Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Christian Wolanin to Entry Level Contract

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Need to see more but with his skating he should have no trouble carving out an NHL career.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Showed a lot of confidence going for some of the plays he did offensively and with the puck. I like seeing that. Needs a lot of work away from the puck and defending but he's got some promise. Skating seemed better than I expected. All his highlights are of him set up in the O Zone so you don't see how he can move it through the neutral zone. Looks like a good one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is also another pretty good left shot defenceman in Belleville named Maxime Lajoie, should be interesting where Lajoie & Wolanin end up playing in Belleville next season. Wolanin had a nice start to the NHL tonight for his first game, good for him & nice to see Chlapik pick up his first NHL goal tonight. Other than that it was another night to forget especially in net again.

Reactions: Sensinitis

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I watched the first half of the game, so I am only basing this on that.

Thought he showed he has a lot of offensive tools. His PP shift, he looked great.

He made a lot of bad choices in the d-zone and when defending against the rush. I think the talk of him being our 3rd best D is pure hyperbole at this point, but it's also his first game so obviously I'd be foolish to expect a polished NHL defender.

It'll be fun to watch him as he develops.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I watched the first half of the game, so I am only basing this on that.

Thought he showed he has a lot of offensive tools. His PP shift, he looked great.

He made a lot of bad choices in the d-zone and when defending against the rush. I think the talk of him being our 3rd best D is pure hyperbole at this point, but it's also his first game so obviously I'd be foolish to expect a polished NHL defender.

It'll be fun to watch him as he develops.

People say 3rd best because if they said 4th best, they're saying he's worth than Ceci or Borowiecki, and both those guys are bottom pairing DEL-2 DMen.

3rd best skater and offensive instincts is probably accurate, though.

Reactions: Beville

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Been our best defenceman this evening which is impressive. Made a few poor defensive reads like crossing to his wrong side and hes been too high in the d zone. Both easily correctable with video.

But his skating, vision, passing and offensive play is only 2nd to Chabot and Karlsson.

Im loving this kid so far.
Ok so if Karlsson leaves we still have Chabot (gonna be a star), Wolanin, Summers (real similar hype as wolanin), Lajoie+Jaros (both have good resumes). And then the guys like Boro, Claesson and Ceci take bigger roles and apply the experience that they have gained.

I can see how Boro has kind of become faster in the o-zone, getting a point streak earlier, more willing to jump up and down. Defense is definitely more of a class system than offense haha, Once Karlsson is gone, I feel, other guys will simply up their own game and feel free to kind of play to the full extent of their learned range rather than always looking for scraps behind Karl (who gets all the PP time etc.)

I think we will do fine with or without Karlsson on D (obviouslky better in shrt term). But when we consider our stronf forward depth both now (duchene, stone, hoffman, dzingle, Pageau) and prospects (White, Brown, Chalpik, batherson, formenton,) who seem like locks to be NHL players and then even guys like Gagne and Luchuk who might turn out to be a specialty sniper and undrafted 2nd line centre respectively. I like Nurmi a lot too. Even his first training camp he had two goals and everyone was talking about white, chabot etc.

I probably forgot some people, but dang that looks like potential for a strong rebuilding team akin to Toronto, Colombus, or even ... better than that.

Also Gustavsssssson might actually turn out, wow, that would be unreal. And if Karl stays then we cool.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ok so if Karlsson leaves we still have Chabot (gonna be a star), Wolanin, Summers (real similar hype as wolanin), Lajoie+Jaros (both have good resumes). And then the guys like Boro, Claesson and Ceci take bigger roles and apply the experience that they have gained.

I can see how Boro has kind of become faster in the o-zone, getting a point streak earlier, more willing to jump up and down. Defense is definitely more of a class system than offense haha, Once Karlsson is gone, I feel, other guys will simply up their own game and feel free to kind of play to the full extent of their learned range rather than always looking for scraps behind Karl (who gets all the PP time etc.)

I think we will do fine with or without Karlsson on D (obviouslky better in shrt term). But when we consider our stronf forward depth both now (duchene, stone, hoffman, dzingle, Pageau) and prospects (White, Brown, Chalpik, batherson, formenton,) who seem like locks to be NHL players and then even guys like Gagne and Luchuk who might turn out to be a specialty sniper and undrafted 2nd line centre respectively. I like Nurmi a lot too. Even his first training camp he had two goals and everyone was talking about white, chabot etc.

I probably forgot some people, but dang that looks like potential for a strong rebuilding team akin to Toronto, Colombus, or even ... better than that.

Also Gustavsssssson might actually turn out, wow, that would be unreal. And if Karl stays then we cool.
i think its early to call Chabot a sure fire star.. im comfortable calling him a future 3 with some PP specialty. number 2 maybe.. number 1? im struggling to see that extra gear that you need.

I really liked wolanins game... I noticed he wasn't shy about rotating and sliding down the wall when a forward would bring the puck to the blueline (something weve started doing as a whole) but usually a first gamer will just be like " nope no thanks staying right in my position. "

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought he was immediately our second best offensive mean tonight (3rd if you count karlsson). He is going to be good if he can clean up his defensive play, which was understandably a bit raw looking given he'd yet to really learn the system or his partners tendencies

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Btw does anyone else think he could be a doppelganger for Wideman? Their faces look so similar :laugh:

Wideman-QA-thumbnail.jpg

+

6669.jpg

=

JRVULCUHKJZMAPS.20170908205357.jpg

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
i think its early to call Chabot a sure fire star.. im comfortable calling him a future 3 with some PP specialty. number 2 maybe.. number 1? im struggling to see that extra gear that you need.

I really liked wolanins game... I noticed he wasn't shy about rotating and sliding down the wall when a forward would bring the puck to the blueline (something weve started doing as a whole) but usually a first gamer will just be like " nope no thanks staying right in my position. "
Number 1, 2, 3 defenceman are dependant on the team you are playing on.

Bad teams usually have a bad 1, 2 and 3, Every defence-man is different but Chabot is clearly a step up on most defencemen at his age.

So call him 1,2, 3 whatever, all I know is my gut says this guy is going to be dominant. And so does every interview I have ever heard about Chabot. And every defenceman learns how to play defence in the NHL through time and practice. SO he isn't Erik Karlsson today, but maybe he will be Thomas Chabot tomorrow.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Number 1, 2, 3 defenceman are dependant on the team you are playing on.

Bad teams usually have a bad 1, 2 and 3, Every defence-man is different but Chabot is clearly a step up on most defencemen at his age.

So call him 1,2, 3 whatever, all I know is my gut says this guy is going to be dominant. And so does every interview I have ever heard about Chabot. And every defenceman learns how to play defence in the NHL through time and practice. SO he isn't Erik Karlsson today, but maybe he will be Thomas Chabot tomorrow.
yeah maybe.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I think this guy's gonna be a gamer. He looks poised for having no time to gel with the group. He has serious offensive instincts. Once he learns the defensive system I think he's gonna be a solid top 4 dman with pp abilities for a long time to come in the NHL

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How's he looked overall? Missed the last couple. Is he looking more comfortable?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How's he looked overall? Missed the last couple. Is he looking more comfortable?

I think he is looking great. He has incredible poise with the puck for a guy 5 games into his NHL career or whatever it is. You cannot teach the things he does well. I'll be shocked if he isn't with the big club at the start of next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->