Post-Game Talk: Sens 3 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
that was basically my thinking the instant we learned Bones was the guy two years ago. Really didn't feel very strongly that he was the coach to get this team over the hump so to speak.

I can't buy the whole conditioning idea. I just can't believe that these players and coaches can go season after season not knowing what they need to do in terms of preparing for a full season. This deal has gone on through many different personnel and coaching changes. I think it just comes down to the reality that we have a core that is just a step below real top end NHL calibre talent. Helly has probably covered some of that but the truth is just that our best players aren't quite consistent enough and reliable enough to get the job done.
Yeah, these guys are professional athletes in the prime of their life. They show up to camp in shape (vs 40 years ago when training camp was to get in shape lol)

Just between 82 games and practices/skates and workouts, there isn't enough time during the season to de-condition. I've read somewhere that NHL players can lose up to 20lbs over the course of the season

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Some changes I'd make in the short term are , not playing Tofolli, he's to slow in my opinion, and not scoring. I'd bring in Cole and put him in that position. Also would be playing Samberg more, and give Brossoit more starts.

Longer term, I don't think I'd sign Bowness for next season, I would not sign Tofolli, and I would think of trying to resign Monahan, depending on price. I'd also think seriously about trading Connor.

I would never hire Scott Arniel to be head Coach, maybe OK as an assistant.

ALSO - I'd bring up our younger guys like Lambert, Chibrikov, and McGroarty, and play them regularly, and let them develop in the NHL. We have nothing to lose by playing our future young stars.
I agree with every word you wrote.

Reactions: Laurose and GNP

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Someting is up with 55. I thought/hoped he had turned a corner but... fool me once.... twice.... Cheering for him but not buying what he is selling going forward. He will never be the guy and unfortunately on this team is asked to be the guy. He has no sense of urgency or killer instinct.

27 in my opinion is also not suited to be be a top line guy unless he consistently stops playing like he's in juniors.

This team does not have elite guys that can carry a team and it really shows itself when the games get closer to playoffs.

How many times does a shot miss the net wide OR shot into the chest. Lately they can't even raise the puck. Where is the selfishness and urgency to actually score. Everyone defers to their teammate. They snap the puck around only to eventually fizzle out and just give it away without taking a quality shot.

OR.... is it coaching and systems. I'm not elite enough in my understanding of the game to be able to judge so I defer to the experts. The pp is absolute garbage and the pk is soft and timid. My feeling is systems and player deployment at this point. It took getting new players to actually show an improvement and now that those players are integrated, back to status quo. So what's the problem then, systems or players or both...

So frustrating because I want to love this team.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
that was basically my thinking the instant we learned Bones was the guy two years ago. Really didn't feel very strongly that he was the coach to get this team over the hump so to speak.

I can't buy the whole conditioning idea. I just can't believe that these players and coaches can go season after season not knowing what they need to do in terms of preparing for a full season. This deal has gone on through many different personnel and coaching changes. I think it just comes down to the reality that we have a core that is just a step below real top end NHL calibre talent. Helly has probably covered some of that but the truth is just that our best players aren't quite consistent enough and reliable enough to get the job done.
I'm slowly coming around to this way of thinking, looking at our roster who would be considered a top line player on any real Stanley Cup contending team, the answer unfortunately would be no one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean, I think they struck out on all their top choices and needed a vet coach to reset the group and he was all that was left. I think the group has largely been reset and we javelin a solid defensive foundation now.

I think what we need is someone who can build a robust offensive scheme into our improved defense. Much like what DeBoer has done in Dallas.

But I agree that we don't have the top talent of other contenders. We have JoMo and Helle but no one else of elite stature.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Just sitting in Starbucks getting some things done while caffeineing amd Scheif pulled up to the drive through window. I yelled out at him that Sip thinks he’s a bum.

Happy Easter Sunday Kids!
Scheif is kicking his goats today for sure now …

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I agree we don't have a McJesus or Mackinnin but if we play like we were just a little while ago it showed that they can be successful. For some reason we aren't playing like that lately. To me we have a very good group of forwards but our defense isn't great so we need the forwards to help defend, not once in a while, all game.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I'm slowly coming around to this way of thinking, looking at our roster who would be considered a top line player on any real Stanley Cup contending team, the answer unfortunately would be no one.
I think that but then I remember Vegas won the cup.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just sitting in Starbucks getting some things done while caffeineing amd Scheif pulled up to the drive through window. I yelled out at him that Sip thinks he’s a bum.

Happy Easter Sunday Kids!
I would have asked him to borrow me 5 bucks ya cheap bastard .:naughty::laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that but then I remember Vegas won the cup.

True, but they also did it with a 100 million payroll. They also have more top talent then us. They have two stud number 1 dmen whereas we only have 1. Echiel at this stage is a better center than Scheifele. Stone is also miles better then any winger we have. Add in all that cap circumventing depth and they were significantly further ahead then us.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Finally watched the highlights... I honestly thought I'd never see pouting scheifele again but he's here

Ehlers seems to be our only 5v5 scoring threat

Schmidt. Why.

I would legit bench Kyle connor
Esv
Perfetti-monahan-toffoli

Like at this point no one is scoring so gives AF if perfetti isn't either

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I agree we don't have a McJesus or Mackinnin but if we play like we were just a little while ago it showed that they can be successful. For some reason we aren't playing like that lately. To me we have a very good group of forwards but our defense isn't great so we need the forwards to help defend, not once in a while, all game.
To me, this lack of success falls mainly on the coaches. The team has had, basically, two different coaches at two different times this season. Does Arniel preach the same message as Bowness? Are the players "confused ", getting mixed messages, etc? Sure, they're extremely well-paid athletes but they're human after all and still need to be motivated at times. I'm not holding my breath but I'm hoping that Bowness can right the ship and get the players back on his message....even if I'm not sold on it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
sure they've shown they can do it...for a while. But like previous seasons they've shown an inability to bring it long term. That's what separates good or very good players from great/elite players.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I say let Bettman force the team back to Atlanta. I'll go back to cheering for the Habs, the team I grew up following. At least I won't have any false expectations for a couple decades.

• Wow
Reactions: Heldig

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I say let Bettman force the team back to Atlanta. I'll go back to cheering for the Habs, the team I grew up following. At least I won't have any false expectations for a couple decades.

698413.jpg

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
It's not the coaches Jesus Christ himself couldn't get this team to be a contender.

This team is what it is. A mid pack team with mid pack talent. And I don't see it changing we don't have any real top end talent coming have little draft capital now and we are picking way too late to get top shelf talent. Other than 37 matlybe 44.

They'll continue this track as long they have shot at the playoffs as depressing as it is.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Some changes I'd make in the short term are , not playing Tofolli, he's to slow in my opinion, and not scoring. I'd bring in Cole and put him in that position. Also would be playing Samberg more, and give Brossoit more starts.

Longer term, I don't think I'd sign Bowness for next season, I would not sign Tofolli, and I would think of trying to resign Monahan, depending on price. I'd also think seriously about trading Connor.

I would never hire Scott Arniel to be head Coach, maybe OK as an assistant.

ALSO - I'd bring up our younger guys like Lambert, Chibrikov, and McGroarty, and play them regularly, and let them develop in the NHL. We have nothing to lose by playing our future young stars.
The solution to slow Toffoli is slower Perfetti? Hahaha!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My thoughts on some of the above:

Bones--poor guy, was a Jack Adams front-runner 20 games ago and now, poof. With his health challenges he simply doesn't have the capacity/strength to do much more than circle the wagons. It's a physically and mentally tough business,even for the young and healthy.

Scheifele-I was very hard on him the past couple of years but he seemed to make a concerted effort to be an offensive/team leader this year I actually think he is still trying his best but looks demoralized now. He is a 1C, not a superstar, so this is where the coach needs to help by employing creative new strategies ( eg Connor off 1LW, different role on PP, fewer minutes). This is medicine that tastes bad at first buts help fix the disease. Unfortunately, see Bones above.

Lack of top end talent--aside from Josh and Helle that is true, but they could still win by optimizing their lines/system/depth, which they have not. They've arguably got 2 defensemen in the AHL who are better than 3 others on the big squad and they are deploying their forwards poorly.

These contentions may or may not be true but you never know if you don't try. And the time for trying is nigh on over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad