Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2015 (1st)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If the poll is for closest to the NHL, probably Prince.

If it's for the best kid long-term.....I dunno....we have a cluster of kids who could have a good impact in the NHL. Puempel, White, Chabot, O'Connor are all in that top grouping.

I guess Prince is the top pick for now.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
The killer P's

Kind of a toss up for me - went Paul just cause I think he has the biggest upside. A small improvement in speed and I think he's a stud in the NHL. I already see a guy that will be a decent player, kid can play.

Prince and Puempel are right behind as good prospects but I don't see either as top line players.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I don't agree with how you guys seem to be rating our prospects. NHL readiness should not trump talent. I'm pretty damn confident that the organization values White and Chabot over Paul and Puempel.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't agree with how you guys seem to be rating our prospects. NHL readiness should not trump talent. I'm pretty damn confident that the organization values White and Chabot over Paul and Puempel.

If you look at the past rankings there is a strong correlation between the list and guys that graduated into the NHL.

I am more interested in the rankings for how ready they are for the NHL, that's obviously their ultimate goal.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
If you look at the past rankings there is a strong correlation between the list and guys that graduated into the NHL.

I am more interested in the rankings for how ready they are for the NHL, that's obviously their ultimate goal.

2010: Cowen # 1
2011: Rundblad and Cowen over Zibanejad (Who the Sens had just picked sixth overall)
2012: Silfverberg over Zibanejad and Stone
2013: Lehner over Ceci, Lazar, and Stone

Yeah, I’m pretty comfortable voting for talent over NHL readiness.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
when I read prospect rankings I read it as "who is the best now". Who is our best prospect now? well... would it not be the guys that are closest to being in the NHL? We don't have any fresh rookies ala huberdeau/mackinnon/Landeskog who can come in after being drafted and already be our most talented and ready prospect for the NHL. So until that happens, people are gonna vote for the guys who are closest.

think of it this way.....if you look at dev camp....who were the best guys out there? puempel and paul. They are all prospect regardless of when they were drafted. And our older guys just so happen to be the best of them currently.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If the poll is for closest to the NHL, probably Prince.

If it's for the best kid long-term.....I dunno....we have a cluster of kids who could have a good impact in the NHL. Puempel, White, Chabot, O'Connor are all in that top grouping.

I guess Prince is the top pick for now.

I went with pure upside.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
when I read prospect rankings I read it as "who is the best now". Who is our best prospect now? well... would it not be the guys that are closest to being in the NHL? We don't have any fresh rookies ala huberdeau/mackinnon/Landeskog who can come in after being drafted and already be our most talented and ready prospect for the NHL. So until that happens, people are gonna vote for the guys who are closest.

think of it this way.....if you look at dev camp....who were the best guys out there? puempel and paul. They are all prospect regardless of when they were drafted. And our older guys just so happen to be the best of them currently.

I understand what you mean, but I fundamentally disagree with this way of thinking. I don't care who's the best now. The word "prospect" means a POTENTIAL return. These polls should not be about who is the best now, they should be about who will be the best in their primes.

By your logic, Matt Puempel is a better prospect than Auston Matthews. And that's just patently false.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
I find using the definition of the actual word prospect to how we apply it to the NHL very weak.

also if you look at one of my main points....I said that WE haven't had a prospect in a long time that could come in and be the number one guy right now. Obviously guys like Matthews mcdavid strome ect. come in and immediately become number one. But we don't have that and haven't really ever had that....so I don't see how I made that point into my logic because im pretty sure I specifically targeted that scenario.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I find using the definition of the actual word prospect to how we apply it to the NHL very weak.

also if you look at one of my main points....I said that WE haven't had a prospect in a long time that could come in and be the number one guy right now. Obviously guys like Matthews mcdavid strome ect. come in and immediately become number one. But we don't have that and haven't really ever had that....so I don't see how I made that point into my logic because im pretty sure I specifically targeted that scenario.

Right now, Auston Matthews is not NHL ready, whereas Matt Puempel is. Matt Puempel would outperform Auston Matthews in a development camp. Does that make Puempel the better prospect? It's projection that determines the quality of a prospect.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

So you prefer Robinson over Chabot/White/Gagne/Chlapik?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I basically decision tree it. What's the prospect's ceiling? How good is that & how likely is he to achieve it? What's the floor? What value and how likely is he to be there. Basically weigh the odds and payoffs and take the highest guy.

I don't actually create a decision tree, but that's how I think it through.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
So you prefer Robinson over Chabot/White/Gagne/Chlapik?

Nope! Cause personally I dont see what the org sees in Buddy. hes good don't get me wrong....but I don't think he has any business challenging for a spot on this team given who we have above him.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
Right now, Auston Matthews is not NHL ready, whereas Matt Puempel is. Matt Puempel would outperform Auston Matthews in a development camp. Does that make Puempel the better prospect? It's projection that determines the quality of a prospect.

I don't think we have anyway of knowing what Matthews would bring to a development camp. Do I think he would be one of if not the best guys? I think so

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
I don't get why people keep bringing up Matthews to challenge my point when I specifically said guys like him don't apply :P

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
My order:

Paul
Puempel
Prince
White
Wickstrand
Chabot
Lindberg
O'Connor
Wideman
Dzingel
Gagne
Claesson
Harpur
Chaplik
Robinson
Hogberg

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I think you're selling Puempel short. The guy was picked as one of the best pure scorers in his draft year and was seen as have potential for 30 goals.

Since then, he's rounded out his game, improved most of his skills including skating, and gained man strength. He may not consistently score 30, but he's certainly got the shot and the will to go to the dirty areas to be a consistent 20 goal guy. He's also proven that he's willing to put in the work and follow the organization's instructions to progress through the ranks.

That's a pretty darn good player. These are good reasons to vote for him over an relatively unknown commodity who may not even have higher potential than Puempel in the first place.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Paul-- future 3 liner at best
Puempel future 3 liner at best
Prince future 3 liner at best
White 3 liner center at best
Wickstrand bottom pair to dark horse
Chabot could be a blue chip prospect
Lindberg will surprise a lot of people blue chip prospect top six forward potential
O'Connor could be a blue chip prospect
Wideman dark horse
Dzingel ----------
Gagne dark horse
Claesson ------------
Harpur dark horse
Chaplik could be a blue chip prospect
Robinson dark horse
Hogberg could be a dark horse

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
I picked Prince. It seems that Prince is quite underrated from the list. No doubt Puempel and Paul are good, but I thought Prince had a much better two way game and speed than Puempel during their stint last season. I really wasn`t sure why Prince was sent back down ahead of Puempel. Though, Puempel did pick up his play when he started getting more minutes.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Lindberg, Chaplik, O'Connor and Chabot are very close to be in blue chip prospects category .

Out of this group, Lindberg is the closest one to make the team. So no brainer here, talent wise, the best prospect of 2015 is Lindberg.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I am a little surprised how differently we determine what "best prospect" means.

For me, it is a simple question. Which player has the highest value. Right now Peumpel is winning, but if he was traded to Boston, would he have returned one of their 3 1st rounders?

Chabot was my choice as he was the 18th, then White at 21, then Paul who was THNs 43rd ranked prospect in their prospect list, then perhaps Peumple/Prince/O'Connor/Gagne/Chlapik

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Paul-- future 3 liner at best
Puempel future 3 liner at best
Prince future 3 liner at best
White 3 liner center at best
Wickstrand bottom pair to dark horse
Chabot could be a blue chip prospect
Lindberg will surprise a lot of people blue chip prospect top six forward potential
O'Connor could be a blue chip prospect
Wideman dark horse
Dzingel ----------
Gagne dark horse
Claesson ------------
Harpur dark horse
Chaplik could be a blue chip prospect
Robinson dark horse
Hogberg could be a dark horse

Curious to know why you would consider Chaplik a potential blue chipper yet already label someone like Paul and Puempel as career 3 liners at best.... You seem to be favoring the newer wave of prospects.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It should be about both closeness (portfolio) and ceiling (pedigree). Rank each on a scale from 0 to 10, then multiply the two, and you got your ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad