GDT: Senators vs Flyers | 7pm, Sportsnet East, TVA, Team1200

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Was very impressed with Pageau. Hope he keeps 44. He was refreshing in the line-up...could have easily had a few more points than he ended up with. Looking for him to continue playing this well next game, if not improve.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not a great game.

We had ample powerplay opportunities and finally bagged one.

That first win is often the toughest one to get. The relief on Alfie's face when he scored the empty-netter was palpable.

Pleased with Lehner who stood tall when the Flyers would apply pressure.

Overall I think we were the better team over the balance of the game, but that's pretty consistent with a lot of the games during our losing streak.

People who consistently dump on Turris mystify me. He creates opportunities, brings the puck into the zone with speed, and draws penalties. The goals will come.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Obviously nobody has to see the game my way, but many here are/were up-in-arms over Neil's failed clearing attempt at the end of the game.

Not sure who passed it "to" him, but it was impressive that he was able to get the puck at all instead of it just sliding into the slot behind him.

The ability to skate up-ice and take a pass from behind you to in front of you when you know pressure is coming is incredibly difficult. Sort of reminds me of the argument MoO started in the Zibby thread...

So yeah: he didn't clear it. But it would have taken a ton of skill to get it done, and he did better than letting the puck get behind him where it would have been on a platter for a D-man to tee up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously nobody has to see the game my way, but many here are/were up-in-arms over Neil's failed clearing attempt at the end of the game.

Not sure who passed it "to" him, but it was impressive that he was able to get the puck at all instead of it just sliding into the slot behind him.

The ability to skate up-ice and take a pass from behind you to in front of you when you know pressure is coming is incredibly difficult. Sort of reminds me of the argument MoO started in the Zibby thread...

So yeah: he didn't clear it. But it would have taken a ton of skill to get it done, and he did better than letting the puck get behind him where it would have been on a platter for a D-man to tee up.

Maybe I'm just remembering it how I want to, but at the time, I thought he tried to dance around the forechecker in the high slot rather than dump it out. That's what upset me. If my memory of the events are off (highly possible) then no grudge on Neil, but if he was in fact trying to beat the forechecker so he could get a chance at the empty net, it was the wrong (and greedy) play.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Not a great game.

We had ample powerplay opportunities and finally bagged one.

That first win is often the toughest one to get. The relief on Alfie's face when he scored the empty-netter was palpable.

Pleased with Lehner who stood tall when the Flyers would apply pressure.

Overall I think we were the better team over the balance of the game, but that's pretty consistent with a lot of the games during our losing streak.

People who consistently dump on Turris mystify me. He creates opportunities, brings the puck into the zone with speed, and draws penalties. The goals will come.

Very similar to recent games, the difference is only letting in one goal instead of three. Carry most play, bad PP, low scoring. Flyers goaltending was not sharp, if Lehner had let those goals in the boards would be all over him.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe I'm just remembering it how I want to, but at the time, I thought he tried to dance around the forechecker in the high slot rather than dump it out. That's what upset me. If my memory of the events are off (highly possible) then no grudge on Neil, but if he was in fact trying to beat the forechecker so he could get a chance at the empty net, it was the wrong (and greedy) play.

I was watching the Philly feed, and they mentioned during the replay that Neil couldn't get leverage on his attempt. He did try to bring it from directly in front of him to his backhand, but was at the end of his reach so was effectively poking at it.

He isn't a high-skill player. People should stop evaluating him that way (not that you were). Alfie would be able to pull it to his backhand and flick his wrist to send the puck out, but Neil isn't Alfie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad