Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (9th)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
That's managements fault... Teams cruising to a top three pick and deals Elliott for Anderson... Who plays lights out for a new contract

And the team gets Zibanejad instead of Hopkins or Ladeskog

What was the point of keeping Spezza if the team was rebuilding... Would have much higher value being dealt a few years ago

No direction

It really is disappointing. This team could have had a real rebuild and the fans would have been 100% behind it.

I understand management's desire to get better, but there needs to be a semblance of short term and long term planning.

But we have this. This is the team we have now that "the rebuild is over."

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It really is disappointing. This team could have had a real rebuild and the fans would have been 100% behind it.

I understand management's desire to get better, but there needs to be a semblance of short term and long term planning.

But we have this. This is the team we have now that "the rebuild is over."

Karma has a way of coming back to haunt us (see Daigle), I wholeheartedly support not tanking intentionally for a chance at Nugent-Hopkins (who I don't really see as a championship piece) or Landeskog (who in my opinion is an elite secondary piece, and not quite a cornerstone). who knows, we might have just not quite sucked enough and ended up with Strome or Huberdeau and no number one goalie. If we had been in reach of the 1OA pick in 2008 (Stamkos Doughty) or 2009 (Tavares Hedman) maybe it's worth it, but I'm happier not intentionally tanking.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The envy for Buffalo is pretty amusing. I like the direction but they're far off from being close to relevant. Maybe it's that I don't see much in their top prospect, unless they actually do manage to get McDavid or Eichel, they could he rebuilding for a long long time.

Grigorenko, Zadorov, Arma, and Reinhart aren't anything special. I like Girgensens and Risto but they aren't going to be franchise type players. There aren't any Karlssons, Ryans or even Turris' in there.

The Fuhr*

Do the Sens have a better prospect pool then other division teams such as the Cats, Wings, Bolts, Jackets and Habs

Have a tough time selling me that this group of prospects will be better then what those teams are developing

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lazar the teams top prospect might become Callahan one day... The teams best prospect is projected to be a wicked secondary piece...

I see nothing better then secondary pieces... Team has zero game breakers outside of EK on the roster (Hopefully Ryan resigns) or in the system coming to help

The thing is top players dont always come from the top 5 picks. Benn, Weber, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Alfredson, Lundqvist the list goes on, are all franchise players that were picked up later in the draft. I do know we havent drafted any player thats are sure thing to be great like Crosby or Stamkos but we have drafted exceptionally well with the picks we have at least by the standard that the players are producing at every level theyve been at.

Hoffman 6th round pick about to probably get his real shot of NHL action. We'll see what we have in him this year. Hes arguably an AHL level franchise player and has been a game breaker at every level hes played. He could very well break out at the NHL level and prove hes nothing but a natural goal scorer

Stone 6th round pick has dominated every year at every level hes played. Who's to say he doesnt develop into a dominant NHL player.

Puempel all he does is score. Counting only healthy seasons hes basically scored or averaged 30 goal 8 years in a row despite the level. We'll see if his consistency can carry over to the NHL

Wilstrand has developed into an elite offensive talent in the lower leagues in Sweden. Still a long ways to go before he proves himself at the SEL level and the AHL but hes a game breaking talent on the teams he plays for.

If these players reach theyre full NHL potential they will be game breakers

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Do the Sens have a better prospect pool then other division teams such as the Cats, Wings, Bolts, Jackets and Habs

Have a tough time selling me that this group of prospects will be better then what those teams are developing

Jackets and Habs? Absolutely, yes. The habs have a decent pool but nothing to put them ahead of us. The Panthers have a great prospect pool if you include Barkov and Bjugstad but they're still the Panthers so I need to see them actually do something. Our prospects brought us to the playoffs a year ago, so I dunno what the complaint is on that front.

The Fuhr*

Jackets and Habs? Absolutely, yes. The habs have a decent pool but nothing to put them ahead of us. The Panthers have a great prospect pool if you include Barkov and Bjugstad but they're still the Panthers so I need to see them actually do something. Our prospects brought us to the playoffs a year ago, so I dunno what the complaint is on that front.

I'd say the .940sv% goaltending brought the team to the playoffs in the lockout shortened season.

It certainly was not the pathetic offense

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say the .940sv% goaltending brought the team to the playoffs in the lockout shortened season.

The offense produced tons of chances; if you're going the route of suggesting that the .940sv% was unsustainably high, then you have to admit the 6.01 Sh% was unsustainably low.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The offense produced tons of chances; if you're going the route of suggesting that the .940sv% was unsustainably high, then you have to admit the 6.01 Sh% was unsustainably low.

tM1gpGU.gif

:sarcasm:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

That was a major reason for it, but one of those goalies putting up those numbers was Robin Lehner, one of those sick prospects you mentioned. The other major reason for the berth was all the prospects stepping up in place of injuries. Can't dismiss what Wiercioch, Gryba, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Bishop, and Lehner did that season. They've already accomplished more than what most of those Buffalo prospects will in their entire career.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Joel Armia is their 6th best prospect?
Mark Pysyk is the 7th?

wow their pool is leaps and bounds better than ours! :sarcasm:

- Obviously, their first 3 best prospects (Reinhart, Ristolainen & Zadorov) have great potential, indeed they were 2nd, 8th and 16th overall. How does it compare to where the Sens usually draft? But IMO, Lazar, Ceci and Stone is not too shabby either as a top-3 despite not having the high OA picks status.

- Mikhail Grigorenko is their 4th and also a 12th overall pick. I'd compare him with Gutpill. Ton of potential, but remains to be seen if they have what it takes to be impact players at the NHL level. Of course, the hype factor is very different and Guptill is very unpopular compared to Grigs.

- J.T. Compher is their 5th best prospect, what makes him so much better than Ryan Dzingel or I dunno, Shane Prince? Both are more proven

- Joel Armia (4 months older than Puempel) = AHL Rookie Season : 54 games, 7 goals 20 assists 27 points

vs

Matt Puempel = AHL Rookie Season : 74 games, 30 goals 18 assists 48 points

- Mark Pysyk is likely a smaller Wiercioch with less offensive ability. We have that (difference is we have more guys who have graduated recently)

- Jake McCabe at 8th. We could easily have that very quickly in Englund.

-Their 9th, Brendan Lemieux, 31st overall in the 2014 weak draft is heir 9th best prospect...

I tell you, HF lives and dies by draft selecting order. I say remove Reinhart and Ristolainen and I don't see the difference, expect that the Sabres sucked so bad the last few years that they had a lot more early picks than the Sens

I'm pretty sure there's a few better pools than the Sabres actually even though it is seen as the 1st on HF.

=======================================================

I'm throwing a "let's see in 5 years here"

Reinhart vs Lazar
Ristolainen vs Ceci
Zadorov vs Claesson
Grigorenko vs Stone
Compher vs Dzingel
Armia vs Puempel
Pysyk vs Wikstrand
McCabe vs Englund
Lemieux vs Pageau
Fasching vs
Ullmark vs Hogberg
Baptiste vs
Carrier vs
Hurley vs
Larsson vs
Bailey vs
Catenacci vs
Cornel vs
Johansson vs
Karabacek vs

Who wants to continue? I'm going to put this in the other thread

And keep in mind that the youth quality already graduated is not even comparable on both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad