Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2015 (5th)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Harpur? Dzingel is a decent prospect

I get the Greening impresion from Dzingel. Basically he'll be serviceable 4th liner for a bit, then get too expensive for what he provides. Not exactly a diamond in the rough, and something you can find in free agency every year.

This is my completely uninformed opinion though, just was bringing up the topic as I got thinking about it as a result of a main board thread the other day and was trying to figure out how many 'exciting' prospects we've had since Hoffman and Stone in those late rounds.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I dont think Paul will be with the team to start the year and i kinda doubt he will dominate the AHL right away.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I get the Greening impresion from Dzingel. Basically he'll be serviceable 4th liner for a bit, then get too expensive for what he provides. Not exactly a diamond in the rough, and something you can find in free agency every year.

This is my completely uninformed opinion though, just was bringing up the topic as I got thinking about it as a result of a main board thread the other day and was trying to figure out how many 'exciting' prospects we've had since Hoffman and Stone in those late rounds.

Dzingel is almost the exact opposite of Greening. Dzingel is a pure skill/hands type of small player. Very similar to Hoffman imo. He's got a really nice shot and good one on one moves. If he makes it, it'll be as a scorer, not a grinder. Very boom/bust imo. Nothing like Greening.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Sens have a solid group of prospects, but nothing outstandingly special. Good mix of potential NHLers

Whiteeee

Yeah, I'm with you. Bunch of solid players at every position but no standouts. Paul and Chabot are the guys who could be the next Stone or Karlsson imo and surprise as big time players. Seems like some people think that of White, which is exciting.

Nice group though considering we already have one of the youngest groups in the league who are already a playoff team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
White should be 1st imo, simply cause he's very safe to make NHL and has highest upside of all forwards not named Paul perhaps. Prince too but his size makes it hesitant.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Diamonds take more years to shine. Stone and Hoffman took almost 4 years from draft year to get a sniff at the NHL.
Don't expect to see 2013-14 late picks make it until 2016-2017 at the earliest.

Wikstrand/Pageau and Claesson are all interesting late picks that may flourish or even play good support roles.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Diamonds take more years to shine. Stone and Hoffman took almost 4 years from draft year to get a sniff at the NHL.
Don't expect to see 2013-14 late picks make it until 2016-2017 at the earliest.

Wikstrand/Pageau and Claesson are all interesting late picks that may flourish or even play good support roles.

Well, ya, if you're considering late round picks. Many of our early round guys make it quite quickly.

Lazar from 2013 took 1 year
Ceci from 2012 took 1 year
Zibanejad from 2011 took 1 year
Cowen, Lehner from 2009 took 1 and 2 years
Karlsson from 08 took 1 year

We have 4 early guys and Paul in the system who can all be in the NHL by the time they are 21 IMO.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Chlapik has the highest offensive potential of all our forwards.

I still think Prince is better. Look at his progression, we'd be happy and lucky and Chlapik progresses as well as Prince has. Chlapik might have better success transitioning that potential to NHL though.

I also think White is still probably number 1, his numbers are terrific besides this year in which he suffered a lot.

Still think he has O'Reilly/Bergeron type ability and that's higher than most guys I see outside of possibly Paul, Paul is big question mark tbh.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I always forget if this is supposed to be based on top end potential, or likelihood to be a regular in the NHL (even if it is just bottom pair/4th line), or some mixture of both to however you assign importance.

Or like I have been suggesting for a while... DRAFT THE BPA

Something like this :

"if you were to build the best prospect pool possible, who would you pick among those guys?" and then you have the list.

I was looking back at drafts... and I'm thinking that for the most part though outside of the first two rounds not sure we've hit on many diamonds in the rough for the back part of the draft since Stone (2010) and Hoffman (2009).

This year maybe Daccord (long shot) and Jarros
2014... no one.
2013 there's Lindberg and Dunn who might be interesting
2012, Wikstrand?
Then at 2011 we've got Pageau graduated and Claesson on the cusp of maybe having a few games?

2011 : Pageau (already a NHLer and was a 4th rounder), Claesson, MacCormick and Dzingel (wouldn't be surprised if they all end up playing in the NHL. How long and how well is to be determined)
2012 : Wikstrand is looking very legit and I wouldn't count Baillargeon out just yet. Driedger too
2013 : Lindberg and Harpur? Dunn if you want too and of course Hogberg if we count the 3rd round
2014 : that draft sucked ass but the Sens still have 2-3 interesting projects out of it (Gendron, Eiserman and Perron)
2015 : Ahl, Jaros, Daccord...

Just don't expect to strike a Stone every year but pretty sure Sens are going to manufacture a solid group of players out of those +3 rounds from 2011 to 2015. My money is on Pageau, Dzingel, Claesson, Wikstrand, Lindberg, Perron and Jaros. Hogberg too. Sens are freaking solid at drafting/developing.

And last year we ranked him 26 on our list and definitely doesn't generally get much discussion around here.

Sens pool is that good and deep.

I can say those things now without having to explain because the players eventually prove themselves.

Sens have a solid group of prospects, but nothing outstandingly special. Good mix of potential NHLers

Whiteeee

Highest pick is a #18 overall one?

The quality of this pool based on where the Sens pick is what makes it outstandingly special.

Of course, somebody from the outside could look at that pool and think "wow it sucks" if that person was basing herself on draft position mainly...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
next i think i'll go chlapik, wikstrand, o'connor
(just a reminder for myself)

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Not sure if we're elite at the top of our list, but holy hell do we have depth.

O'Connor, Wikstrand and Gagne aren't even in our top 5.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I have a feeling Chlapik is going to make a large jump at the start of next season. He is going to make teams look foolish for passing on him.

I would have been happy with him at 18. Was sure the Sens were trading up to take him at 36 as I know they thought very highly of him.

I saw some mock drafts that had him going top 20. I think he went first round on the HF mock.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I always forget if this is supposed to be based on top end potential, or likelihood to be a regular in the NHL (even if it is just bottom pair/4th line), or some mixture of both to however you assign importance.

But I do think O'Connor's an exciting prospect and should fall in the top 5 for us.

I always have problems with that on here. Puempel IMO will be the next guy to make it to Ottawa & should be a decent player for them but I'm not sure he will be or is the best player on this yrs list of players.

I was looking back at drafts... and I'm thinking that for the most part though outside of the first two rounds not sure we've hit on many diamonds in the rough for the back part of the draft since Stone (2010) and Hoffman (2009).

This year maybe Daccord (long shot) and Jarros
2014... no one.
2013 there's Lindberg and Dunn who might be interesting
2012, Wikstrand?
Then at 2011 we've got Pageau graduated and Claesson on the cusp of maybe having a few games?

I don't know if anyone would call Brian Elliott at gem but he was one of the last players if not the last guy selected in his draft yr & while he wasn't that good with Ottawa, he did forge a decent career in St Louis winning the Jennings trophy one yr.

Gonna nitpick here, Puempel's rookie OHL season or his year right before the draft was phenomenal. He was top 5 material. I think you're really under selling him by saying he wasn't as good a prospect as the other 3. He's pretty damn compatible to White considering their injuries and health problems in their draft year and fall since preseason ratings.

Even when he fell, he was still considered the best or one of the top 3 best goal scorers in that draft which was a pretty solid one.

I agree, I guess it's because most on here prefer the former 67 Prince over Puempel but I think Puempel will be the better NHL player. He needs to stay healthy though which is a problem he has had over his career. I guess we'll see.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah, I'm with you. Bunch of solid players at every position but no standouts. Paul and Chabot are the guys who could be the next Stone or Karlsson imo and surprise as big time players. Seems like some people think that of White, which is exciting.

Nice group though considering we already have one of the youngest groups in the league who are already a playoff team.

Karlsson? Chabot could be a generational, multi-Norris winning player? Well, that's high praise. What are you basing that on? Stats or play?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson? Chabot could be a generational, multi-Norris winning player? Well, that's high praise. What are you basing that on? Stats or play?

Not saying he's HHOF bound or anything. Karlsson and Stone are just the best examples as the best Murray picks in his time and guys who far surpassed their expectations as prospects. Neither of those guys were supposed to be as good as they were even though they were great prospects.

I see Chabot and Paul as guys who could become top tier players despite their billing as only top 6 or top 4 guys, like Stone and Karlsson.

Chabot is easily my top ranked prospect for the Sens. His skating and skill are very high end and I think his weaknesses are things that will be easy to work on. I'd actually put his foot work almost on par with a 18-19 year old Karlsson. It's that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad