Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Christian Wolanin to Entry Level Contract

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
People rarely ever get around the fact that they've been taken for granted and lied to when they spend thousand and thousands of dollars on a product.
The thing that burns is most nuts like myself saw this happening under BM tenure...I weakly mentioned it ,and went with the pack mentality that I was just looking for the worst,and that things would turn around.....

But for what it took for everybody,myself included. To see and believe the actual problem that has plagued this team for years now,seems to be a price that wasnt worth paying....We now sit as an expansion level team,with a few nice pieces that likely feel the same way about our ownership as we all do ....And will look to leave this cesspool as soon as they get the chance

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
i honestly hope we go longer term on him. i've seen enough from rookie tourneys, dev camp, nhl, and ahl. he's good. get him signed and worry about having three offensive defensemen on the left side if it actually materializes as an issue. right now we only have one nhl tested and proven guy, and the other two are so young/inexperienced that we don't know if all three of them playing will even be an issue. chabot could become stronger defensively, wolanin has a good sized frame and could become a physically assertive, smooth skating offensive guy, and brannstrom could become so elusive and smart his defensive game is never an issue.

anyway, the point is sign wolanin to 4 or more years if the price comes in at around 3 mil. i believe

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
i honestly hope we go longer term on him. i've seen enough from rookie tourneys, dev camp, nhl, and ahl. he's good. get him signed and worry about having three offensive defensemen on the left side if it actually materializes as an issue. right now we only have one nhl tested and proven guy, and the other two are so young/inexperienced that we don't know if all three of them playing will even be an issue. chabot could become stronger defensively, wolanin has a good sized frame and could become a physically assertive, smooth skating offensive guy, and brannstrom could become so elusive and smart his defensive game is never an issue.

anyway, the point is sign wolanin to 4 or more years if the price comes in at around 3 mil. i believe
I agree. I am really pumped on his trajectory and is a keeper

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

$3 / YEAR ? or 750 000 X4 = $3 ish ? I think 3x4 is wayyyy to high. He is replacement level at this point until he proves otherwise. Wideman was the TOP D in the AHL. I haven't seen anything yet beyond league minimum for CW until he proves otherwise.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
$3 / YEAR ? or 750 000 X4 = $3 ish ? I think 3x4 is wayyyy to high. He is replacement level at this point until he proves otherwise. Wideman was the TOP D in the AHL. I haven't seen anything yet beyond league minimum for CW until he proves otherwise.

wolanin has already shown that he skates and carries the puck better than wideman ever did at the nhl level. some of the games he played when chabot was out near the end of the year were insane. the he was a big part of bellville's huge february and most people watching the games would say he looked too good for that league. there is a lot of projecting and guesswork when signing a relatively unproven player to a longer term deal and i'm very, VERY confident that gambling on wolanin will pay off. he'll be our second best defenseman next season unless brannstrom explodes into the league and plays like a legit #2 and it won't be just because our defense sucks. the guy has a big shot, big frame, great skating, good passing, good vision and a lot of confidence.

if you don't want to take into account my scouting ability (i do like to think i don't have a terrible track record, but i'm definitely not even close to perfect) wolanin scored at a 0.4 point a game pace in the nhl as a 23 year old (turned 24 in mid march) with 12 points in 30 games in his first nhl season. wideman debuted as a 25 year old and put up 13 in 64 for a 0.2 ppg pace. he then went on to score 17 in 76 (0.22), 8 in 16 (0.5), and 7 in 25 (0.28). in wideman's rookie ahl season (22/23 years old, birthday is jan 7th), he scored 18 in 60 games, granted this was on a much lower scoring team than wolanin played on this season, so let's look at wideman's next season to get them closer in age and team quality. in wideman's second season, he scored 51 in 73 games for a ppg of ~0.7. he was 4th in team scoring, but 6th if we take pace into account (pageau and stone finished with fewer points and games played due to callups, but had higher ppg). wolanin scored 31 in 40 games for a ppg of 0.755. if we look at pace, wolanin finishes 5th in team scoring. the sample size on wolanin's season is much smaller, but the eye test shows that he was a leader on that team on the ice and a monster with the puck on his stick.

i'm excited about wolanin. i think he'll be a top 4 guy next season and a top three caliber defenseman if he can round out his defensive game. he has a ton of tools and i can't wait to see if he can put a complete game together. wideman doesn't have to tools wolanin does, wolanin's stats look better at the same ages/leagues, and wolanin looks better to the eye test.

Reactions: OD99 and aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
wolanin has already shown that he skates and carries the puck better than wideman ever did at the nhl level. some of the games he played when chabot was out near the end of the year were insane. the he was a big part of bellville's huge february and most people watching the games would say he looked too good for that league. there is a lot of projecting and guesswork when signing a relatively unproven player to a longer term deal and i'm very, VERY confident that gambling on wolanin will pay off. he'll be our second best defenseman next season unless brannstrom explodes into the league and plays like a legit #2 and it won't be just because our defense sucks. the guy has a big shot, big frame, great skating, good passing, good vision and a lot of confidence.

if you don't want to take into account my scouting ability (i do like to think i don't have a terrible track record, but i'm definitely not even close to perfect) wolanin scored at a 0.4 point a game pace in the nhl as a 23 year old (turned 24 in mid march) with 12 points in 30 games in his first nhl season. wideman debuted as a 25 year old and put up 13 in 64 for a 0.2 ppg pace. he then went on to score 17 in 76 (0.22), 8 in 16 (0.5), and 7 in 25 (0.28). in wideman's rookie ahl season (22/23 years old, birthday is jan 7th), he scored 18 in 60 games, granted this was on a much lower scoring team than wolanin played on this season, so let's look at wideman's next season to get them closer in age and team quality. in wideman's second season, he scored 51 in 73 games for a ppg of ~0.7. he was 4th in team scoring, but 6th if we take pace into account (pageau and stone finished with fewer points and games played due to callups, but had higher ppg). wolanin scored 31 in 40 games for a ppg of 0.755. if we look at pace, wolanin finishes 5th in team scoring. the sample size on wolanin's season is much smaller, but the eye test shows that he was a leader on that team on the ice and a monster with the puck on his stick.

i'm excited about wolanin. i think he'll be a top 4 guy next season and a top three caliber defenseman if he can round out his defensive game. he has a ton of tools and i can't wait to see if he can put a complete game together. wideman doesn't have to tools wolanin does, wolanin's stats look better at the same ages/leagues, and wolanin looks better to the eye test.

you're comparing Wolanin to a guy that had a relatively brief stint in the league as a bottom pair guy and occasional 2nd PP guy. Yes he looks better than Wideman but I don't see a top 3 guy emerging.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
you're comparing Wolanin to a guy that had a relatively brief stint in the league as a bottom pair guy and occasional 2nd PP guy. Yes he looks better than Wideman but I don't see a top 3 guy emerging.

Guy I quoted compared him to Wideman. I was just showing that it's not a good comparison.

If he puts the defensive side of his game together I'd say he will be a top 3 defenseman. He is too good with the puck on his stick to not be a #4 even if his defense only gets to around average. If he was on a team that is known for producing good defensemen like Nashville he'd be getting a ton of hype. We've had good offensive defensemen on the team over the years and wolanin can carry the puck with most of them. When chabot was out later in the season, most people wouldn't have known if we slapped his nameplate on wolanin

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
When you're a budget team you look to save money where you can. You rely on your talent evaluation team and take shots on players you think will go up in value. It might look like an unnecessary risk, especially with some of our past..... adventures. I honestly understand not wanting to go through that again. I just haven't felt this sure about a young player since Hoffman. I see it as an opportunity to save money after year one of the contract. I think we will have one of the best left sides in a few years. Please trade up and get seider.

Chabot - seider
Brannstrom - jbd
Wolanin - jaros

I think we need to get players locked up early and cheap to be able to able to afford a good defense.

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dont think Wolanin is a mirage either.

Skates well, has tremendous vision and the confidence to make plays based on what he sees.

I am also not of the view that having 3 PMD on the left side is a liability somehow. Of course having depth on the right side is a necessity as well but in general having a very good D paired with one who can keep up but not excel is a good pairing.

On top of that both Wolanin and Brannstrom do seem to have the ability to play their off side? Even if it isn't their permanent position having the luxury of putting them on the PP or any strategic point in the game is great.

At the end of the day we need as many good D as possible...if they can get the puck out of our zone with control we are much further ahead.

Reactions: NB613 and ATdaisuki

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You can't give a multi-year extension to an unproven defenseman. This isn't a blue-chip prospect like Mark Borowiecki that we're talking about here.

Do not forget Ben Harpur, or even Jared Cowen for that matter.

Both of them alone at the CTC still trying to get the puck out of the Dzone.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I hope is develops as much as anyone. There is more to playing D than getting the puck out of your zone. He doesn’t separate players from the puck, force turnovers, block shots, or defend at a NHL level yet. As you said he needs to develop the defensive side of his game. When he does I’d be happy to pay him. I have concerns he may always be a liability on the ice.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I hope is develops as much as anyone. There is more to playing D than getting the puck out of your zone. He doesn’t separate players from the puck, force turnovers, block shots, or defend at a NHL level yet. As you said he needs to develop the defensive side of his game. When he does I’d be happy to pay him. I have concerns he may always be a liability on the ice.
upload_2019-4-30_9-18-10.jpeg

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do not forget Ben Harpur, or even Jared Cowen for that matter.

Both of them alone at the CTC still trying to get the puck out of the Dzone.

Neither player struggled moving the puck so i find this comment odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->