Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Christian Wolanin to Entry Level Contract

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
probably going to be in Belleville next year, going to be blocked by harpur and boro

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he was a RHD I think he would just slide seamlessly into Wideman's spot, but I could see him starting next year in Belleville while the organization sorts out their glut of LHD.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I have a feeling we are going to offer Claesson a 2-way deal instead of a 1-way contract, he'll get insulted about it, and he'll head back to Sweden and that will be it from him.

Just a gut call on my part, though.

Not qualifying Claesson is pretty much the easiest decision I can imagine. He's the first Senator in a long, long time where I simply don't see any redeeming quality. He isn't underperforming or poorly-utilizing his skill set - he just isn't an NHL player.

Wideman is a giant tool but at least he's useful (pun intended). He would likely come cheap and he really did seem as though he was starting to put it together before he got hurt.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not qualifying Claesson is pretty much the easiest decision I can imagine. He's the first Senator in a long, long time where I simply don't see any redeeming quality. He isn't underperforming or poorly-utilizing his skill set - he just isn't an NHL player.

Wideman is a giant tool but at least he's useful (pun intended). He would likely come cheap and he really did seem as though he was starting to put it together before he got hurt.
lol that guy this season has been something else entirely. like dude its just a puck chill the f*** out. he treats it like its on fire.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
It's been a dreadful season and the natural inclination is to overrate something to make us feel better headed into next year. And short sample... but Wolanin looks good. No, not superstar good or anything but he looks like a good NHL dman right now. A significant step up from Harpur and Claesson in both performance and talent.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So Wolanin needs a new deal. Will Dorion give him a one way deal?
I'd like to see him get one. I think he's earned a spot, more so than either Harpur or Claesson did before him.

Sens left side is a little jammed if Brannstrom is going to play there. We know Boro's leadership won't come from the press box. And then there is Lajoie who played up with the big club almost to the end of February.

I have a feeling that Dorion will play hard ball with Wolanin.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My guess is the 2 year plan with one of the two being a one way. Seems to be Dorion's mo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Wolanin finished the year really strong and IMO was our clear cut second best defenseman. He should have earned himself a 2 year bridge contract, at least I hope so. He is one of the only Dman on the team that is calm in his own end and can make a decent breakout pass.

I know Dorion mentioned Brannstrom making the jump next year. I haven't watched him enough but I hope it's not the shiny new toy effect (which Dorion is really bad for). Let the kid get more time in the AHL. He is still so young and small, there's no rush.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Realistically Wolanin should be up with big club as a regular but if PD wants to play around he may get him with a 2 year contract with 2nd year 1 way...would be a bad look to me though and create potential friction for no reason.

Does he still need to improve? Absolutely. Is he a legit NHL D now? I believe so.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Both Wolanin and Brannstrom have played as RD before (don't know how effectively though), so it should be possible to find room for both of them on the team next year.

Chabot - de Melo
Wolanin - Ceci
Lajoie - Brannstrom
Boro, Harpur

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Both Wolanin and Brannstrom have played as RD before (don't know how effectively though), so it should be possible to find room for both of them on the team next year.

Chabot - de Melo
Wolanin - Ceci
Lajoie - Brannstrom
Boro, Harpur

I agree with all of this except I think it will be Wolanin who moves to the right side. And I think Ceci moves on.

Chabot - Demelo
Lajoie - Wolanin
Brannstrom - Jaros
Boro

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So Wolanin needs a new deal. Will Dorion give him a one way deal?
I'd like to see him get one. I think he's earned a spot, more so than either Harpur or Claesson did before him.

Sens left side is a little jammed if Brannstrom is going to play there. We know Boro's leadership won't come from the press box. And then there is Lajoie who played up with the big club almost to the end of February.

I have a feeling that Dorion will play hard ball with Wolanin.

It's not so much who starts the yr in Ott next season but who finishes especially next season. My guess is that one if not both Boro & DeMello could be gone next yr by the trade deadline since both are UFAs. Wolanin's fate could be decided by what they do with Ceci over the summer, if Ceci is re-signed Wolanin could start the yr in Belleville & then be called up when one of the two UFAs are traded. If Ceci is not re-signed then I would suspect that Wolanin probably starts the yr in Ott & Brannstrom is called up when one of the two UFAs are traded. Just not sure what they do with Lajoie, whether they keep him as depth or place him in a package for something at the draft or trade him during next yr. He's a pretty decent player so do they go smaller & replace Harpur with him or do they keep Harpur for his toughness, if the plan is to trade Boro?

However, things could also change if they draft a defenceman who they deem NHL ready if he has a very good training camp like a Moritz Seider who already has NHL size & a yr of pro play in Europe & is a RD. Should be interesting to see what happens on D throughout the summer & next season throughout the yr, lots of possibilities. Btw, do you think they trade Boro or DeMello or both UFAs or neither?

Reactions: Sen sational

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I agree with all of this except I think it will be Wolanin who moves to the right side. And I think Ceci moves on.

Chabot - Demelo
Lajoie - Wolanin
Brannstrom - Jaros
Boro
I knew I was forgetting someone! Jaros is a huge asset as a RD.

If they somehow still keep Ceci, I could see them leaving one of Brannstrom or Lajoie in Belleville.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Chabot - Demelo
Lajoie - Wolanin
Brannstrom - Jaros
Boro
I think one of Wolanin or Branstrom gets moved for a RHD,dont get me wrong as I see them both as fantastic PMD ...But we need some variation on that left side,and some skill on the right

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Love to find that Carlo style defender,big and strong and can make plays...Skill I think the left side has in spades,but its kinda soft ...The right side other than Jaros needs lots of work

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's not so much who starts the yr in Ott next season but who finishes especially next season. My guess is that one if not both Boro & DeMello could be gone next yr by the trade deadline since both are UFAs. Wolanin's fate could be decided by what they do with Ceci over the summer, if Ceci is re-signed Wolanin could start the yr in Belleville & then be called up when one of the two UFAs are traded. If Ceci is not re-signed then I would suspect that Wolanin probably starts the yr in Ott & Brannstrom is called up when one of the two UFAs are traded. Just not sure what they do with Lajoie, whether they keep him as depth or place him in a package for something at the draft or trade him during next yr. He's a pretty decent player so do they go smaller & replace Harpur with him or do they keep Harpur for his toughness, if the plan is to trade Boro?

However, things could also change if they draft a defenceman who they deem NHL ready if he has a very good training camp like a Moritz Seider who already has NHL size & a yr of pro play in Europe & is a RD. Should be interesting to see what happens on D throughout the summer & next season throughout the yr, lots of possibilities. Btw, do you think they trade Boro or DeMello or both UFAs or neither?

There are so many variables for next year and it starts with who the coach is and the style of game he wants to play.

I think that

Chabot
Ceci
Brannstrom
And likely Jaros

Are locks out of camp. After that there are a ton of options based on style of play.

I like Wolanin and i hope we play a style of play where he's a lock. But i think he's a 3rd wheel as a pmd compared to Chabot and Brannstrom and if we are playing tough physical hockey he's losing out to a bunch of guys.

We have a ton of guys that CAN play in the NHL. hopefully by 2020 we've got 2 guys that are top pair capable with Chabot and Brannstrom. I think we do, but Brannstrom has to get there

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There are so many variables for next year and it starts with who the coach is and the style of game he wants to play.

I think that

Chabot
Ceci
Brannstrom
And likely Jaros

Are locks out of camp. After that there are a ton of options based on style of play.

I like Wolanin and i hope we play a style of play where he's a lock. But i think he's a 3rd wheel as a pmd compared to Chabot and Brannstrom and if we are playing tough physical hockey he's losing out to a bunch of guys.

We have a ton of guys that CAN play in the NHL. hopefully by 2020 we've got 2 guys that are top pair capable with Chabot and Brannstrom. I think we do, but Brannstrom has to get there

I think everyone would like Brannstrom to make the team but he is not a lock. If he is brutal at training camp he will start in Belleville. If Ceci is brutal in camp he makes it anyway (a lock). Chabot, Ceci, Boro, and DeMelo are locks and Jaros and is virtually a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad