Weekes: Senators willing to trade high pick or prospect to dump Nikita Zaitsev's contract

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Honestly probably wouldn't take much to dump him to Chicago. Hawks need to hit the cap floor next year.

Reactions: NB613

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Id say the Habs would probably normally be interested but theyre stacked with D prospects and can't get them enough ice time in the NHL right now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Honestly probably wouldn't take much to dump him to Chicago. Hawks need to hit the cap floor next year.
Makes sense for a deal in the offseason after his bonus is paid, not now. Ottawa has a ton of cap space I don't know why the deal needs to happen now... Only way I see it happening if a team is actively looking to tank so the price to dump him isn't super expensive.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If the Canucks had brains they would pickup a pick (probably a 2nd) from the Sens for Zaitsev with cap saved from moving out Horvat.

They are idiots though so I expect them to do the opposite and trade away another pick to move out someone like Garland.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Just tank already sens. Tell Zaitsev to LTIR the entire season or go back to russia in a transfer agreement. Then fire the gm and coach. Stop giving a crap about players "who like D.J" and look forward to next season.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Eat two seasons at 4.5 isn't cheap you know.
It’s not 2 seasons. It’s the rest of this season plus one more.

From the trade deadline he will be owed ~$5m total, or ~$4.1m if bought out.

Ideal trade partner imo would be a team looking to move on an expensive pending UFA so they can free up some space this year, with a plan to buyout Zaitsev. E.g. Quick.

Purely from a financial PoV either of these two work. No idea whether LA would do it though.

- trade Zaitsev for Quick + Walker
- LA buyout Zaitsev
- LA frees up ~$2m in cap space between deadline and end of the season
- Cap change next season is negligible ($150k)

or

- trade Zaitsev (retain 1/3) for Quick
- LA buyout Zaitsev
- LA frees up ~$3m in cap space between the deadline and end of the season
- LA takes $1.9m cap hit next season

…or trade Walker and have Ottawa retain on Zaitsev. That frees up another $600k this season and $2.65m next season.

An extra $2-3.5m in post-deadline cap space would be pretty powerful. E.g. $3m would be enough for Chychrun (no retention) + Kane (50% retained).

Ditto for Calgary with Lucic (though he has NTC).

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
It’s not 2 seasons. It’s the rest of this season plus one more.

From the trade deadline he will be owed ~$5m total, or ~$4.1m if bought out.

Ideal trade partner imo would be a team looking to move on an expensive pending UFA so they can free up some space this year, with a plan to buyout Zaitsev. E.g. Quick.

Purely from a financial PoV either of these two work. No idea whether LA would do it though.

- trade Zaitsev for Quick + Walker
- LA buyout Zaitsev
- LA frees up ~$2m in cap space between deadline and end of the season
- Cap change next season is negligible ($150k)

or

- trade Zaitsev (retain 1/3) for Quick
- LA buyout Zaitsev
- LA frees up ~$3m in cap space between the deadline and end of the season
- LA takes $1.9m cap hit next season

…or trade Walker and have Ottawa retain on Zaitsev. That frees up another $600k this season and $2.65m next season.

An extra $2-3.5m in post-deadline cap space would be pretty powerful. E.g. $3m would be enough for Chychrun (no retention) + Kane (50% retained).

Ditto for Calgary with Lucic (though he has NTC).
No interest in Zaitsev as a Kings fan. The money movement is interesting but don’t need the buyout on the books next year. Walker will likely get moved. Quick is done in LA after this year likely.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Just tank already sens. Tell Zaitsev to LTIR the entire season or go back to russia in a transfer agreement. Then fire the gm and coach. Stop giving a crap about players "who like D.J" and look forward to next season.
This is going to happen regardless. I doubt zaitsev is moved at this point. I also doubt they allow Dorion to fire Smith, as there will likely be a complete overhaul this off season.

It's why this is a peculiar thread. We're cooked this year. We'll revisit this in the off season when new ownership and new management is in place.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This is going to happen regardless. I doubt zaitsev is moved at this point. I also doubt they allow Dorion to fire Smith, as there will likely be a complete overhaul this off season.

It's why this is a peculiar thread. We're cooked this year. We'll revisit this in the off season when new ownership and new management is in place.
You fire both in the offseason and move on. Get a real GM in after the new ownership group takes over.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

it was based off a weekes report so it makes sense there is a thread but he has been off when it involves ottawa

remember that debrincat extension he reported that was basically done

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would take him as a dump on the Ducks.

My only problem is the return. Obviously their 1st is a nonstarter but the 2nd alone isn’t enough to take on that cash liability for next year.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
One year left. This has been a lost year for Ottawa. Maybe there's something out there they can do, but any impetus to trade out an asset to rid themselves of the contract seems lost now, at least IMO. I'm sure they want to be better next year, but really, better to just eat the last year of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad