Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2015 (4th)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
how did you people vote Nick Paul or Shane Prince above Colin White? The Sens wouldn't trade White for either player. They just picked him in the 1st round and he's been a fantastic prospect for years now.

To be fair, Nick Paul has developped to be better than a lot of 1rst rounders from his draft year. Very similar stats and size to a guy like McCarron in MTL who was drafted 25th. His size is also a good asset since he knows how to use it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
a second line centre is better than anything Prince or Paul will become, most likely.

Most websites and "scouts" develop a hivemind opinion about players when they really haven't seen them play a lot. White was a top 10 pick coming into the year and has great upside and a low bust ability.

Lazar was suppose to be a top ten pick at one point too. Prince was suppose to be a late first and fell. Draft position doesnt mean a ton and now were going off at one time projected draft position.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
He is expected to be better than prince. And in just about every way. I really like prince and want to see him in Ottawa, but there is a reason white was picked 40 spots ahead of prince

while I don't think its fair to base it from draft to draft I suppose I understand that point, while I don't agree with it.

Prince was supposed to be a 1st round pick FWIW but slid due to his size. Hes put on some man strength and IMO is right there with a lot of the 1st rounders from that draft. This is a guy that has the skill set for top 6, but can also play on a 3rd line if the depth above him is too strong for him to slide into the top 6. At this point all we know about white is that hes expected to be a good 2nd line center or elite 3rd line center.

If he reaches his ceiling, yes he is better than prince....but you have to see that people are going to go for the safer pick, ie. guys who are years along and are already meeting expectations on their development path, as opposed to shiny new toys that we really don't know much about yet.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
how did you people vote Nick Paul or Shane Prince above Colin White? The Sens wouldn't trade White for either player. They just picked him in the 1st round and he's been a fantastic prospect for years now.

Going into this year like half of HF said they wouldnt trade a late first to acquire stone. People/gms love their 1st round picks and recent first round picks. Prospects like Paul, Prince, Hoffman and Stone dont get a lot of respect as prospects until they are actually producing in the NHL.

Its very rare for players to be drafted and then almost immediately traded. GMs seem to think its poor taste or every GMs sees their prospect as best case scenario after being drafted.
Im just not sure what your saying has much value.

Based off what ive read here it would seem people think White has number one center upside and is a safe bet to be a number 2-3. If thats the case i couldnt be happier.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm very pleased that we re-stocked our high(ish) end prospect pool with O'Connor, Chabot and White in the last few months. We really needed that.

Edit: Super close poll. Nice.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Colin White has elite talent and a very high ceiling. You are wrong in continually knocking White. He is a team player at all costs and wins every championship he has ever played in. You will see this in the WJC this year. I'm not sure what scouts you are talking to, but most I have talked to, say he has a very high ceiling. I have seen him play for 2 years. He is highly skilled, very strong, very fast (NHL fast already) and will do whatever a coach asks of him. He also measured at Ottawa camp at 6'1 and is putting the weight back on he lost due to mono. I'm not sure how you say a kid who broke Toews record in the U17 WJC and won the U18 WJC (coming off a season of mono) for his team is a risk..

Every prospect is a risk and things could happen to any of them. White is the real deal 100%. Just ask any scout or coach he has ever played for and that will be your answer.

One last thing. Ottawa coaches and GM's were highly impressed and pleasantly surprised with White after camp regardless of your own personal assessment.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Lazar was suppose to be a top ten pick at one point too. Prince was suppose to be a late first and fell. Draft position doesnt mean a ton and now were going off at one time projected draft position.

Yes and to this day Lazar should have been a top 10. Better than Horvat.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
while I don't think its fair to base it from draft to draft I suppose I understand that point, while I don't agree with it.

Prince was supposed to be a 1st round pick FWIW but slid due to his size. Hes put on some man strength and IMO is right there with a lot of the 1st rounders from that draft. This is a guy that has the skill set for top 6, but can also play on a 3rd line if the depth above him is too strong for him to slide into the top 6. At this point all we know about white is that hes expected to be a good 2nd line center or elite 3rd line center.

If he reaches his ceiling, yes he is better than prince....but you have to see that people are going to go for the safer pick, ie. guys who are years along and are already meeting expectations on their development path, as opposed to shiny new toys that we really don't know much about yet.

Prince is definitely not safer than White, IMO.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Going into this year like half of HF said they wouldnt trade a late first to acquire stone. People/gms love their 1st round picks and recent first round picks. Prospects like Paul, Prince, Hoffman and Stone dont get a lot of respect as prospects until they are actually producing in the NHL.

Its very rare for players to be drafted and then almost immediately traded. GMs seem to think its poor taste or every GMs sees their prospect as best case scenario after being drafted.
Im just not sure what your saying has much value.

Based off what ive read here it would seem people think White has number one center upside and is a safe bet to be a number 2-3. If thats the case i couldnt be happier.

the point is Colin White and Thomas Chabot are better prospects than anybody in our minor league/ prospect system right now.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
I feel like you are imagining some things being said. As far as I see....no one has said that White had a bad camp. No one said he was a risk ( far from it in fact).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yes and to this day Lazar should have been a top 10. Better than Horvat.

the point is Colin White and Thomas Chabot are better prospects than anybody in our minor league/ prospect system right now.

Just FYI, there is a "multi" button in the bottom right corner of each post, you can select multiple posts using it so you don't have to triple post.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011

I think youre confusing what I said. Theres a big difference between being a safe pick (in terms of being drafted into the NHL), and being a safer pick in a prospect poll due to NHL closeness. But FWIW I agree White is suuuuper safe lol.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Colin White has elite talent and a very high ceiling. You are wrong in continually knocking White. He is a team player at all costs and wins every championship he has ever played in. You will see this in the WJC this year. I'm not sure what scouts you are talking to, but most I have talked to, say he has a very high ceiling. I have seen him play for 2 years. He is highly skilled, very strong, very fast (NHL fast already) and will do whatever a coach asks of him. He also measured at Ottawa camp at 6'1 and is putting the weight back on he lost due to mono. I'm not sure how you say a kid who broke Toews record in the U17 WJC and won the U18 WJC (coming off a season of mono) for his team is a risk..

Every prospect is a risk and things could happen to any of them. White is the real deal 100%. Just ask any scout or coach he has ever played for and that will be your answer.

One last thing. Ottawa coaches and GM's were highly impressed and pleasantly surprised with White after camp regardless of your own personal assessment.

Im not knocking White. When i say scouts im not talking about NHL scouts but rather publications that hire people to scout players and make projections.

I want to be very clear because youve said this a few times. I am not knocking White. I have never seen him play outside highlights. I am not so foolish to start giving analysis if i havent seen him play. I provided TSNs projection for him as a 2nd-3rd line center

I will now give another projection for him

NHL Potential:

Middle-six two-way forward that can play center or wing.

http://thehockeywriters.com/colin-white-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I feel like you are imagining some things being said. As far as I see....no one has said that White had a bad camp. No one said he was a risk ( far from it in fact).

This so much. People arent even saying the things hes refuting. I AM NOT GIVING MY PERSONAL ASSESSMENT ON WHITE. LETS MAKE THAT CLEAR.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Im not knocking White. When i say scouts im not talking about NHL scouts but rather publications that hire people to scout players and make projections.

I want to be very clear because youve said this a few times. I am not knocking White. I have never seen him play outside highlights. I am not so foolish to start giving analysis if i havent seen him play. I provided TSNs projection for him as a 2nd-3rd line center

I will now give another projection for him

http://thehockeywriters.com/colin-white-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

The Hockey Writers is not a good source.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Looking at your post history for a few seconds, can I assume your screen name is correct and you work in the industry? You seem to have been all over the map watching these kids.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe a number of hockey analysts have called O'Connor a future #1 goalie, how then can he not be a top prospect on this board?

Prince on the other hand may never make it to the NHL, we don't know where he is on the Sens depth chart. Remember when Petersson was going to play on Spezza's wing for the next decade? I think Prince is in the same category, a maybe at best, although I do concede that some NHL teams may be looking at getting smaller & faster players, TO seems to be, considering their past draft.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
I believe a number of hockey analysts have called O'Connor a future #1 goalie, how then can he not be a top prospect on this board?

Prince on the other hand may never make it to the NHL, we don't know where he is on the Sens depth chart. Remember when Petersson was going to play on Spezza's wing for the next decade? I think Prince is in the same category, a maybe at best, although I do concede that some NHL teams may be looking at getting smaller & faster players, TO seems to be, considering their past draft.

Whether that is true or not, goalies are almost always going to be selected later than they probably should. Just comes with the territory of playing the games hardest position I guess.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007

I agree with the above. A lot of people are going to look foolish voting for Paul and prince ahead of white. Chabot and white are our top 2 prospects, and it's not particularly close. And no, this is not "new toy syndrome." These two are simply higher quality prospects than anything else we have in our system. White has #1 centre upside, and chabot has top pairing upside.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
I don't think there is one report out there that has either of those 2 guys pegged for what you just claimed. I'd love to see one if there is though.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I don't think there is one report out there that has either of those 2 guys pegged for what you just claimed. I'd love to see one if there is though.

Only time will tell. I think there is a chance we have Bergeron and bouwmeester 2.0 on our hands here. The sens scouting staff probably had both these guys ranked in their top 15 in an insanely deep draft. To me, that says a lot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Every time one of these prospect polls happens, you get the same thing; some people valuing potential more, and others valuing NHL readiness.

Guys like Paul and Prince are really close, and there is value to that. They could both be playing middle six mins this year if all goes right but could peak at being a tweener

Guys like Chabot and White probably have higher upside, as top 4 / top 6 players, but will take longer to get there.

What you value more is your own perogative, there really is no wrong way of looking at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad