Confirmed Buy-Out Senators to waive and then buyout RW Bobby Ryan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Sens were game 7 OT in the conference finals in 2016-17, they've made the Cup Finals, they've won the president's trophy, they've only missed the playoffs 11 times in their entire history as a franchise.

The Leafs haven't made it out of the first round in like 16 years. Soon there will be draftees who have lived their entire lives without seeing the Leafs win a playoff series.

Worry about yourselves.

None of that is relevant to the current topic

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I've probably been Bobby's biggest fan on the Sens board over the past few years, I think he can still play but I don't see why everyone is making such a fuss. It was great to see him come back this season after taking his leave and I'm sad to see him go but he will get a contract somewhere and it will likely be a better situation for him.

Because they did it the wrong way, all they had to do was go to him yesterday or the day before and let him know this was coming, they didn't do that, all indications are he was completely blindsided, that's garbage you don't do that.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Don’t they need to get to the floor?

Melnyk is such a piece of shit.
They'll probably still make it, but it will be close. A buyout still costs the Sens a 3.6M cap hit.

Assuming Brown, Tierney, and Duclair hit around 12m total, that leaves 10M for 10 roster spots. Shouldn't be an issue, but with so many guys making 800-900K, there is going to probably be at least 1 UFA signing for around 2M or some of of the RFAs are getting longer contracts,.

Reactions: Paul4587

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Because they did it the wrong way, all they had to do was go to him yesterday or the day before and let him know this was coming, they didn't do that, all indications are he was completely blindsided, that's garbage you don't do that.

This is the same franchise that signed Marian Hossa to a contract extension and then blindsided him by trading him the same day.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He would have felt blindsided if they told him yesterday or the day before too. The team informed him of their decision, I fail to see how it happening a day or two before matters. Perhaps you would approve if they sent him home, and told him to stay away?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He would have felt blindsided if they told him yesterday or the day before too. The team informed him of their decision, I fail to see how it happening a day or two before matters. Perhaps you would approve if they sent him home, and told him to stay away?

At least if you do it yesterday or the day before he has some time to process it, this isn't how you treat people especially when you know they have drug and alcohol issues.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
that's a joke right? he is far from poor, he is just CHEAP.

taking a large loss this year while still being worth a billion dollars+ knocks you down to what, being worth only 900 mil?

give me a break
Melnyk is not worth anywhere near a billion dollars. He may be one of the poorest NHL owners

Most of his billionaire net worth is from years ago when he still held Biovail stock. It has since yanked and he sold it for cents in the dollar. I think the Sens are his only remaining asset

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
At least if you do it yesterday or the day before he has some time to process it, this isn't how you treat people especially when you know they have drug and alcohol issues.

He has time to process it. This is a ridiculous argument.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He has time to process it. This is a ridiculous argument.
Before the media and fans are badgering him? Not really.
To have answers and collected thoughts before family, friends, and teammates reach out? Not really.

This isn't trade deadline where decisions are made in the moment and then TSN accidentally calls up a player before the GM has had a chance to tell him.
It's been an extended off-season. Dorion had plenty of opportunity to discuss where the team was thinking of heading next season. Whether that's an exit interview at the start of the off-season, if they knew then, or pulling him aside yesterday or the day before and saying, "Hey, when the buyout window opens, this is where we're headed."

It's courtesy for a veteran in the league and on your team.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Melnyk is not worth anywhere near a billion dollars. He may be one of the poorest NHL owners

Most of his billionaire net worth is from years ago when he still held Biovail stock. It has since yanked and he sold it for cents in the dollar. I think the Sens are his only remaining asset
I guarantee you he has hundreds of millions of dollars in other assets. nobody who is a sports owner has all their money tied up in the sports team and ONE stock

that's just asinine and that's not how these guys become billionaires. he has assets galore he either hides or won't declare or states as a loss for tax purposes. talk to anyone worth a significant amount of money, they know exactly how game the financial laws with ease

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Hope he'll find a spot as a top 9 wing with somebody at a bargain. With at least one of Daddy and Hoff likely gone, if not both, I'd be happy if Florida signed him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Before the media and fans are badgering him? Not really.
To have answers and collected thoughts before family, friends, and teammates reach out? Not really.

This isn't trade deadline where decisions are made in the moment and then TSN accidentally calls up a player before the GM has had a chance to tell him.
It's been an extended off-season. Dorion had plenty of opportunity to discuss where the team was thinking of heading next season. Whether that's an exit interview at the start of the off-season, if they knew then, or pulling him aside yesterday or the day before and saying, "Hey, when the buyout window opens, this is where we're headed."

It's courtesy for a veteran in the league and on your team.

You think the news wouldn't have gotten out before today if he was informed before today? I'm sure the weeks of buyout/trade speculation that always precede a high profile buyout would not result in any badgering at all. If they would have known when they had exit interviews, I'm sure they would have told him then. They told Anderson they would not be offering him a contract at his exit interview. I wouldn't doubt a potential trade factored into the decision either.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure management even know they were terminating him until recently. They probably had a lot of internal discussion about it as well as trade calls around the league. From what has been leaked out about past trades, Dorion isn't a GM to play things close. He does a lot of homework and calls. Dorion had a presser on the 23rd and there were indeed some hints that changes were coming.

I know people don't like press interviews because they don't really say much other than cliche statements, but you can tell a lot by reading between the lines. For instance, Dorion mentioned:

1. Exploring all the options. I know that sounds like something every GM does, but he could also have said fifty other non-statements like "We like our team" or "We are looking for a couple young guys to step up". If you're looking at options, you're looking at trades, signings, buyouts, etc.. You don't like your team as constructed and will be doing something.

2. He mentioned trade calls and having to make sense long-term. He could have said other things but he specified ling-term a bunch. If he didn't care about age, etc.. and was just interested in improving the team, he would have said something like "A lot of quality players available and finding the right fit, etc.." or "It is still a seller's market.." If he's repeatedly mentioning long-term, if you read between the lines you get "People are trying to offload veterans but we aren't looking at older guys because we're rebuilding so we're waiting for a younger guy to come available."

I mean, there is only so many options out there.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

To be fair, this is usually how buyouts work. Do other guys who have been bought out get 24-48 hours notice? Is this only an issue because of Ryan’s off ice issues? I see what you mean, and I guess it could have been handled better, but it happens.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
non of this is a reason to keep him around especially on a young team where the sens are clearly trying to turn a page

Ryan doesn’t really bring anything to the table that we would find useful for his salary . I wouldn’t say he is the greatest mentor when he is still struggling with his own demons

this might be a blessing for him where he can work on his traumas and not have a huge salary to pull him down in a Non Canadian market

I think we also need to realize when you are an alcoholic it will be a constant struggle it is not just something you go away and come back 6 months later and are completely free from

This new generation of hockey players do not drink like they used to. They drink protein shakes and play fortnite.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To be fair, this is usually how buyouts work. Do other guys who have been bought out get 24-48 hours notice? Is this only an issue because of Ryan’s off ice issues? I see what you mean, and I guess it could have been handled better, but it happens.

I don't know if other guys get 24-48 hours notice, I assume they get some notice but even if they don't this is a different situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad