Weekes: Senators willing to trade high pick or prospect to dump Nikita Zaitsev's contract

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
D20E4A17-CAC9-4DCB-AF7F-FCE882DF4401.jpeg

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I hear Hughes is looking for another 1st
Edmundson, habs 3rd for Zaitsev and their 1st.
:naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I hear Hughes is looking for another 1st
Edmundson, habs 3rd for Zaitsev and their 1st.
:naughty:
You should be the one adding a first if you are looking for a tank commander for Bedard.

Play him 30 minutes a night and you will be guaranteed #1 odds.

(In all seriousness Zaitsev has been below average to okay, which is more than I expected).

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You should be the one adding a first if you are looking for a tank commander for Bedard.

Play him 30 minutes a night and you will be guaranteed #1 odds.

(In all seriousness Zaitsev has been below average to okay, which is more than I expected).
Not what Kevin Weeks seems to be saying.;)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe. No clue who he has on there and being on a shithole team might change that
The issue is the length of Murphy's contract. If he's for sale, he'd rightly assume that there'd be other interested teams than Ottawa. Murphy has many years left on his deal. He's not going to committ all that time to Ottawa just because he'd like to move on from Chicago. Maybe he doesn't want to leave too

Plus most people who know the behind the scenes stuff say that Canadian teams are almost always all on no trade lists

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
With so much tied up in ltir and the bedard sweepstakes in full pursuit I can see the flyers as a destination. Also could see zaitsev as empty cap attached to assets for provorov

Reactions: BernieParent

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The issue is the length of Murphy's contract. If he's for sale, he'd rightly assume that there'd be other interested teams than Ottawa. Murphy has many years left on his deal. He's not going to committ all that time to Ottawa just because he'd like to move on from Chicago. Maybe he doesn't want to leave too

Plus most people who know the behind the scenes stuff say that Canadian teams are almost always all on no trade lists
He could not want to move

Just a second?
Seems both just love second round picks will probably be another pick/prospect attached

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With so much tied up in ltir and the bedard sweepstakes in full pursuit I can see the flyers as a destination. Also could see zaitsev as empty cap attached to assets for provorov
The Flyers are one of many teams who want to try to be competitive next season. They aren't adding Zeitsev

• Haha
Reactions: GeeoffBrown

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s a good point in a vacuum, but he really doesn’t have a no-team trade list when his other options is going from chartered flights to riding buses across the country in a long grind.

Being anywhere in the NHL is much better than being waived to go to Belleville.

If this solved the problem for the Senators why wouldn't they just do this instead of exploring the possibility of trading a high pick or prospect to get rid of him?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It cost a 1st to move 1 year of Monahan and a solid NHL ready young defenseman to move Paccioretty. If you a 2nd and a B/C prospect will ever cut it I want whatever you're on

6.375 mill and 7.6 mill might have something to do with it. Sure both can contribute technically unlike Zaitsev (And even then Monahan seemed dead), but cap space is just that valuable that even being able to contribute means little when it's for an additional 1.8+ mill more.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It cost a 1st to move 1 year of Monahan and a solid NHL ready young defenseman to move Paccioretty. If you a 2nd and a B/C prospect will ever cut it I want whatever you're on
Those guys both had far greater cap hits, at a time when cap space is/was far less plentiful, with teams under a far more severe crunch, and there wasn't the opportunity of paying 40% of their salary like there is with Zaitsev. Not to mention, a 1st for Vegas and Calgary is more similar to a 2nd from Ottawa than it is to a 1st from Ottawa. Not to mention I never said just one of those prospects.

But yes, when you remove all those factors, I'm clearly hopped up on crazy pills.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Those guys both had far greater cap hits, at a time when cap space is/was far less plentiful, with teams under a far more severe crunch, and there wasn't the opportunity of paying 40% of their salary like there is with Zaitsev. Not to mention, a 1st for Vegas and Calgary is more similar to a 2nd from Ottawa than it is to a 1st from Ottawa. Not to mention I never said just one of those prospects.

But yes, when you remove all those factors, I'm clearly hopped up on crazy pills.

Not only that, both players went to Eastern Conf teams where there are less teams that can just easily take on big contracts, whereas all of Anaheim, Chicago, and Arizona can take on dead cap, and will probably accept less than if it was a in conference or in division trade. A 2nd can honestly move Zaitsev. That being said in the event Sens pick in the top 10, and it requires more than just a 2024 2nd to get rid of Zaitsev as opposed to only a 2023 2nd to get rid of him, you absolutely add prospects to the 2024 pick to get rid of Zaitsev. Sens have the ability to get some great prospects in the early stages of the 2nd round this year. Could even get a stud RHD prospect.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Friedman has hinted many times on 32 thoughts or Marek's radio show that Myers doesn't want to go to OTT and may have already blocked a trade using his NTC.

It’s actually the opposite.
Zaitsev is the one who blocked the trade using his NTC, and didn’t want to go to Vancouver.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad