Post-Game Talk: Sens 3 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
One thing we are all overlooking is Scheifele's injury... he really had buy-in with Bones' system up until January... then he came back (maybe its matching up with Connor again and their bad habits feeding each other) or maybe Scheif really isn't 100%

First half of the season he was scoring regularly - second half, he'll have a beast mode game and then disappear for 3-4... its the only explanation that really makes sense for him disappearing more and more.

Same thing with Connor - he would go max. 2 games without scoring and then score in multiple games in a row... this was with Scheif and at a time when our top line was not getting caved.

Either they are both still knicked .... or they are playing not to get injured now. Or they are just selfish. None of those are great options.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The solution to slow Toffoli is slower Perfetti? Hahaha!
Cole was a huge part of the success in the first half. He is faster than Toffoli. Toffoli turns like a cruise ship does and doesn’t do anything at all if he doesn’t score which he isn’t doing u less it is against Anaheim. Might as well play the young guy who is here for the future than the washed up vet that is leaving in 6 weeks.

You know Chevy is already regretting that trade but now that it is done, they will play the vet no matter what.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Cole was a huge part of the success in the first half. He is faster than Toffoli. Toffoli turns like a cruise ship does and doesn’t do anything at all if he doesn’t score which he isn’t doing u less it is against Anaheim. Might as well play the young guy who is here for the future than the washed up vet that is leaving in 6 weeks.

You know Chevy is already regretting that trade but now that it is done, they will play the vet no matter what.
When Chevy's finally done here and we look back on his trading record we will find that it was average at best, his drafting record apart from the first round has been below average.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Everyone was playing well at that time and him playing 13 minutes a night on the 3rd line is hardly "huge". And then what happened?

Toffoli has 9 less points this year than Perfetti has in his career.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I can't comment on the game because I didn't see it and I don't want to upset some people with off-topic posts, so I'll just say HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE! and call it a day.

1711911866571.png

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013

Toffoli is a perfect fit for Bones's defensive system. The main problem facing the jets now is that they have abandoned that system and that begs the question...Why? What i saw yesterday and a few games before was the team pushing the offensive aspect of the system more often in an attempt to create more offense, which is the downside of the system, and a previous concern as they look for more scoring. I think this has been happening for the last third or so of the season and has resulted in our lousy record and nose dive.
I expect and hope first half adherence to defense will return in the playoffs with low scoring games. I would not give up on the jets just yet.

Reactions: thereturn

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Everyone was playing well at that time and him playing 13 minutes a night on the 3rd line is hardly "huge". And then what happened?

Toffoli has 9 less points this year than Perfetti has in his career.
Leading the team in pp points, top 4 in points and playing 14.5 mins in January. Pretty impressive considering those lowered minutes than everyone ahead of him. He was playing a big part when the team was playing its best hockey.

Toffoli best before date has come and gone. If you take out two games against Columbus and Anaheim he has 1 point in the other 9 games he has played here. He has been invisible for 7 games while playing 1st pp and good minutes.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Finally watched the highlights... I honestly thought I'd never see pouting scheifele again but he's here

Ehlers seems to be our only 5v5 scoring threat

Schmidt. Why.

I would legit bench Kyle connor
Esv
Perfetti-monahan-toffoli

Like at this point no one is scoring so gives AF if perfetti isn't either
Pouting????
Really?
I see a guy who is mad about losing and does not throw anyone under the bus being careful with his words. He even said the shot on the empty net was going wide ... he never made an excuse like the goalie made a great save.
Seriously Scheifele could make 9 great plays and if the Jets lose he gets s**t on because he was on the ice even thou it was not his fault a goal was scored.
Jets defense is the problem. The top six have to play defensively first to cover for an average/below average defense. Goal scorers like scoring goals that's what they do but if they have to think of playing defense first their offense suffers.
In order to be a contender you need a top center, top defenseman and a top goalie which the Jets have unfortunately defense is their weakest link. Poink and Schmidt just under $12M is handicapping the team. You could get a top RH D man for $8-9M and still have enough to get a good D man for $3M. Do that and the top 6 can concentrate on playing offense first.
The good thing about this losing streak the team playing the Jets in the playoffs will not take them seriously and eventually the bounces will go the Jets way.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Pouting????
Really?
I see a guy who is mad about losing and does not throw anyone under the bus being careful with his words. He even said the shot on the empty net was going wide ... he never made an excuse like the goalie made a great save.
Seriously Scheifele could make 9 great plays and if the Jets lose he gets s**t on because he was on the ice even thou it was not his fault a goal was scored.
Jets defense is the problem. The top six have to play defensively first to cover for an average/below average defense. Goal scorers like scoring goals that's what they do but if they have to think of playing defense first their offense suffers.
In order to be a contender you need a top center, top defenseman and a top goalie which the Jets have unfortunately defense is their weakest link. Poink and Schmidt just under $12M is handicapping the team. You could get a top RH D man for $8-9M and still have enough to get a good D man for $3M. Do that and the top 6 can concentrate on playing offense first.
The good thing about this losing streak the team playing the Jets in the playoffs will not take them seriously and eventually the bounces will go the Jets way.
Its no skin of my back if you see that he's angry about losing... but any day that he actually wants to do something about it - that would be great.

We saw what he can be in the Rangers game - where did that guy go?

If you want to somehow believe that Scheifele's back checking and positional play made any sense on those goals then that's fine... but I mean its a fkn 4 on 1 with all three forwards coasting.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I don't think he's regretting it, Toffoli has been good.

Reactions: Stumbledore

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Its no skin of my back if you see that he's angry about losing... but any day that he actually wants to do something about it - that would be great.

We saw what he can be in the Rangers game - where did that guy go?

If you want to somehow believe that Scheifele's back checking and positional play made any sense on those goals then that's fine... but I mean its a fkn 4 on 1 with all three forwards coasting.
1711915507955.png

Where is Scheifele coasting?
Where is Morrissey?
When this play started at the Sens blueline Morrissey was ahead of Scheifele ... looks like they are even or Scheifele a touch ahead.
1711915776140.png

How is this bad positioning by Scheifele?
I call it an unlucky bad bounce and Scheifele did score the tying goal right?
Did Scheifele have a great game?
No but there is no need to put all the blame on him for the loss.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
View attachment 844158
Where is Scheifele coasting?
Where is Morrissey?
When this play started at the Sens blueline Morrissey was ahead of Scheifele ... looks like they are even or Scheifele a touch ahead.
View attachment 844161
How is this bad positioning by Scheifele?
I call it an unlucky bad bounce and Scheifele did score the tying goal right?
Did Scheifele have a great game?
No but there is no need to put all the blame on him for the loss.
You know the season is off the rails when the 'don't blame scheif for anything ever' crowd comes out

Bones system engages the D - one of the forwards had to recognize that and cover - no one did

No one blamed scheif for the ricochet. But sure great positioning.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You know the season is off the rails when the 'don't blame scheif for anything ever' crowd comes out

Bones system engages the D - one of the forwards had to recognize that and cover - no one did

No one blamed scheif for the ricochet. But sure great positioning.
Nobody said don't blame Scheifele for anything?
I actually would like to know who was to blame on that play?
Bones said the players were standing still and Morrissey pinched ... Connor missed the pass and Vilardi was further in the zone of the right side. So if Scheifele makes a pass he has to turn around and go the other way in a split second?
What if the pass is made and Scheifele is going the wrong way?
It was a bang bang play Ottawa made a nice pass up the ice the only thing maybe Demelo should have cheated towards Katchouk and let Helly play Brannstrom.
No question it was a mistake but to blame someone trying to make an offensive play and in the same sentence blaming Bones for being to defensive minded is contracdicting right?
You want goals or not?
I guess the correct answer is Scheifele should not try that pass.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Nobody said don't blame Scheifele for anything?
I actually would like to know who was to blame on that play?
Bones said the players were standing still and Morrissey pinched ... Connor missed the pass and Vilardi was further in the zone of the right side. So if Scheifele makes a pass he has to turn around and go the other way in a split second?
What if the pass is made and Scheifele is going the wrong way?
It was a bang bang play Ottawa made a nice pass up the ice the only thing maybe Demelo should have cheated towards Katchouk and let Helly play Brannstrom.
No question it was a mistake but to blame someone trying to make an offensive play and in the same sentence blaming Bones for being to defensive minded is contracdicting right?
You want goals or not?
I guess the correct answer is Scheifele should not try that pass.
Same thing every year... guys start arguing specific plays and bending over backwards to protect scheifele from becoming a martyr haha

I just said he looks like he's pouting - if you think there's nothing wrong with his game. If you think he did nothing wrong on the 4 on 1 - cool. Maybe it looks worse than it was.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I don't think he's regretting it, Toffoli has been good.
I agree with most of your takes on here, but I think Toff has been mostly rotten with the exception of a couple games. No points in six games. Slow, unengaged. Not great defensively and hasn’t scored outside of against Anaheim and Columbus. Not a great passer, doesn’t make those around him better. He has to score to make any difference in a game. IMO

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
It should come to nobody`s surprise that our skid was commensurate with some serous reduction in the efficiency of both Scheifele and Lowry`s lines. It is simply not possible to play competitive hockey when both these lines are functioning at less than acceptable levels.

Scheifele never has been held to task for committing to Bones style of play and it is hard to know what is happening recently.. So nothing has changed here except actual execution, level of commitment/effort, and of course net production. GA are up but GF are down - a huge problem. Bones unwillingness to adjust the line makeup is beyond comprehension

Lowry is the very personification of Bones philosophy, yet there has been a noticeable drop off in line efficiency recently. It seems to me that Bones has changed some of the messaging in this period of time wrt when/how to exert pressure in the offensive and neutral zones. I think that even the structure has changed, with only one forechecker trying to be disruptive. Also appears to me that Adam is trying too hard to be the actual scorer on his line (rather than Nino) and is positioning differently than earlier. He is far less frequently going deep below the goaline on the initial puck pursuit.and is now the one who breaks off from the cycle to go to the netfront so as to be the finisher, Not optimal but his effort level is still very high.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It should come to nobody`s surprise that our skid was commensurate with some serous reduction in the efficiency of both Scheifele and Lowry`s lines. It is simply not possible to play competitive hockey when both these lines are functioning at less than acceptable levels.

Scheifele never has been held to task for committing to Bones style of play and it is hard to know what is happening recently.. So nothing has changed here except actual execution, level of commitment/effort, and of course net production. GA are up but GF are down - a huge problem. Bones unwillingness to adjust the line makeup is beyond comprehension

Lowry is the very personification of Bones philosophy, yet there has been a noticeable drop off in line efficiency recently. It seems to me that Bones has changed some of the messaging in this period of time wrt when/how to exert pressure in the offensive and neutral zones. I think that even the structure has changed, with only one forechecker trying to be disruptive. Also appears to me that Adam is trying too hard to be the actual scorer on his line (rather than Nino) and is positioning differently than earlier. He is far less frequently going deep below the goaline on the initial puck pursuit.and is now the one who breaks off from the cycle to go to the netfront so as to be the finisher, Not optimal but his effort level is still very high.

Good observations. Do you think he's moved off the 2-1-2 due to risk aversion as the playoffs approach? To me it doesn't make much sense as the 2-1-2 and the disruption it caused where major hallmarks of our success the first half. We went from denying time and space to allowing far too much of it. This group has never been amazing playing a 1-2-2 going back to Maurice.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I agree with most of your takes on here, but I think Toff has been mostly rotten with the exception of a couple games. No points in six games. Slow, unengaged. Not great defensively and hasn’t scored outside of against Anaheim and Columbus. Not a great passer, doesn’t make those around him better. He has to score to make any difference in a game. IMO
Not sure that he`s been rotten but a disappointment for sure. It is especially disconcerting to see him gifted a top line position at the expense of not only bumping Names down a line or so but right off the lineup. Hard to understand Bones`s thinking some time.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad