Weekes: Senators willing to trade high pick or prospect to dump Nikita Zaitsev's contract

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No imminent need to do this during the season.

If it’s a run at extending Cat, we can do so during the summer or at the draft where the value being sent out is diminished.

However, if it’s in an attempt to acquire a multi-year rhd in a subsequent trade, I am all for it. But as we all know, every team is looking for that and no one wants to give it up.

He’s going to Arizona or Chicago, and after hearing about the nixxed Matt Murray trade to Buffalo I am sure the Yotes or Hawks are in for a good haul.
I could see them wanting this dealt with soon. Perhaps they want to go on a run for a playoff spot.

The other factor is Chychrun. They were rumored to want him. Maybe moving out Zeitsev would be part of that for cap and cash reasons, either in that trade or with another team, if Arizona is not interested in Zeitsev (or if Zeitsev doesn't want to go there)

Reactions: hbk

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1672600082231.png

Wings can comfortably eat $4.5M next year. And a 3rd pairing RHD is gap in the roster.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If this solved the problem for the Senators why wouldn't they just do this instead of exploring the possibility of trading a high pick or prospect to get rid of him?
It solves the problem of his no trade clause, not the problem of the value it takes to move on from him.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Tell that to the 2021 draft

View attachment 628999

Haha

Counterpoint: Boucher looks like one of the more effective players on Team USA at the WJC.
Who knows what he will be in the NHL, but I’d be willing to bet he’s a really useful 15-20 goal chaos bringer.
That would be a very valuable player. Very different gamble than launching the puck into the sun to dump 1 yr of Zaitsev

Then if they won’t accept that type of deal, they’ll probably keep Zaitsev till his contract is done.

Hmm…I’m going to say they probably won’t keep Zaitsev until his contract is done, and that there is no chance they will make a deal like that which includes their 1st.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I am sure there are teams who would prefer to sell their capspace at the cheapest possible real dollar per cap dollar.

Wondering if there is a scenario where Zaitsev's bonus is paid by Ottawa, he is then traded to a team with a second buyout window (an RFA elects for arbitration), who then buys him out for a cap hit of YR1: $2,833,334 YR2: $833,334 but a salary payout of just $1,666,667 (spread over 2yrs).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It’s actually the opposite.
Zaitsev is the one who blocked the trade using his NTC, and didn’t want to go to Vancouver.

Possible but I am fairly sure Friedman implied Myers did not want to go to OTT at some point in December (which was after that article was released). So both may have nixed it, lol.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Zaitsev and a lottery protected 1st for Drouin with full retention (expiring contract).
Absolutely not. Why on earth would they want Drouin? Drouin has no value either.

This entire concept makes very little sense. The sens have cap space and have had a ton of injuries on D. Why would they pay to get rid of him? They dont have to do that.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
But why?

I’m not a Dubas supporter by any means, but I always look at the ones who say Lou>Dubas and wonder if they recall that the Leafs biggest issue has been cap management in recent years, and the only two “bad” contracts were signed by Lou and gotten rid of by Dubas.
sens need to clear his cap and sign DBC. Then find a better RD

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
sens need to clear his cap and sign DBC. Then find a better RD
Anaheim should be on this unfortunately we dont have much in terms of NHL RHD.

I dont think Ott is in a situation where going for a rental Klingberg makes sense... maybe shatt as a temp filler, or kulikov

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Absolutely not. Why on earth would they want Drouin? Drouin has no value either.

This entire concept makes very little sense. The sens have cap space and have had a ton of injuries on D. Why would they pay to get rid of him? They dont have to do that.
They don’t want Drouin obviously. He’s useless. They could waive him for all I care.

Just going by the OP, which says they’d be willing to tie an asset to rid themselves of him. Under my proposal they save 1.75mil this year and 4.5 next year.

Monahan brought the habs a protected first for Calgary to rid themselves of one year. I think Hughes would ask the same of the Sens.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
They don’t want Drouin obviously. He’s useless. They could waive him for all I care.

Just going by the OP, which says they’d be willing to tie an asset to rid themselves of him. Under my proposal they save 1.75mil this year and 4.5 next year.

Monahan brought the habs a protected first for Calgary to rid themselves of one year. I think Hughes would ask the same of the Sens.
Just don’t see them getting rid of a first for Zaitsev. They are not hard pressed cap wise. Calgary and Monahan are completely different. They wanted to sign Kadri.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
As @Akrapovince states above, there's no big rush on this.

With new ownership coming in before his next bonus is due ($2m), there might be a desire to move him beforehand... but there might also be LESS pressure to do so given that the current owners won't be on the hook. Hard to say how that impacts things, but could be a factor.

Zaitsev had a really bad start to the season, but he was not our worst DMan after his return. IMO, with a healthy lineup, these are our "tiers"

Top 4:
- Chabot
- Zub
- Sanderson
Everyday NHLer:
- Hamonic
5/6/7D
- Brannstrom (?)
- Jacob Bernard Docker (?)
6/7/8D:
- Zaitev
7/8D:
- Holden

I would be disappointed if we part with any of these assets to trade Zaitsev:
- Ostapchuk
- Grieg
- Boucher
- Sogaard
- Any 1st

Jarventie or Kleven would be tough to swallow, but not the end of the world.

If we could get it done with a 2nd + one or two of Sokolov, Pettersson, Hamara, Roger, Johanssen, Merilainen, Daoust, Reinhardt, Latimer, Nordberg, Halliday, Guenette, Crookshank, etc, that would be ideal.

Zaitsev has ~$5.75m in actual cash remaining at this time. I would probably ask for Ottawa's 2023 2nd + Jarventie to take Zaitsev.

That price would be considerable less if Zaitsev is traded this summer after his signing bonus is paid. Which is why I'm skeptical Zaitsev will be moved before then.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Just don’t see them getting rid of a first for Zaitsev. They are not hard pressed cap wise. Calgary and Monahan are completely different. They wanted to sign Kadri.

Maybe not, but I’m Just going by what Weekes said Ottawa is willing to do and what imo Hughes would want.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Maybe not, but I’m Just going by what Weekes said Ottawa is willing to do and what imo Hughes would want.
I mean every Gm would want a first. Just because Hughes got it off a team like Calgary doesn’t mean Ottawa would give a first at all. Completely different situations.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad