Confirmed with Link: Senators sign Christian Wolanin to Entry Level Contract

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We could have a Christian on the left side and a Christian on the right side of the top pairing of Belleville next year. We'll need a good nickname for that duo.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Karlsson replacement.

Next Chris Wideman?

He is a LHD I believe, so likely not.

But then again we only have one RHD on the entire roster at the moment (discounting Karlsson for the time being) so we will have ot move a few over.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted yet (tweetbox don't work for me), but here's Dorion's comments on the signing:

Christian is talented player that has displayed high-end offensive skill from the blueline during his career at the University of North Dakota. He made the decision to turn professional and we are happy to have him under contract. Christian will join our team in Ottawa for the remainder of the season, which will present a tremendous opportunity for him to learn and develop.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He is a LHD I believe, so likely not.

But then again we only have one RHD on the entire roster at the moment (discounting Karlsson for the time being) so we will have ot move a few over.

Ceci is a RHD as is Wideman in Ottawa & Jaros, Erkamps, Burgdoerfer & Pokka in Belleville. So that makes 7 right shot defencemen in the organization. They could add another one or two this draft & potentially lose one or two at the end of the yr. Pokka leads Belleville D in pts this yr.

It's interesting that a yr ago most had never heard of this guy or cared but since about mid-season he has been piling up some impressive numbers & now we're all interested on how he is going to be as a pro. I assume he starts in Belleville & at some point they give him a game to burn off one yr of his contract, if that is what is in the agreement made. I wonder if they will sign Kelly Summers next or let him walk?

Geez, just noticed that Matt Puempel has 52 pts in the AHL this yr & Chlapik our leading scorer in Belleville has 30 pts. Ville Pokka leads all defencemen in Belleville with 26 pts & is a right shot. Surprised he doesn't get a callup given he is a PMD playing on the right side which is what GB wants on the right side in his system.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ceci is a RHD as is Wideman in Ottawa & Jaros, Erkamps & Pokka in Belleville. So that makes 6 right shot defencemen in the organization. They could add another one or two this draft & potentially lose one or two at the end of the yr. Pokka leads Belleville in pts this yr.

It's interesting that a yr ago most had never heard of this guy or cared but since about mid-season he has been piling up some impressive numbers & now we're all interested on how he is going to be as a pro. I assume he starts in Belleville & at some point they give him a game to burn off one yr of his contract, if that is what is in the agreement made. I wonder if they will sign Kelly Summers next or let him walk?

Geez, just noticed that Matt Puempel has 52 pts in the AHL this yr & Chlapik our leading scorer in Belleville has 30 pts. Ville Pokka leads all defencemen in Belleville with 26 pts & is a right shot. Surprised he doesn't get a callup given he is a PMD playing on the right side which is what GB wants on the right side in his system.

Pokka has 4 assists in 13 games with Belleville.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pokka has 4 assists in 13 games with Belleville.

My mistake. I should have said leads the D in scoring in Belleville which includes the pts he had with his former team which totals 26 pts, 4 pts off the team leader Chlapik who has 30 pts.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
For a little bit of context in regards to the "burning a year"

He is 23 years of age, so his contract is automatically 2 years in length (ELC rules), if they signed him to start for the 2018-19 season, his signing age would be 24, which is automatically a 1 year contract.

This way he gets the last 10 games of the NHL season to practice/play at the NHL level, and regardless of when they signed him to start his contract, it would expire at the end of 2018-19 anyway.

Are you sure that's true? He'll be 23 for his signing year regardless, I thought that was a 2 year ELC.

With that said, through burning a pro year this season, Wolanin will be arbitration eligible in 2019. Had he signed a 1 year deal else where during the 2018 off season that expired in 2019, he would still need an additional pro season to be eligible for arbitration since he'll be 23 on September 1st of his signing year (2018).

That was probably a big factor.

He also effectively gets an additional 92.5k signing bonus and the pro-rated remainder of his 925k base salary if he is on the roster for the rest of the season. So he'll probably end up making an additional 100k+ for a few hockey games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are you sure that's true? He'll be 23 for his signing year regardless, I thought that was a 2 year ELC.

With that said, through burning a pro year this season, Wolanin will be arbitration eligible in 2019. Had he signed a 1 year deal else where during the 2018 off season that expired in 2019, he would still need an additional pro season to be eligible for arbitration since he'll be 23 on September 1st of his signing year (2018).

That was probably a big factor.

He also effectively gets an additional 92.5k signing bonus and the pro-rated remainder of his 925k base salary if he is on the roster for the rest of the season. So he'll probably end up making an additional 100k+ for a few hockey games.
I believe you`re right, it's your age as of Sep 15 of that year. Since he'll be in the 22-23 range (he's 22 for this season, and 23 for next) he gets a 2 year deal either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad