Sens Board Prospect Rankings 2014 (9th)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
So the prospects became Turris (a wicked 2C) and a guy who's a UFA in less then a year (who may or May not re-sign)

Awesome

You cherry-picked out Ceci, who could be a longterm top 4 D, Lazar who's still a rockstar prospect, and Boro, Stone, Hoff, Pageau who are all legitimate prospects. I know you like to say every franchise has those guys, and maybe that's true. But it's still not fair to just dismiss them out of hand.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So the prospects became Turris (a wicked 2C) and a guy who's a UFA in less then a year (who may or May not re-sign)

Awesome
You know full well what our prospects became but for the sake of it
Our prospects became.
2013 Hockey prospects
1.Mika zibanejad NHL 3rd line center top 6 upside
2.Jakob Silfverberg Bobby Ryan trade
3.Robin Lehner NHL backup goalie starter upside
4.Cory Conacher Bust
5.Stephan Noesan Bobby Ryan
6.Dreiger AHL backup/ahl starter
7.Patrick Wiercioch NHL shelter offensive dmen
8.Cody Ceci NHL defensemen
9.Matt Puempel AHL top 6 forward
10.Mark Stone AHL top liner top 6 nhl forward
11.Shane Prince AHL top 6 forward
12.Eric Gryba decent bottom pairing dmen
13.Jean-Gabriel Pageau Top 6 ahler/4th line NHLer
14.Mark Boro AHL all star likely bottom pairing dmen cause 1 way contract
15.Andre Petersson traded for Alex Grant
16.Stephane DaCosta AHL top line center KHL bound
17.Mike Hoffman likey AHL MVP nhl 4th/3rd liner or ahl bound
18.Fredick Claessan Top 4 ahl dmen led all players in plusminus
19.D.Grant 4th line NHLer or bottom 6 ahler
20. Balligeron?

So far we can only say conacher has busted well were waiting to see what the others can do

The Fuhr*

I don't really see the foundation of a cup winner in that prospect pool.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Not a single Cup-winning team was ever built exclusively on prospects. We've got some good complementary pieces, some solid building blocks at the NHL level and plenty of assets to make a trade if the opportunity arises.

But this is the prospect ranking thread, not the "why do all our prospects suck" thread.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Plenty of players proven to have top end offensive talent in lower leagues that either havent been given the opportunity in ottawa or have only played a small amount of games. We find out this year what we have in most our forwards. I admit on the defensive side of the ice most our players are taking longer to develop or have played below expectations.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

We've never picked high enough to see such a bright future for the team in our prospect pool. Highest we've picked is 6th, which got us Zibanejad. He's going to be a very good player one day, but is no star in the making. We never picked high enough to get a Toews or a Kane. It's not surprising you don't see a cup winner from a prospect pool considering where the team has selected since Murray has been GM.

Our prospect pool is very solid, certainly good enough to make us a playoff team for the foreseeable future if our GM is competent at his job. However, Melnyk's budget will realistically kill any chance of this team being a cup winner. Best we can hope for is a perrenial playoff team that excites the fanbase with flashes of being a contender.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, that's partially because the only A+ prospect we've had is already playing for the Sens, and has won himself a Norris. At 24 years old, he'll be around for a while.

Sabres have an awesome prospect pool, but I don't see a Toews or Kane, I don't see a Malkin or Crosby, I don't see a Doughty or Kopitar.

The thing is, getting the foundation of a cup winner is more about good fortune than anything else.

The Fuhr*

Well, that's partially because the only A+ prospect we've had is already playing for the Sens, and has won himself a Norris. At 24 years old, he'll be around for a while.

Sabres have an awesome prospect pool, but I don't see a Toews or Kane, I don't see a Malkin or Crosby, I don't see a Doughty or Kopitar.

The thing is, getting the foundation of a cup winner is more about good fortune than anything else.

I think the Sabres plan on getting that franchise forward at the 2015 draft... Should be a top five pick.

If the Sens rebuilt properly the prospect pool would have been incredible... But half assed rebuild gets a middle of the pack prospect pool

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I would't even label it as a "half assed" rebuild. It was Melnyk cheaping out, Murray trying to win anyways and marketing spreading prospect and rebuild koolaid.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think the Sabres plan on getting that franchise forward at the 2015 draft... Should be a top five pick.

If the Sens rebuilt properly the prospect pool would have been incredible... But half assed rebuild gets a middle of the pack prospect pool

Buffalo has THREE first round picks in this upcoming draft, the one that everyone seems convinced is going to be amazing.

They are going to be regularly kicking the **** out of us soon enough.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Buffalo has THREE first round picks in this upcoming draft, the one that everyone seems convinced is going to be amazing.

They are going to be regularly kicking the **** out of us soon enough.

Maybe they could even do what Edmonton has done in only one year of futility instead of three. Wouldn't that be special.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Maybe they could even do what Edmonton has done in only one year of futility instead of three. Wouldn't that be special.

Edmonton is looking more and more like the exception rather than the rule.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009

Eberle 24 - 6M
Hall 22 - 6M
RNH 21 - 6M

Hard to win nowadays when players make big money as soon as their ELC's are up. It used to be that you had to wait until you were 27+ to get big contracts.

Different NHL these days, thanks Columbus for the Rick Nash deal 10 yrs ago..

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Probably.

Still don't like the hyperbole though. :p:

I don't think my predictions are that exaggerated.

They have a very supportive ownership group, underwent a full and comprehensive rebuild (selling off assets at the right time for fairly good value), and seem to have a very clear direction for the franchise.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Eberle 24 - 6M
Hall 22 - 6M
RNH 21 - 6M

Hard to win nowadays when players make big money as soon as their ELC's are up. It used to be that you had to wait until you were 27+ to get big contracts.

Different NHL these days, thanks Columbus for the Rick Nash deal 10 yrs ago..

Edmonton wanted so hard to believe those guys were going to be their Toews and Kane they decided to just pay them as such in hoping they'd live up to the contracts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Do you prefer Florida? The highest they've finished with since the 2000-2001 seasons was 94 pts, and they were usually much lower. They have 4 top 3 picks in the last 5 years. Buffalo hasn't done anything special. They just sucked enough to get high picks, and if they're lucky, they'll suck enough next year to get someone special.

The Islanders aren't much different either, though they have Tavares to show for their 4 top 5 picks in the last 5 years. They had 5 top 5 picks in 6 years from 1995-2000, how did that work out?

For every Chicago, and Pittsburgh there is a New York Islanders, Edmonton and a Florida. Maybe Buffalo will be the former, maybe the later, but it tends to have as much to do with luck as it does with doing a "proper rebuild".

I'd rather see my team try and be competitive, then watch them roll the dice and try and be the next Pittsburgh, or Chicago. Even then, once Pittsburgh and Chicago scored at the draft, it took some very good acquisitions to put them over the top.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Do you prefer Florida? The highest they've finished with since the 2000-2001 seasons was 94 pts, and they were usually much lower. They have 4 top 3 picks in the last 5 years. Buffalo hasn't done anything special. They just sucked enough to get high picks, and if they're lucky, they'll suck enough next year to get someone special.

The Islanders aren't much different either, though they have Tavares to show for their 4 top 5 picks in the last 5 years. They had 5 top 5 picks in 6 years from 1995-2000, how did that work out?

For every Chicago, and Pittsburgh there is a New York Islanders, Edmonton and a Florida. Maybe Buffalo will be the former, maybe the later, but it tends to have as much to do with luck as it does with doing a "proper rebuild".

I'd rather see my team try and be competitive, then watch them roll the dice and try and be the next Pittsburgh, or Chicago. Even then, once Pittsburgh and Chicago scored at the draft, it took some very good acquisitions to put them over the top.

The Islanders have only had one pick above 4th since DiPietro in 2000. That was of course Tavares. Since 2010, the Oilers have picked first overall three times and added Draisaitl with the 3rd overall pick.

While the percentages of grabbing a top talent NHL player in the top 5 are good, they are far better with the top overall pick.

As for Florida, in 2013, they used their first draft pick higher than third overall since 1994 when they picked up Barkov. I admit they have had a number of high picks in the past (mostly a collection of 3rd overall players in Horton and Bouwmeester), but they haven't really ever had the spots like they've had in the past few years (3 top 3 picks in the past 4 years). It's still perhaps too soon to tell, but their highest picks have only come in the past 2 years.

Either way, Chicago and Pittsburgh clearly had the wherewithal to support the fantastic young talent they did acquire with financial backing. As bigger market teams, that's hopefully what one would expect. The new ownership group in Buffalo has expressed that their support comes with less limitations on spending, and while I understand they haven't had to put up much cash at this point, their open willingness to acquire bad contracts along with draft picks was at least a show of good faith.

We seem to be lacking here both the high-end picks as well as the financial support.

The Fuhr*

Lazar the teams top prospect might become Callahan one day... The teams best prospect is projected to be a wicked secondary piece...

I see nothing better then secondary pieces... Team has zero game breakers outside of EK on the roster (Hopefully Ryan resigns) or in the system coming to help

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I don't think my predictions are that exaggerated.

They have a very supportive ownership group, underwent a full and comprehensive rebuild (selling off assets at the right time for fairly good value), and seem to have a very clear direction for the franchise.

Good for them. Hope it works out for Tim's sake. It definitely could. Claiming that we'll be the doormat to a theoretically stacked Buffalo lineup sometime soon is still rather premature.

For the moment we've still got our own thing going on. That's already been hit with a couple setbacks. However, last year notwithstanding, we've been able to win our fair share. Maybe we'll suck forever, maybe we won't. Like Buffalo will have to wait and see how their new pieces will coalesce in the future, we're right in the thick of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Islanders have only had one pick above 4th since DiPietro in 2000. That was of course Tavares. Since 2010, the Oilers have picked first overall three times and added Draisaitl with the 3rd overall pick.

While the percentages of grabbing a top talent NHL player in the top 5 are good, they are far better with the top overall pick.

As for Florida, in 2013, they used their first draft pick higher than third overall since 1994 when they picked up Barkov. I admit they have had a number of high picks in the past (mostly a collection of 3rd overall players in Horton and Bouwmeester), but they haven't really ever had the spots like they've had in the past few years (3 top 3 picks in the past 4 years). It's still perhaps too soon to tell, but their highest picks have only come in the past 2 years.

Either way, Chicago and Pittsburgh clearly had the wherewithal to support the fantastic young talent they did acquire with financial backing. As bigger market teams, that's hopefully what one would expect. The new ownership group in Buffalo has expressed that their support comes with less limitations on spending, and while I understand they haven't had to put up much cash at this point, their open willingness to acquire bad contracts along with draft picks was at least a good show of faith.

Don't get me wrong, Buffalo is in a good spot to succeed, but there are no guarantees. If they don't land a McDavid, are they any better off than Florida and their collection of 3rd overalls, and Barkov? Had Chicago not won the lottery to get Kane, or had the done a little better the year before and nabbed Staal with the 2nd OA instead of Toews with the 3rd the franchise runs a completely different course.

At the end of the day, luck of the draw is the biggest factor; what you do when you luck out is what separates Edmonton from Chicago though.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Lazar the teams top prospect might become Callahan one day... The teams best prospect is projected to be a wicked secondary piece...

I see nothing better then secondary pieces... Team has zero game breakers outside of EK on the roster (Hopefully Ryan resigns) or in the system coming to help

Usually you get high end prospects (drouin,Ekblad,Reinhart,Bennet) by being a garbage hockey team. When is the last time the Senators have had the chance to pick in the top 5 like Chicago or La or Colorado or these other teams with "high end" prospects. I think we've done good considering where we have been picking and you should have some patience and let these guys develop

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Usually you get high end prospects (drouin,Ekblad,Reinhart,Bennet) by being a garbage hockey team. When is the last time the Senators have had the chance to pick in the top 5 like Chicago or La or Colorado or these other teams with "high end" prospects. I think we've done good considering where we have been picking and you should have some patience and let these guys develop

Well we had a chance before trading for Anderson, probably could have landed Huberdeau or Landeskog. I don't think either ranks up there with the Toews/Kane/Malkin/Crosby types, but Landeskog at least is better than anyone we've had a chance at.

The Fuhr*

That's managements fault... Teams cruising to a top three pick and deals Elliott for Anderson... Who plays lights out for a new contract

And the team gets Zibanejad instead of Hopkins or Ladeskog

What was the point of keeping Spezza if the team was rebuilding... Would have much higher value being dealt a few years ago

No direction

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's managements fault... Teams cruising to a top three pick and deals Elliott for Anderson... Who plays lights out for a new contract

And the team gets Zibanejad instead of Hopkins or Ladeskog

What was the point of keeping Spezza if the team was rebuilding... Would have much higher value being dealt a few years ago

No direction

Realistically we probably would have ended up with Huberdeau, there was almost no chance of us getting Hopkins, and even 2nd OA was 50/50 at best.

Also, the point of keeping Spezza is that we didn't want to move him. in an Ideal world, we'd still have him. Not sure you can call that lack of direction, the direction we were going was having him as our #1 center for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, who trades away their 27-29 year old #1 center when they are trending upwards? Alfie jet on us, and Spezza got injured. From that point on, Spezza hasn't been tradable until this past trade deadline, at which point his value was already compromised.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad