Confirmed with Link: Sens Claim Jayce Hawryluk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Seems like DJs kind of player . I expect he will fit in fairly well on this team .. Lots of energy , works hard, limited skill.

So refreshing to see DJ demand hard work and effort from his players compared to the soft style of play Boucher reinforced.

It is pretty telling looking at the ice time of some of the players in 2018-19 vs 19-20. The guys that don’t work hard are in the AHL or 4+th line.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean, nothing new but once again the team targets guys the coach has a history with, does this happen so much on other teams? Maybe just a case of nhl coaches iften having ties to far more players than you would expect?

Generally coaches do prefer players they are familiar with but he coached him for 5 games before he was drafted. I doubt DJ had a hand in this.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know right? Just like everyone is getting excited about two lottery picks but we’ve got a second overall pick in Ryan who is a constant whipping boy when he’s playing. Are lottery picks even useful?

A second and a lottery pick are very different. The lottery pick is basically a lock to play in the league, as the three top picks in 2014 were. (Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Draisaitl). Second round picks, on the other hand, usually don't play in the league. (Go check out the second round of 2014 for confirmation.)

My point wasn't really about Jayce. Rather, it was that we as fans tend to overvalue draft picks. This is relevant because we are about to enter into a week when we are going to be giddy with joy at trading a pending UFA like DeMelo for a second round pick. The difference is that Dylan DeMelo has proven that he can play in the league every night. The odds are that the second we might get for him may never play a game in the NHL. Bottom line is that we have tons of picks stockpiled. What we now need to focus on is finding some guys who can actually play in the #$#$ing league.

Reactions: TheDebater

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So refreshing to see DJ demand hard work and effort from his players compared to the soft style of play Boucher reinforced.

It is pretty telling looking at the ice time of some of the players in 2018-19 vs 19-20. The guys that don’t work hard are in the AHL or 4+th line.

Glad you are enjoying it

Reactions: Xspyrit

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Panthers fan here.

Hawryluk never really got a good chance here in FLA and I do think he has some untapped potential. Plays a hard-nosed, in your face game, maybe like a Brad Marchand, Brendan Gallagher-style (emphasis on style, not saying he is or will be one of those guys), not afraid to give up his body. He doesn’t really drive offense on his own but I think given the right linemates he can be a good complimentary player, has the skill to contribute offensively. He’s been a RW since his jr days, he doesn’t play center much of at all, so don’t expect that. Relentless competitor, hard worker, protects the puck well, strong on his skates.

you can find gifs of him on @fla_prospects (I used to run that account for a couple years).

Edit: looks like someone linked to these tweets already lol

Thanks for the write up on him.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
A second and a lottery pick are very different. The lottery pick is basically a lock to play in the league, as the three top picks in 2014 were. (Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Draisaitl). Second round picks, on the other hand, usually don't play in the league. (Go check out the second round of 2014 for confirmation.)

My point wasn't really about Jayce. Rather, it was that we as fans tend to overvalue draft picks. This is relevant because we are about to enter into a week when we are going to be giddy with joy at trading a pending UFA like DeMelo for a second round pick. The difference is that Dylan DeMelo has proven that he can play in the league every night. The odds are that the second we might get for him may never play a game in the NHL. Bottom line is that we have tons of picks stockpiled. What we now need to focus on is finding some guys who can actually play in the #$#$ing league.

Yes I understand your point about overvaluing picks. I was just demonstrating that the way you went about making that argument (since Hawryluk, a former high second rounder is now on waivers we shouldn’t complain about the sens missing out on a second for Hoffman) when taken to its logical extreme, becomes nonsensical.

Of course second round picks have a chance of busting and becoming waiver wire pickups. They also have a chance of becoming Art Ross winners like Kucherov or Norris winners like Subban. It’s the same with lottery picks. I gave the Ryan example because he’s on our team but there are countless others.

Regarding the specific example of Hoffman,
picks are only as good as the people making them and developing the selected prospects (and even then there’s a significant miss rate). It’s the same thing for selecting guys « who can actually play in the f***ing league ».

Despite their many organizational flaws (including in my opinion pro scouting), the sens have shown a pretty solid track record at drafting and developing. I’d therefore argue that it makes perfect sense for fans to be disappointed at having missed out on a second round pick for Hoffman. Particularly when the alternative is Boedker who shouldn’t play in the league.

As for Demelo, for me it all depends on whether he wants to stay and at what price.

If he’s willing to take, say a 3 year deal at anywhere under 12 million total, I’d sign him. He’s an excellent partner for Chabot. Term is key because he can be an excellent bridge to let us develop JBD and Thomson. If he’s not willing to sign such a deal, a second is a good asset either to select and develop a player or to trade up for a guy our scouts are locked in on.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I mean, nothing new but once again the team targets guys the coach has a history with, does this happen so much on other teams? Maybe just a case of nhl coaches iften having ties to far more players than you would expect?
Maybe it happens more with teams who can't afford a full roster of scouts?

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In this case it’s a stretch to suggest one junior tournament where the coach had the player was a reason they went out to get him. A big stretch.

Generally coaches do prefer players they are familiar with but he coached him for 5 games before he was drafted. I doubt DJ had a hand in this.

I don't disagree, it's just the frequency it seems to occur with Dorion makes it hard to ignore. I wonder how it compares with other teams.

It's not even a bad thing, at least not in and of itself. This looks like a good pickup for a waiver claim, i would rather the coach have input than not after all.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't disagree, it's just the frequency it seems to occur with Dorion makes it hard to ignore. I wonder how it compares with other teams.

It's not even a bad thing, at least not in and of itself. This looks like a good pickup for a waiver claim, i would rather the coach have input than not after all.

It doesn’t take much ice time to determine a players worth ethic.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wonder why Florida was trying to sneak him through waivers? It strikes me that this is the worst time of year to try to get a guy through waivers - there will always be teams like Ottawa who are going to be sellers, and will need warm bodies to get them through the end of the year. Early in the year is when you can pull that trick, when everyone's rosters are full and the injuries haven't started to pile up yet...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It happens in TO for sure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It doesn’t take much ice time to determine a players worth ethic.
I'd argue the opposite tbh. You can be a good soldier for a short tournament only to let the bad habits creep back in when the grind of a full season comes along. It's what you do when nobody is paying attention that defines your work ethic, not what happens when the entire nation is watching.

That's not to say there isn't value in being able to dial it up when all the chips are on the table, that's certainly better than not having the work ethic ever.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We will see on Beaudin, although I am quite confidant you will be wrong.
Yeah he was called up because they dont see a long term future. They are more concerned about the development of the elite prospects. He wasnt being called up because he was more deserving.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'd argue the opposite tbh. You can be a good soldier for a short tournament only to let the bad habits creep back in when the grind of a full season comes along. It's what you do when nobody is paying attention that defines your work ethic, not what happens when the entire nation is watching.

That's not to say there isn't value in being able to dial it up when all the chips are on the table, that's certainly better than not having the work ethic ever.

I trust a coaches instincts. High energy motors and physicality can’t be faked. Players like LBrown, White, Arti can’t just become C.Brown types. Those guys can’t create that type of energy with their careers on the line and 10’s of millions waiting for them.

I also think it is a mistake to assume PD acquired him solely based off his Smith’s memory of a short tournament. There would be lots of additional info on the player.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I trust a coaches instincts. High energy motors and physicality can’t be faked. Players like LBrown, White, Arti can’t just become C.Brown types. Those guys can’t create that type of energy with their careers on the line and 10’s of millions waiting for them.

I also think it is a mistake to assume PD acquired him solely based off his Smith’s memory of a short tournament. There would be lots of additional info on the player.
Claiming White doesn't have effort is asinine

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah he was called up because they dont see a long term future. They are more concerned about the development of the elite prospects. He wasnt being called up because he was more deserving.
That is your hypothesis, I look forward to bringing this up next year. I see him as our 4th line centre moving forward replacing Anisimov.

I would love a 4th line at some point next of.
Paul - Beaudin - Chlapik

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That is your hypothesis, I look forward to bringing this up next year. I see him as our 4th line centre moving forward replacing Anisimov.

I would love a 4th line at some point next of.
Paul - Beaudin - Chlapik
Well he certainly wasnt outplaying those players. Its not just my hypothesis either its the general consensus because its obvious.

Reactions: OD99 and BondraTime

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Claiming White doesn't have effort is asinine

All those guys “try” ... but their efforts are not effective at influencing game play. CBrown types efforts are effective. He steals pucks, wins battles etc.

Batherson recently has shown a jump in his effectiveness. He is starting to win battles and make plays he wasn’t a few months ago.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well he certainly wasnt outplaying those players. Its not just my hypothesis either its the general consensus because its obvious.
General consensus? If you mean this forum maybe, but i trust my evaluation more than the groupthink that generally goes on around here.
For instance - the general consensus is that

Demelo is a 5-6 D on most teams

Zaitsev is a scrub that is lucky to be in the NHL

Pageau is an elite shutdown centre with untapped offence

C. Brown is easily replaceable

I personally disagree with all 4 of the above statements.

Reactions: JD1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad