Weekes: Senators willing to trade high pick or prospect to dump Nikita Zaitsev's contract

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Don't blame the messenger. Not claiming he's right or wrong.

this part.
- Kevin Weekes

So it would be a trade similar to the one made between the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary Flames involving Sean Monahan.

The Ottawa Sens would be willing to offer a solid draft pick, or a good prospect, with Nikita Zaitsev, for future considerations.

Considering recent similar trades in the NHL, the price for Ottawa will most likely be a first round pick (or a second round pick + a prospect)

The whole article here.

Many teams would be lining up to get a shot at that 1st.
Lmao, how on earth can you say "don't blame the messenger" when you clearly cut out the Weekes quote (except for the attribution to him) and then copied all the writers - some random ass Habs fan, "Marco" - speculation?

Get out of here with that BS.

Here, I fixed it for you:
So it would be a trade similar to the one made between the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary Flames involving Sean Monahan.

The Ottawa Sens would be willing to offer a solid draft pick, or a good prospect, with Nikita Zaitsev, for future considerations.

Considering recent similar trades in the NHL, the price for Ottawa will most likely be a first round pick (or a second round pick + a prospect)
- Some random ass Habs fan, "Marco"

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He has a 10 team no trade list, I'll bet a team that's on it.
However, if we have cap room due to LTIR, maybe a 3 way deal.

He passed through waivers, I feel he will want to play for any NHL club or its back to Belleville.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
To Buffalo
Nikita Zaitsev
2nd round pick in 2024
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Future Considerations

To Ottawa
Nothing

"This is the way". - Mandalorian Proverb

Reactions: Kaner9

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
My guess would be Zaitsev+2nd+1 of Tyler Kelvin/Lassi Thomson/Angus Crookshank/Viktor Lodin. Ottawa has an abundance of guys that can likely contribute very soon as good bottom 6 with upside.

Reactions: NB613 and Altimus

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
People thinking they are going to get a 2023 unprotected lottery first rounder for picking up 1 year of Zaitsev lol.

DELUSIONAL!
1 year of Zaitsev? Why even propose a team take him off your hands for a draft pick or a prospect. Ottawa needs to suck it up for 1 more season.

Reactions: uncleben

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

seth-jarvis-2022-979.jpeg

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Not to say it won't happen because NHL GM's make uneven trades all the time but for the sake of discussion, in this thread we've probably seen 10+ fans of other teams say they'd happily take Zaitsev for a 1st round pick (or value approx. worth a 1st).

Seeing this many teams willingly want to do a deal like this likely means it's an unfair trade for the Sens as so many other teams (fans in this case) would do it.

So if the fans interest in this deal accurately depicts NHL GM's interest in this deal then all it'll take is one of these 10+ teams to want to stand out from the other offers by saying they'll accept a 2nd round pick+.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This makes no sense for Ottawa they have 5 million in cap space this year. Paying a premium to move him now when it will be alot cheaper next year doesnt make sense for them on any level. Especially where they are sitting in the standings. If they were pushing and in a playoff spot sure dumping him now for picks might make sense if they are adding a good player but thats not the case. Their two best players are 20 years old, this team needs to keep its prospect pool stocked so when its actually time to go get someone they have the assets to make a push.

Oh you misunderstood the 2nd is what it will cost to move him after the season is over.

Monohan cost a 1st for 1 year, Marleau 1st for 1 year. Zaitsev is cheaper hence the pick about 15-20 spots later

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
$2M bonus due this July is not ideal. He will be easier to move after July 1st when the Sens pay it.
I think the whole point of offering up potentially a 1st round pick or equivalent level prospect is to avoid having the Senators pay that bonus. If it's paid by Ottawa, they can pay a 2nd to Arizona or San Jose or Chicago for them to take Zaitsev. If they want him gone now to avoid that bonus because they're being money-conscious in this scenario, it'll have to cost them something extra than what it would cost them to move him post-bonus.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the whole point of offering up potentially a 1st round pick or equivalent level prospect is to avoid having the Senators pay that bonus. If it's paid by Ottawa, they can pay a 2nd to Arizona or San Jose or Chicago for them to take Zaitsev. If they want him gone now to avoid that bonus because they're being money-conscious in this scenario, it'll have to cost them something extra than what it would cost them to move him post-bonus.

Smells like the Sens want to trade for Chychrun to me but the Coyotes don't want to take on that contract dump. So the Sens are trying to move Zaitsev in a separate deal before they trade for Chychrun.

1st rounder to move Zaitsev and then what is left to get Chychrun? :dunno:. Sens would likely put protection on that pick and that would complicate the pieces that goes to the Coyotes for Chychrun.

Interesting situation to ponder. Sens clearly want to move up the standings but do they make more moves this season or wait till draft day and the summer. We will see

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Smells like the Sens want to trade for Chychrun to me but the Coyotes don't want to take on that contract dump. So the Sens are trying to move Zaitsev in a separate deal before they trade for Chychrun.

1st rounder to move Zaitsev and then what is left to get Chychrun? :dunno:. Sens would likely put protection on that pick and that would complicate the pieces that goes to the Coyotes for Chychrun.

Interesting situation to ponder. Sens clearly want to move up the standings but do they make more moves this season or wait till draft day and the summer. We will see
If Ottawa is after Chychrun then yeah it would stand to reason that they'd need to find a third party to make that happen. Arizona will get a pretty good return on Chychrun to a degree where taking a cap dump as part of it is unnecessary. If so and it's needed now, they'll have to pay a premium to get another team to pay that bonus in their place and eat that last year. A lotto-protected 1st round seems about the right value but they may find someone willing to do the 2 2nds offer if they're needing to keep their 1st for Chychrun. If I were the Sharks, I'd probably do the two 2nds offer if the 1st is absolutely off the table but they'd need to send a contract back as part of it to avoid the 50 contract limit.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not blaming the messenger here, you're just passing along something you found. Two things here. 1) it's a habs fan site so the Monahan deal is the measuring stick in that mindset, and 2) the way this was pasted into this thread makes it look like Weekes said the rest of this. He didn't in case anyone thought that like I did. It was the author speculating with the Weekes quote above his name.
Ya i took it as Weekes saying it. Now i look at it closer it seems it was the like you said the Author speculating .

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ostapchuk (no clue how Sens fans view him) and a 2025 2nd?
Take out the 2nd and Ostapchuk and you’re a lot closer.

Kidding, kinda, but zero chance Ostapchuk should be moved to offload Zaitsev. I think many Sens fans would rate him as our best prospect, and 90% would have him in our top 3. Not to mention, the organization clearly feels the same.

2nd + decent prospect is feasible, but I am almost certain Ottawa would rather trade 2nd + their, say, 5th or 6th best prospect, than Ostapchuk alone. Or even Ostapchuk alone with a 2nd or 3rd coming back.

Ostapchuk projects to be the exact player we desperately need up front, so his value is probably higher to us (even relative to our other prospect) than it is to any other team

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Take out the 2nd and Ostapchuk and you’re a lot closer.

Kidding, kinda, but zero chance Ostapchuk should be moved to offload Zaitsev. I think many Sens fans would rate him as our best prospect, and 90% would have him in our top 3. Not to mention, the organization clearly feels the same.

2nd + decent prospect is feasible, but I am almost certain Ottawa would rather trade 2nd + their, say, 5th or 6th best prospect, than Ostapchuk alone. Or even Ostapchuk alone with a 2nd or 3rd coming back.

Ostapchuk projects to be the exact player we desperately need up front, so his value is probably higher to us (even relative to our other prospect) than it is to any other team

Got it. So prospect lower than Ostapchuk. Sorry, just don’t know much about the player outside of recent viewings!

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Got it. So prospect lower than Ostapchuk. Sorry, just don’t know much about the player outside of recent viewings!
Hey, no worries, it’s not really something you would know unless you follow the Sens pretty closely. Not saying it was a good pick (at all) but it’s a similar logic as to what led to them picking Boucher 10th overall. It might be the wrong approach, but it seems like they are really focussed on building an elite, young 3rd line now that the top 6 is pretty much spoken for

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Am I nuts or is he a decent value if Ott willing to throw in? He still young and could turn it around some.

Reactions: uncleben

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wait a few more months until there is 0% chance of making the post season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As of the mid point of this season he is owed $6M in real dollars for this and next year.
lafter bonus is paid next year a team just getting to the floor coukd eat the contract fir a 2 nd….but…..

next summer will be just like last summer. What teams have the space to eat that contract? Maybe 6 teams. With some players traded at deadline or posdible UFA signings this off season and the rumored talk around possible Matthews/Aho getting traded and Meier and PLD one yr from UFA could see more teams looking to unload salary to fit these players in which then that raises the prices on cap space storage bins to unload players To fit in new acquisitions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad