Confirmed with Link: Sens are a 50 million dollar team

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
that's what you get from that short passage?

to me it just reads as "we are currently a 50m-team" implying that we could add salary if we wanted and we have no needs to trade money away. simply: we are in no cap-troubles whatsoever. i don't read anything about melnyk willingness to spend in the summer into that.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I think it was clear in the article that, even though they are currently a $50M team, he also made it clear that that means they have room to make a move if they needed to or wanted to.

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
I'm hoping some of our players can earn the extra cap space we have. I look at the free agents and the only guy I like is Gonchar.

Either that or they wont be going anywhere like Perry.

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
Wiess or whatever his name is seems like the best player we could get in the off season. Turris as a third line centre would be nice.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I hope this is only for the rebuild. Melnyk has shown that he's willing to spend before, and if he believes we have a legitimate chance sometime in the next few seasons I think he'd be willing to spend.

If not, then ****. I hope the cap comes down to a reasonable level.

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
Here is a intresting list from

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com

Craig Custance of ESPN: Custance put together a list of the top 20 rental players that could be available at this year’s trade deadline or before.

“You can’t let players walk,” said one NHL source. “If you’re going to lose players, you have to get something.”

1. Corey Perry – $5.3 million. Asking price could be a roster player, 1st round pick and a good prospect.

2. Daniel Alfredsson – $4.9 million. Asking price could be a 1st round pick, B-level prospect and conditional draft pick based on playoff success.

3. David Clarkson – $2.7 million. Asking price could be a 1st round pick and a prospect. Source added, ”You only try to do that if you think you can re-sign him.“

4. Jarome Iginla – $7 million with a no-movement clause. Asking price could be a Grade A prospect and a 2nd round that becomes a 1st if the team wins the cup.

5. Mike Ribeiro – $5 million with a no-trade clause. Asking price could be a 1st round pick and a B-level prospect.

6. Mike Smith – $2 million. Asking price could be a 1st round pick and a prospect.

7. Mark Streit – $4.1 million. Asking price could be a A-level prospect and a 2nd round pick.

8. Jaromir Jagr – $4.6 million. Asking price could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

9. Lubomir Visnovsky – $5.6 million. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick.

10. Clarke MacArthur – $3.3 million. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick and good prospect.

11. Dustin Penner – $3.3 million. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick.

12. Brenden Morrow – $4.1 million with a no-trade clause. Asking price could be a B-level prospect plus a conditional pick based on playoff success.

13. Sergei Gonchar – $5.5 million with a no-movement clause. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick, or more if multiple teams are interested.

14. Milan Hejduk – $2 million with a no-movement clause. Asking price could be a 3rd round pick.

15. Steve Sullivan – $2.6 million. Asking price could be a conditional 2nd round pick.

16. Ian White – $2.9 million. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick.

17. Nate Thompson – $900,000. Asking price could be a 2nd round pick.

18. Stephen Weiss – $3.1 million with a no-movement clause. Asking price could be a 3rd round pick that becomes a 2nd if team re-signs him. Would give the team more time to re-sign him.

19. Robyn Regehr – $4 million with a no-movement clause. Asking price could be a B-level prospect plus a 4th round draft pick.

20. Nik Antropov – $4 million with a modified no-trade clause. Asking price could be a 3rd round pick.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
From the list above I'd take Morrow and Visnovsky on this team. With Anderson and Spezza back we could do some damage in the playoffs.

what?

we simply weren't on nash's list of possible destinations...

That's what he's saying...we were willing to go after Nash who has a big cap hit. He just wasn't willing to come here.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
We're over 50m right now, so I don't think that's what BM meant.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The following is a $51.4M team (gave Alfie and Gonchar 4m, Condra 1.5m)

Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)

?????????????/ Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.000m)

Chris Neil ($1.900m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Erik Condra ($1.515m)
Jim O'Brien ($0.638m)/ Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($0.900m)
Peter Regin ($0.800m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Sergei Gonchar ($4.000m) / Jared Cowen ($1.265m)
Chris Phillips ($3.083m) / Patrick Wiercioch ($0.827m)
Eric Gryba ($0.563m) /
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
Buyout: Bobby Butler ($0.200m)

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As much as there would probably be opposition to getting Penner...he has actually picked his game up a little bit recently.

TheOriginalSilf*

Would be nice if they could get Penner

vomit.gif

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/a-welcome-return-spezza-could-be-back-in-23-weeks

So I would not be expecting the Sens to make a big splash in this summers UFA frenzy

Which is fine of course but the dreams of signing a guy like Perry are unrealistic

This might be unrealistic for various other reasons besides money. I don't know if Perry would like to play on a small-market team like Ottawa. If he's offered Getzlaf money by multiple teams, I don't expect him to play for a rebuilding team - as another example.

Murray was seriously pushing for Nash and if players of that quality became available, I expect him to push for them as well. Euge has already said (different interviews with Sun, etc. that I don't currently have links to but most board members are aware of, IMHO) that he will re-evaluate finances on a case-by-case basis.

Mephias

Oct 8, 2008
Burnaby, B.C.
Thanks Fuhr for taking one line and using it out of context.

Here's the entire paragraph where the quote is from:

Murray says the Senators have room to take on salary, if they decide to make an addition at the trade deadline. Of course, there is always the chance the club could shed some salary, as well.

“We’re a $50-million team,†Murray said.

“We won’t use all this space, but have the opportunity if we want to add a player.â€

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Not surprised I always hear rumors that UM looses money. Not sure if true.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
A good friend of mine's uncle is Perry's agent I guess I will have to seduce her and get close to him asap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad