Kelly Summers
Christian Wolanin
Filip Ahl
Joel Daccord
Troy Rutkowski
Alex Guptill
Travis Ewanyk
Buddy Robinson

The poll will be open for 48 hours (unless it's a blowout).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Colin White @ 5 or 6 is gonna look silly in at least 6 months.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Colin White @ 4 or 5 is gonna look silly in at least 6 months.

In 6 months Prince, Paul and Puempel could all be NHLers. That wouldn't look silly at all. I'd bet a significant sum of money that this will be the case as well.

The top 6 are a toss up really.

I picked White and he's the first I've picked that I think will end up in the place they belong. Add Dreidger.

I think #7 is going to be an interesting debate.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I always forget if this is supposed to be based on top end potential, or likelihood to be a regular in the NHL (even if it is just bottom pair/4th line), or some mixture of both to however you assign importance.

But I do think O'Connor's an exciting prospect and should fall in the top 5 for us.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In 6 months Prince, Paul and Puempel could all be NHLers. That wouldn't look silly at all. I'd bet a significant sum of money that this will be the case as well.

The top 6 are a toss up really.

I picked White and he's the first I've picked that I think will end up in the place they belong. Add Dreidger.

I think #7 is going to be an interesting debate.

I always forget if this is supposed to be based on top end potential, or likelihood to be a regular in the NHL (even if it is just bottom pair/4th line), or some mixture of both to however you assign importance.

But I do think O'Connor's an exciting prospect and should fall in the top 5 for us.

I have a feeling Chlapik is going to make a large jump at the start of next season. He is going to make teams look foolish for passing on him.

I would have been happy with him at 18. Was sure the Sens were trading up to take him at 36 as I know they thought very highly of him.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I was looking back at drafts... and I'm thinking that for the most part though outside of the first two rounds not sure we've hit on many diamonds in the rough for the back part of the draft since Stone (2010) and Hoffman (2009).

This year maybe Daccord (long shot) and Jarros
2014... no one.
2013 there's Lindberg and Dunn who might be interesting
2012, Wikstrand?
Then at 2011 we've got Pageau graduated and Claesson on the cusp of maybe having a few games?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I was looking back at drafts... and I'm thinking that for the most part though outside of the first two rounds not sure we've hit on many diamonds in the rough for the back part of the draft since Stone (2010) and Hoffman (2009).

2014... no one.
2012, Wikstrand?
Then at 2011 we've got Pageau graduated and Claesson on the cusp of maybe having a few games?

Boro and Condra certainly come to mind.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Boro and Condra certainly come to mind.

They were 2008 and 2006 respectively.
2007 was a total waste of a draft.

Was just thinking more in terms of recent years and looking at how guys are projecting...
Basically since Anders Forsberg left (who apparently just signed with Buffalo last week).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

2014... no one.
2012, Wikstrand?

Francis Perron??? He is probably the second best prospect we got out of that draft.

Seems like we are hitting one per draft which is more than what you can ask for.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Francis Perron??? He is probably the second best prospect we got out of that draft.

Seems like we are hitting one per draft which is more than what you can ask for.

Eh, last years draft is basically a bunch of projects.

Perron had the best year out of those projects, but I'd still take Gendron and Englund over him. I know nothing of Eiserman so I won't comment on him.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Matt Puempel at #1... I still can't get over that. The worst #1 ranked prospect on here since Kaigorodov, or maybe ever.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They were 2008 and 2006 respectively.
2007 was a total waste of a draft.

Was just thinking more in terms of recent years and looking at how guys are projecting...
Basically since Anders Forsberg left (who apparently just signed with Buffalo last week).

Perron, McCormick and Dzingel. For me, McCormick is a guaranteed nhl player. He'll be at least a 4th line pest who scores a few goals. Dzingel and Perron each have the potential to be the next Hoffman.

We seem to grab one 5-7th rounder that'll be useful every year since 2008.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Matt Puempel at #1... I still can't get over that. The worst #1 ranked prospect on here since Kaigorodov.

Depends on your definition of what makes #1.
He's definitely got a significant chance to be on the opening roster next season for Ottawa. Won't be top 6, but should be there.
Are there others on the list more likely to eventually pass him? Yes. Is there a chance those guys could still bust? Yes.

And it wasn't really a runaway vote either.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Matt Puempel at #1... I still can't get over that. The worst #1 ranked prospect on here since Kaigorodov, or maybe ever.

I'd take my chances with Puempel over Brian Lee.

Puempel is gonna be a 20 goal guy with upside for more. He's not a bad #1 at all.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That will generally happen when the guys we just drafted have no body of work for those that haven't watched or followed them before.

All of Chabot, White (I haven't followed at all, but based on everything I've read and heard), and Chlapik are superior prospects than what Puempel was when he was drafted.

I believe that will be evident following this season.

Puempel has the advantage of being known, and basically an NHL player already.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Depends on your definition of what makes #1.
He's definitely got a significant chance to be on the opening roster next season for Ottawa. Won't be top 6, but should be there.
Are there others on the list more likely to eventually pass him? Yes. Is there a chance those guys could still bust? Yes.

And it wasn't really a runaway vote either.

I don't think he's a sure bet to be an NHL player. Can he be a productive goalscorer at the NHL level? Can he be an effective player if he is not scoring? It's not clear the answer is "yes" to these, and he's already 22 years old.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Colin White @ 5 or 6 is gonna look silly in at least 6 months.

I agree. I think he belongs in the top 3.

Also, to the guy saying we struck out after the 2nd round in 2014 - I have to disagree. We got four projects who all had really good years, in a draft year that didn't have great depth. I'm actually pretty confident that two+ will become NHLers. I think in 5 or 6 years, it might be looked at as our best late round haul. Gendron will be a 20+ minute guy if he develops his skill - he has an ability to play HUGE 35+ minute games. Eiserman is a bull, basically like an aggressive Greening. Summers made great strides this past year and Perron is one of the most polished 7th rounders we've drafted. Personally, I'm super happy with 2014 besides the fact that I don't see any top line talent. I do think we could get a couple 3rd liners and 4/5/6 DMen, though.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That will generally happen when the guys we just drafted have no body of work for those that haven't watched or followed them before.

All of Chabot, White (I haven't followed at all, but based on everything I've read and heard), and Chlapik are superior prospects than what Puempel was when he was drafted.

I believe that will be evident following this season.

Puempel has the advantage of being known, and basically an NHL player already.

Gonna nitpick here, Puempel's rookie OHL season or his year right before the draft was phenomenal. He was top 5 material. I think you're really under selling him by saying he wasn't as good a prospect as the other 3. He's pretty damn compatible to White considering their injuries and health problems in their draft year and fall since preseason ratings.

Even when he fell, he was still considered the best or one of the top 3 best goal scorers in that draft which was a pretty solid one.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gonna nitpick here, Puempel's rookie OHL season or his year right before the draft was phenomenal. He was top 5 material. I think you're really under selling him by saying he wasn't as good a prospect as the other 3. He's pretty damn compatible to White considering their injuries and health problems in their draft year and fall since preseason ratings.

Even when he fell, he was still considered the best or one of the top 3 best goal scorers in that draft which was a pretty solid one.

Ya, but if drafts worked like that Kylington would be valued much higher as a prospect than he is now.

I probably am underselling his value at the draft with hindsight, but I would still take all 3 of those guys before Puempel in a draft given their draft years. Chabot and Chlapik for sure, I said I'd be happy with either at 18 for months before the draft. White I'm admitting I'm going of what I've heard and read.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

2014... no one.
2012, Wikstrand?

Harpur? Dzingel is a decent prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad