GDT: Sens @ Cats| Thursday January 24 7:30PM| SNET-E

Berserker*

I really have to disagree with this. Regin, to me, continues to be ineffective. And I think it's not a matter of tools, although his slight frame doesn't help, but his head. I don't ever see him taking the next step.

I also think tonight highlights how badly we need to go out and keep a bottom pairing defenceman... someone who's likeable/good in the locker room, because this young team seems to get along and be having fun. Wiercioch, as much as I like him 2+ years from now, as a 4-5th, is so incredibly not ready for a full season. Having Benoit here at all is already a stretch. Phillips has stunk; Gonchar not much better. Please, Murray, go out and get another defenceman. We are going to look ridiculous at the back end against a good team, honestly.

Other than that - wow, Silfverberg. This guy has "it". Period.

Methot - is this how he played in Columbus? Is it unrealistic to expect him to keep up this level of play?

Generally, we have to keep in mind that Florida played a god-awful game tonight, and we played, say, average, which was enough to win. Tighten it up!

EDIT:
Dear god, it's been a long time... gotta get rid of David Roundleaf #7!

Regin has been average so far, he has his moments but he is incredibly overrated by this fanbase. I still remember when fans on here thought he was the next Zetterberg and that he would be a steal if re-signed at $3.5 million lol.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I really have to disagree with this. Regin, to me, continues to be ineffective. And I think it's not a matter of tools, although his slight frame doesn't help, but his head. I don't ever see him taking the next step.

I also think tonight highlights how badly we need to go out and keep a bottom pairing defenceman... someone who's likeable/good in the locker room, because this young team seems to get along and be having fun. Wiercioch, as much as I like him 2+ years from now, as a 4-5th, is so incredibly not ready for a full season. Having Benoit here at all is already a stretch. Phillips has stunk; Gonchar not much better. Please, Murray, go out and get another defenceman. We are going to look ridiculous at the back end against a good team, honestly.

Other than that - wow, Silfverberg. This guy has "it". Period.

Methot - is this how he played in Columbus? Is it unrealistic to expect him to keep up this level of play?

Generally, we have to keep in mind that Florida played a god-awful game tonight, and we played, say, average, which was enough to win. Tighten it up!

EDIT:
Dear god, it's been a long time... gotta get rid of David Roundleaf #7!

Wow.

Have you watched any of the other games played this season? If so, wake up.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Regin has been average so far, he has his moments but he is incredibly overrated by this fanbase. I still remember when fans on here thought he was the next Zetterberg and that he would be a steal if re-signed at $3.5 million lol.

Its too bad that he isn't 6'4, otherwise you would love him.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
If you are looking at Regin and looking at his points, and see he's not been overly productive, you may think he's been bad.

But watch him, and he's been quite good. Just incredibly snake bitten! But he fights hard, he hits hard, hes been great defensively.

I am watching him, and I (at this very moment) have no idea what his stats are this year. My comments are based purely on me watching him, and closely so.

When I say it's his head, I don't exactly mean hockey smarts. His are average, or fine. I don't even know exactly what it is, but I saw the same (mental) thing in Christoph Schubert. Just not a winner, doesn't have that fortitude or conviction. It's just my opinion from having observed him closely over many years, and why I don't think he factors into Ottawa's long term plans, despite his relatively young age. I think guys like Noesen and Zibanejad will overtake him on the third line in two years time, and that will be it for him here, if not sooner.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Wow.

Have you watched any of the other games played this season? If so, wake up.

"Wow," take it easy. I am watching. I bet if you asked fans from other teams what they thought of Peter Regin, they would say "who" or "I dunno." He's just not remarkable, and doesn't do anything good enough to carve out a role for himself. Anyway, relax. I've watched all 180 minutes of Sens hockey this year.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Wiercioch, as much as I like him 2+ years from now, as a 4-5th, is so incredibly not ready for a full season. Having Benoit here at all is already a stretch. Phillips has stunk; Gonchar not much better. Please, Murray, go out and get another defenceman. We are going to look ridiculous at the back end against a good team, honestly..

Wasn't about Regin

Gonchar has been awesome, Wiercioch was great in the other 2 games but poor tonight and Benoit has probably been equal or better then Wiercioch. 0 even strength goals against and Lundin is back in a few weeks. Why make a move? The team has allowed only 2 PP goals in 3 games and you somehow think they need to make a trade? Are you serious?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Regin and Condra are both new age players in that they have great puck possession stats but don't exactly do any "Wow" type plays, like hit people or dangle through the entire other team.

It's no surprise that it takes a certain type of fan to appreciate what they bring to a hockey team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It would be nice if people stopped jumping to conclusions about guys based on the first 3 after a lockout. Everyone on the team will be improving as games go on. So far i see nothing to be worried about.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Regin and Condra are both new age players in that they have great puck possession stats but don't exactly do any "Wow" type plays, like hit people or dangle through the entire other team.

It's no surprise that it takes a certain type of fan to appreciate what they bring to a hockey team.

I love Condra, and always have.

But thanks for that exceedingly pompous contribution.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

Very true. When I was growing up Shaun Van Allen was my favourite player lol. I love these kinds of players.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
At least we found out about the Huberdeau family camping trips during this game. I always wondered what the Huberdeau clan did while not at the rink.

I wanna know what Milan Michalek, the Hot Tamale Scorer, does while not at the rink. :laugh:

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Wasn't about Regin

Gonchar has been awesome, Wiercioch was great in the other 2 games but poor tonight and Benoit has probably been equal or better then Wiercioch. 0 even strength goals against and Lundin is back in a few weeks. Why make a move? The team has allowed only 2 PP goals in 3 games and you somehow think they need to make a trade? Are you serious?

Wiercioch is in my name for god's sake... and has been for a long time, before people jumped on the bandwagon. He's not ready to get serious minutes, against serious teams.

You just can't look at the fact that we've won three games, against terrible teams (Florida was farcically bad tonight), and think everything will be fine. It's predictable - our defense needs to be shored up. That's not even admitting our guys have been playing badly... our bottom pairing, even with Lundin back, will consist of two people who should not be occupying an NHL spot. Look ahead people.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

I'm sure we've all played with one of them. Guys who aren't particularly fast, aren't particularly strong, aren't particularly skilled, but they always seem to be where the puck's about to go.

And agreed with W2K. Benoit has looked shaky, to be honest. He's done a good job recovering when he makes mistakes, but he seems to bobble the puck frequently. Wiercioch is playing well under managed minutes, and that's what we should expect from him for most of the season.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I am watching him, and I (at this very moment) have no idea what his stats are this year. My comments are based purely on me watching him, and closely so.

When I say it's his head, I don't exactly mean hockey smarts. His are average, or fine. I don't even know exactly what it is, but I saw the same (mental) thing in Christoph Schubert. Just not a winner, doesn't have that fortitude or conviction. It's just my opinion from having observed him closely over many years, and why I don't think he factors into Ottawa's long term plans, despite his relatively young age. I think guys like Noesen and Zibanejad will overtake him on the third line in two years time, and that will be it for him here, if not sooner.

I guess I'm looking at Regin for what he is. He's playing a third line role and that's just perfect for him. He slots in nicely, has played well, been defensive, not been a liability, and has potential to be offensive. SO maybe I am not looking for the next coming of whoever. Especially for a player who's had injuries consistently, he's played well.

I didn't mean to sound like he's been our best player. But he's been solid, and better than I expected. And as a third liner, you can't really ask for a tonne more.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I'm sure we've all played with one of them. Guys who aren't particularly fast, aren't particularly strong, aren't particularly skilled, but they always seem to be where the puck's about to go.

Or we've been that guy :naughty: if we had any scoring touch at all, we'd be among the league leaders (in what ever league you're playing in) in goals, but we don't, so we aren't lol. I can't tell you how many open nets or posts I hit on open nets in my hockey life. I just never had a scoring touch. Always had the puck though or was around the puck.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
i think other than hitchock and the blues i think this sens team is one of the best coached teams in the leagues. I think Maclean does an awesome job getting the most out of this squad.

Im glad we dont play you guys 82 times a season, id swear we'd be 0-82.

Good luck this season rooting for you guys for the NE division.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Wiercioch is in my name for god's sake... and has been for a long time, before people jumped on the bandwagon. He's not ready to get serious minutes, against serious teams.

You just can't look at the fact that we've won three games, against terrible teams (Florida was farcically bad tonight), and think everything will be fine. It's predictable - our defense needs to be shored up. That's not even admitting our guys have been playing badly... our bottom pairing, even with Lundin back, will consist of two people who should not be occupying an NHL spot. Look ahead people.

Except Lundin has already proven to be an everyday NHL player.

And agreed with W2K. Benoit has looked shaky, to be honest. He's done a good job recovering when he makes mistakes, but he seems to bobble the puck frequently. Wiercioch is playing well under managed minutes, and that's what we should expect from him for most of the season.

I haven't. :P

I played baseball as a kid. :D

General Granny*

So Methot should have 4 points now if that Spezza goal counted the assists.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
i think other than hitchock and the blues i think this sens team is one of the best coached teams in the leagues. I think Maclean does an awesome job getting the most out of this squad.

Im glad we dont play you guys 82 times a season, id swear we'd be 0-82.

Good luck this season rooting for you guys for the NE division.

:handclap: thanks for the kind words.

Theodore was great tonight. He always seems to bring his 'A - game' against the Sens though.

How long is Gudbranson out for? That D is gonna look real good when he's back imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad