Weekes: Senators willing to trade high pick or prospect to dump Nikita Zaitsev's contract

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
No imminent need to do this during the season.

If it’s a run at extending Cat, we can do so during the summer or at the draft where the value being sent out is diminished.

However, if it’s in an attempt to acquire a multi-year rhd in a subsequent trade, I am all for it. But as we all know, every team is looking for that and no one wants to give it up.

He’s going to Arizona or Chicago, and after hearing about the nixxed Matt Murray trade to Buffalo I am sure the Yotes or Hawks are in for a good haul.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
As @Akrapovince states above, there's no big rush on this.

With new ownership coming in before his next bonus is due ($2m), there might be a desire to move him beforehand... but there might also be LESS pressure to do so given that the current owners won't be on the hook. Hard to say how that impacts things, but could be a factor.

Zaitsev had a really bad start to the season, but he was not our worst DMan after his return. IMO, with a healthy lineup, these are our "tiers"

Top 4:
- Chabot
- Zub
- Sanderson
Everyday NHLer:
- Hamonic
5/6/7D
- Brannstrom (?)
- Jacob Bernard Docker (?)
6/7/8D:
- Zaitev
7/8D:
- Holden

I would be disappointed if we part with any of these assets to trade Zaitsev:
- Ostapchuk
- Grieg
- Boucher
- Sogaard
- Any 1st

Jarventie or Kleven would be tough to swallow, but not the end of the world.

If we could get it done with a 2nd + one or two of Sokolov, Pettersson, Hamara, Roger, Johanssen, Merilainen, Daoust, Reinhardt, Latimer, Nordberg, Halliday, Guenette, Crookshank, etc, that would be ideal.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

With new ownership coming in before his next bonus is due ($2m), there might be a desire to move him beforehand... but there might also be LESS pressure to do so given that the current owners won't be on the hook. Hard to say how that impacts things, but could be a factor.

Zaitsev had a really bad start to the season, but he was not our worst DMan after his return. IMO, with a healthy lineup, these are our "tiers"

Top 4:
- Chabot
- Zub
- Sanderson
Everyday NHLer:
- Hamonic
5/6/7D
- Brannstrom (?)
6/7/8D:
- Zaitev
7/8D:
- Holden

- Ostapchuk
- Grieg
- Boucher
- Sogaard
- Any 1st

If we could get it done with a 2nd + one or two of Sokolov, Pettersson, Hamara, Roger, Johanssen, Merilainen, Daoust, Reinhardt, Latimer, Nordberg, Halliday, Guenette, Crookshank, etc, that would be ideal.
For me personally, Hamara is in the same group with Jarventie & Kleven as tough to swallow.

Keep in mind he has a ten team no trade list, could affect where he goes.
It’s a good point in a vacuum, but he really doesn’t have a no-team trade list when his other options is going from chartered flights to riding buses across the country in a long grind.

Being anywhere in the NHL is much better than being waived to go to Belleville.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ledge And Dairy

Top 4:
- Chabot
- Zub
- Sanderson
Everyday NHLer:
- Hamonic
5/6/7D
- Brannstrom (?)
6/7/8D:
- Zaitev
7/8D:
- Holden

- Ostapchuk
- Grieg
- Boucher
- Sogaard
- Any 1st

It cost a 1st to move 1 year of Monahan and a solid NHL ready young defenseman to move Paccioretty. If you a 2nd and a B/C prospect will ever cut it I want whatever you're on

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
No imminent need to do this during the season.

If it’s a run at extending Cat, we can do so during the summer or at the draft where the value being sent out is diminished.

However, if it’s in an attempt to acquire a multi-year rhd in a subsequent trade, I am all for it. But as we all know, every team is looking for that and no one wants to give it up.

He’s going to Arizona or Chicago, and after hearing about the nixxed Matt Murray trade to Buffalo I am sure the Yotes or Hawks are in for a good haul.
Maybe Connor Murphy heads back in a bigger deal.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Maybe Connor Murphy heads back in a bigger deal.
I would not mind but I would be lying if I said I’m not scared of the enormous return it would take to upgrade from Zaitsev to Murphy.

It seems like if we are shelling out that much, we should just shoot for the moon for a little bit more.

Murphy is a fine player though.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I would not mind but I would be lying if I said I’m not scared of the enormous return it would take to upgrade from Zaitsev to Murphy.
Not sure what would be required. Also not sure whose on Murphy’s no trade list. Just throwing him out there as a possibility.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
34CDC5C8-D288-4BD4-8A5B-9E86D836BBE7.jpeg

Vs
D0294281-616D-49B2-B6EF-FC91241F0392.jpeg

Vs
7665B2F6-F15D-4A0A-8961-2EE3D2E35459.jpeg

Who wins the second round pick?

Last edited:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Is Chicago willing to move Murphy? I feel like this would be the obvious move. Zaitsev + pick/prospect for Murphy, assuming Ottawa was not on his list of course.

Edit: in the time it took to write this it was already posted by others 🙂

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like this nukes the trade. Even if he'd like to leave the Sens, the only teams who would take him are at the bottom of the league. It would perhaps be 5-6 teams, so an easy trade to block, and he would block those teams. Being on an awful team isn't fun

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Is Chicago willing to move Murphy? I feel like this would be the obvious move. Zaitsev + pick/prospect for Murphy, assuming Ottawa was not on his list of course.
That is unknown if they would move him. Not like the hawks have any d prospects knocking on the door that are nhl ready and Davidson has said he would like to not rush anyone and drown them in minutes with a rebuilding team. But with Seth probably being unmovable with his cap hit and the NTC/NMC. Murphy and McCabe make the most sense to get decent returns for picks.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Seems like this nukes the trade. Even if he'd like to leave the Sens, the only teams who would take him are at the bottom of the league. It would perhaps be 5-6 teams, so an easy trade to block, and he would block those teams. Being on an awful team isn't fun
Being in the AHL after not being claimed on Waivers isn’t fun either.

Chartered flights back to Chicago or Arizona is better than bus rides across the country as a multi-millionaire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad