News Article: Sens announce changes in Hockey Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The only way DJ and PD get fired is if the team falters this season, but if the team makes the playoffs then I could see DJ and PD sticking around for a while. All of you DJ and PD haters are in a tough situation do you cheer for the Sens to have success or do you cheer for the Sens to crap the bed and get rid of DJ and PD?
"BigHockeyFan to the Principal's office, please!"

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The only way DJ and PD get fired is if the team falters this season, but if the team makes the playoffs then I could see DJ and PD sticking around for a while. All of you DJ and PD haters are in a tough situation do you cheer for the Sens to have success or do you cheer for the Sens to crap the bed and get rid of DJ and PD?
So, you assume that the fans who are supposedly DJ/PD "haters" are not really Senator fans?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Our pro scouting staff is arguably the worst in the league and they should be fired and replaced, not shuffled around.
Our pro scouting staff has had awful results. How much is PD or Melnyk related ? I have no idea. I’d be on board with a complete overhaul going into next offseason.

Reactions: bert

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So, you assume that the fans who are supposedly DJ/PD "haters" are not really Senator fans?
I'm sure they are Sens fans, but when people are doubling down, it really makes you wonder. But I suppose it's just really hard for some to admit they were wrong.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm sure they are Sens fans, but when people are doubling down, it really makes you wonder. But I suppose it's just really hard for some to admit they were wrong.
I don't know, but I guess I give people (most people, but not all) more credit. The idea that you must fit into the "hater" or "lover" camp is rather simplistic and inaccurate imho. I think a lot of people (maybe most) don't see things on such a binary level and that they can detect "grey" areas and not just what is black or white.

And people, can be right some times, and wrong at other times. Once again, it's not as simple as if the person is a hater/lover that they are always wrong or right.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Promotion - Chief Executive role incoming.

;)
buy a home in Barrehaven West. It is brand new, built mostly by Minto and not Claridge and is 20 minutes from the CTC.

Welcome to Ottawa. Say Hello to our 4 seasons: Winter, before winter, after winter and construction.

Keep your Uber account handy, LRT breakdowns are daily.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know, but I guess I give people (most people, but not all) more credit. The idea that you must fit into the "hater" or "lover" camp is rather simplistic and inaccurate imho. I think a lot of people (maybe most) don't see things on such a binary level and that they can detect "grey" areas and not just what is black or white.

And people, can be right some times, and wrong at other times. Once again, it's not as simple as if the person is a hater/lover that they are always wrong or right.
I think a lot of them don't see it that they were wrong. The team got to where they are now and are in a good spot. But does that really mean anyone was wrong or right? I don't see it so easily settled. It is gray. If some of their decisions turn out better than they did, maybe they expedite a little bit and say make the playoffs last year and/or have a much better season the year prior. Maybe they don't face the cap crunch they're facing this year and ice an even better team. Lots could have gone better. Would it have mattered to the ultimate goal of contending and the team we see today? Who knows, that's impossible to qualify. Does it mean they were bad moves or just worked out poorly? Who knows, but there's good arguments for both sides on many decisions that were made.

Also, Melnyk was a problem and the franchise has operated quite differently since his passing. Things likely don't look near as rosy right now were he still here. That's where I think people should be at least somewhat forgiving of some of Dorion's decisions.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If anything, this suggests bigger changes aren't coming. Andlauer is expected to get the keys this week. Why would Dorion have the go-ahead to hire more of his own guys if he wasn't sticking around?
PD will be here for at least until Jan 1st. Then all bets are off.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

you are fundamentally correct, but in a distorted kind of way.

Some 20 years ago, I was in a relationship with a women that had mastered the art of turning things on me. No matter what she did, she would argue "well if you loved me``, Which was great, so if I spoke up against anything she did or said, well, I did not love her!!!! My fault.

f***, she was good at it. She could leave me stranded in teh middle of winter, if my car broke down.. I better apologize to her when I got home. Or it was my fault for not loving her!!

I will send you two picture of her and you can have them up as your avatars.

DJ and PD have put us through hell. From 2017/2018 until today.. 6 seasons, this team has finished around 25th or 26th overall.. on 3 occasions, 30th or 31st. It has broken the 20h once.. At 20th. A cumulative win/loss record the last 6 years that is 4th or 5th worst.

That is not something to be proud of. That is something to be angry at.
They promised FYOUS in 2021 and 2 years later, IT MAY COME.. As I watch TV or listen to radio or read article. it is 50/50 that they make the playoffs.. So FYOUS, should it start, may be in 2024/2025!!!

And We have to endure "if you love me" .. Isn't wonderful, no matter what goes on... "If you love me"...

I wouldn't use that on your wives... you may find your belongings outside the house and a lawyer's letter with them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dumb post. I’m not a dj or Dorion fan but at the end of the day we all want them to succeed and the team to make it into playoffs
Can't root for or like the Sens unless you like DJ and Dorion .

giphy.gif

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think a lot of them don't see it that they were wrong. The team got to where they are now and are in a good spot. But does that really mean anyone was wrong or right? I don't see it so easily settled. It is gray. If some of their decisions turn out better than they did, maybe they expedite a little bit and say make the playoffs last year and/or have a much better season the year prior. Maybe they don't face the cap crunch they're facing this year and ice an even better team. Lots could have gone better. Would it have mattered to the ultimate goal of contending and the team we see today? Who knows, that's impossible to qualify. Does it mean they were bad moves or just worked out poorly? Who knows, but there's good arguments for both sides on many decisions that were made.

Also, Melnyk was a problem and the franchise has operated quite differently since his passing. Things likely don't look near as rosy right now were he still here. That's where I think people should be at least somewhat forgiving of some of Dorion's decisions.
Yes, with Melnyk, it was always hard to know what moves Dorion would have made without the Melnyk or budget constraint factor. But, there were also some bad moves that were head scratchers and just not good moves no matter what rational is used. It's a mixed bag when it comes to Dorion, some good moves, and some bad. You can still be a strong supporter of the team and love the Senators even if you are critical of some (not all) of the moves that were made. I think a lot of people fall into that category. It's an internet web site, so you can't expect everyone to agree on everything anyhow. That's an unrealistic expectation.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, with Melnyk, it was always hard to know what moves Dorion would have made without the Melnyk or budget constraint factor. But, there were also some bad moves that were head scratchers and just not good moves no matter what rational is used. It's a mixed bag when it comes to Dorion, some good moves, and some bad. You can still be a strong supporter of the team and love the Senators even if you are critical of some (not all) of the moves that were made. I think a lot of people fall into that category. It's an internet web site, so you can't expect everyone to agree on everything anyhow. That's an unrealistic expectation.
Agreed.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

There are always poor trades and acquisitions for any GM. It’s fine to be unhappy and negative about PD for some bad moves… BUT I would really love to hear from the true PD haters on what exactly he did outside of the poor trades and acquisitions that makes them think PD is a bad GM. I know there are a few folks that have some built up angst over PD keeping the job.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No matter who the GM is, or who the Head Coach is, there will never be 100% support from the fan base, there will always be a percentage who dislike the GM or Coach for whatever decisions they make and how the team is being manage/coach.

Yes, there Comes a time when the majority of the fans want a change in the GM or Coach…. But I don’t think we’re there yet with the Senators.

DJS was an assistant coach, and has brought into Ottawa to Coach a team undergoing a rebuild… now he has to step up his game, and crack the whip when necessary, and sit players when it is justified…. and now the team has enough depth that he can do this, without putting the team at risk of losing a game because sitting a top line player, and replacing him, is not diminishing the teams chances of winning as they did before there was the level of depth we see now.

PD still has the “fire the coach” card in his wallet, if the team falters in the first 20 games…. and if he does use that card, to refocus the team, he better hope it works soon and the team plays to expectations, as his job is the next to be on the line, after using the “fire the coach” card.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There are always poor trades and acquisitions for any GM. It’s fine to be unhappy and negative about PD for some bad moves… BUT I would really love to hear from the true PD haters on what exactly he did outside of the poor trades and acquisitions that makes them think PD is a bad GM. I know there are a few folks that have some built up angst over PD keeping the job.

What do you mean? That's 90% of a GM's job.

Main responsibilities are trading and signing players, plus the hiring of staff.

Guy gives Sanderson 64M after a single season and people somehow forgive and forget that he just lost a lot of value renting DeBrincat for a year after taking an unnecessary risk acquiring him. He also traded Gustavsson for Talbot last off-season and then gave 20M/5YRs to a similarly unproven but older goalie who had a worse season. Not to mention trying to sign Tarasenko for 22M/4YRs (which thank god he declined) and putting this team in cap issues due to previously signed contracts given to Joseph, Murray, MDZ, White, etc...

It's easy to sit back and let Trent Mann hit homeruns at the draft and sign RFAs to big long-term deals (incredibly easy to do as they literally can't leave for another team). Any GM (apparently besides Kyle Dubas) could do it, but a competent one isn't going to make the same kind of egregious mistakes Dorion has made acquiring players. That's the main difference a GM makes to a team and overall he's done a really bad job at it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Main responsibilities are trading and signing players, plus the hiring of staff.

Guy gives Sanderson 64M after a single season and people somehow forgive and forget that he just lost a lot of value renting DeBrincat for a year after taking an unnecessary risk acquiring him. He also traded Gustavsson for Talbot last off-season and then gave 20M/5YRs to a similarly unproven but older goalie who had a worse season. Not to mention trying to sign Tarasenko for 22M/4YRs (which thank god he declined) and putting this team in cap issues due to previously signed contracts given to Joseph, Murray, MDZ, White, etc...

It's easy to sit back and let Trent Mann hit homeruns at the draft and sign RFAs to big long-term deals (incredibly easy to do as they literally can't leave for another team). Any GM (apparently besides Kyle Dubas) could do it, but a competent one isn't going to make the same kind of egregious mistakes Dorion has made acquiring players. That's the main difference a GM makes to a team and overall he's done a really bad job at it.

I think he has done a fine job. Did master Trent get hired anywhere yet?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What matters is that the good heavily outweigh the bad.

There are 31 other GMs out there. I don't expect Dorion to win every single trade, just like I don't expect any team in the NHL to go 82-0.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

"Lost a ton of value"???

Lots are expecting Boston and Detroit will miss the playoffs the year. Dropping from 7th to 10-15 is not "lost a ton of value".

plus the hiring of staff.
...like Trent Mann???

The mental gymnastics you're jumping though to refuse giving any credit to Dorion is getting ridiculous.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
you my want to revisit that line.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What matters is that the good heavily outweigh the bad.

There are 31 other GMs out there. I don't expect Dorion to win every single trade, just like I don't expect any team in the NHL to go 82-0.
I don't think many posters in here expect any GM to win every single trade. That was kind of my point in the first post I made. Most are just not "haters" (or the converse) and have more balanced and rational opinions despite what some like to portray.

Most of us are hoping for a very good year this year I suspect after all that the fans have been through. Its time for some positive results.

Reactions: swiftwin

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
No…. It’s specific
so a guys does poor acquisitions and poor trades... As a GM..

and we are suppose to be okay with it.

So Mrs. Lincolin, did you like John Wilks Booths' performance in that play?

HUH ?????????

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't think many posters in here expect any GM to win every single trade. That was kind of my point in the first post I made. Most are just not "haters" (or the converse) and have more balanced and rational opinions despite what some like to portray.

Most of us are hoping for a very good year this year I suspect after all that the fans have been through. Its time for some positive results.
I agree. Many are coming around on Dorion. There are still a few stragglers who are refusing to give Dorion any credit for building this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad