau/Lammikko but unfortunately broke his hand while smashing Vrana in a onesided fight. This injury may have cost him a spot on the Panthers roster and he was only able to play a shortened AHL season instead. More injuries and changes in the Panthers organization (Gallant firing and Tallon "promotion" with grade a morons taking over) further delayed his development so there absolutely should be something left.

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
He’s a great energy guy to have. He was passed around too much in Florida to develop. Each new coach either loved or hated him. He can at times make a high risk play due to his aggressive style which can be good or bad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The guy scored an average of 1,83 points in his final WHL season, tied for first place with Brayden Point who played less games. He was also second in +/- behind only Provorov that season. He won the title with Brandon that season and was, tied with Patrick, playoff topscorer.

He then went on to dominate a prospect tournament on a line with Malgin and Rau/Lammikko but unfortunately broke his hand while smashing Vrana in a onesided fight. This injury may have cost him a spot on the Panthers roster and he was only able to play a shortened AHL season instead. More injuries and changes in the Panthers organization (Gallant firing and Tallon "promotion" with grade a morons taking over) further delayed his development so there absolutely should be something left.

I understand but injuries and missed development years is key. Many young players have had their careers derailed by injuries. Example, Stefan Noesen or Jared Cowen could/should have been better. And even without injuries, some never seem to be able to reach their potential to be able to have a long NHL career (ex : Lazar?)

Panthers just waived him because they gave up on him and no one was ready to give a pick to get him. Sens needed a jersey filler for after the trade deadline. It's possible that he finds his NHL niche but I'm not expecting it. And frankly, it's going to be very hard on the Senators in the near future

Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Brown x 2, Balcers, Formenton, Abramov, Chlapik, Duclair?, Tierney?, White, Paul, Ryan (2 more years?). Even after these 14 guys, there's (EDIT) Pinto, Davidsson, Gruden, Crookshank, Kastelic, Novak, Nurmi, Kelly, Beaudin, etc and the million upcoming draft picks

I don't see how JH makes this team for more than short term (maybe next year?), there's a massive logjam coming up at every position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sen sational

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Really? I don't see more than 4th liner

Turns 25 y/o next season, not sure there's any development left.

He doesn't have anything near the high-end skill of the Sabu but I prefer his play away from the puck

Yeah, I think you're wrong. From the limited play it sure seems like Jayce > Sabu.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I understand but injuries and missed development years is key. Many young players have had their careers derailed by injuries. Example, Stefan Noesen or Jared Cowen could/should have been better. And even without injuries, some never seem to be able to reach their potential to be able to have a long NHL career.

Panthers just waived him because they gave up on him and no one was ready to give a pick to get him. Sens needed a jersey filler for after the trade deadline. It's possible that he finds his NHL niche but I'm not expecting it. And frankly, it's going to be very hard

Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Brown x 2, Balcers, Formenton, Abramov, Chlapik, Duclair?, Tierney?, White, Paul, Ryan (2 more years?). Even after these 14 guys, there's Davidsson, Gruden, Crookshank, Kastelic, Novak, Nurmi, Kelly, Beaudin, etc and the million upcoming draft picks

I don't see how JH makes this team for more than short term (maybe next year?), there's a massive logjam coming up at every position.
While I agree with the gist of your point and dont see Hawryluk being a long-term Senator, I'm not so sure Hawryluk was waived in order to try to get rid of him; I think that was more about the Panthers trying to sneak him through. Apparently we saw him as a potential trade target and I suspect other teams put a claim in for him, so I think he probably could have returned something... just nothing worth losing a decent depth player for.

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad