News Article: Senators Showdown: Patrick Lalime vs. Craig Anderson

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anderson never had a team as good as Lalime in front of him. Anderson could be our co-MVP with Karlsson in many of his seasons here.

Anderson beat Price, Rask and Lundqvist in the playoffs. He has been uneven at times but he's been excellent in the playoffs. Hell he might have beaten Price twice if that ref doesn't blow the whistle early in that Game 6 in 2015.

If we had had someone as good as Anderson in the early 2000's, we probably at least beat the Leafs a couple of times.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Anderson, but I think Lalime gets underrated because all people remember are the bad goals he let in from the leafs in game sevens by Mogilny in the 02 series and Neuwendyke in the 04 series. He was great in the first 6 games of both those series but none of that seems to matter to anyone, all people care about are the soft goals.

Reactions: variable26

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anderson, but I think Lalime gets underrated because all people remember are the bad goals he let in from the leafs in game sevens by Mogilny in the 02 series and Neuwendyke in the 04 series. He was great in the first 6 games of both those series but none of that seems to matter to anyone, all people care about are the soft goals.

Second best goalie we've had (yeah, yeah Hasek) but your career is defined by how you performed in big moments. Unfortunately for Lalime, he came up short at keys time multiple times in the playoffs.

Reactions: gab6511

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lalime was not “great” in those series or in general vs the Leafs or Devils.

He was unbelievable against the Flyers.

Still, he wasnt a jerk like Andy and didn’t demand a trade, so he’s my choice.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Do you have any links on the "demanded a trade'? Doubtful. He was being shopped, maybe as part of the blow-up phase/fiasco.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I never blamed Lalime for our playoff woes, outside of that one game 7. He was a convenient scapegoat in the other series.

Us not being able to score against Joseph and Belfour were much bigger problems. And I lay the blame mostly on Martin for never thinking outside the box, and always "spreading" out our offense.

With that said, Anderson has had a longer run of consistent, quality play.

This!

Most of those series, Lalime was stellar. He let in a big goal here and htere, but the team could rarely score more than 1 when things really mattered.

The Senators hadn't found their Mojo quite yet, and a lot of blame got placed on Lalime.

I think that game against the Leafs broke him tho. He was never quite the same after that

Reactions: Ed Wood

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This!

Most of those series, Lalime was stellar. He let in a big goal here and htere, but the team could rarely score more than 1 when things really mattered.

The Senators hadn't found their Mojo quite yet, and a lot of blame got placed on Lalime.

I think that game against the Leafs broke him tho. He was never quite the same after that
He was outplayed in every single leafs and devils series by his counterpart. He was the mojo they were missing.

Reactions: TallyHo

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

He was very good in that 2002 Leafs series. People forget, we were the underdog in that series and the Leafs were a very strong team. We almost stole it from them. That was a good series that probably flipped on the 3OT win in game 2. He let in the goal but we blew it on the faceoff and let Roberts get a prime shot quickly from the slot. Pretty sure it was a 4 on 4 situation and our D had no clue what they were covering off the faceoff, both went for the puck Salo should have stayed with Roberts. Easy for me to say, it was triple OT afterall. But Lalime played a very good series against the Leafs that year, after an incredible series against the Flyers.

He was excellent in 2003 as well. .924 sv% in the playoffs that year. Lalime was an excellent goalie. No excuses for that 2004 Leafs game, but otherwise his playoff failure is overstated.

I can't decide. Lalime was more consistent, but I think Andy was better at his best. Love them both. Still a bit peeved we rolled with Hammond for game 2 of the Mtl series, the clock had clearly struck midnight (even in the regular season a bit), I think Andy wins that series and propels him to the top.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't have any ill will towards Lalime, but I take Anderson and it's clear cut for me and part of my rationale is this.

The Senator teams that Lalime was behind? I'd rather have Anderson in net. Simple as that.

People also keep looking at the Flyers series to prop up Lalime, but I remember that Flyers series well, and the entire team was absolutely stifling the Flyers that series. Their 2 goals in 5 games was not because Lalime was standing on his head. Mind you I am not saying he wasn't a part of that domination, he played stellar hockey.

I look at the rosters Anderson was a part of and the er, um, coaching, and then I look at the era of Martin and the Senators defense with a lead after 2 periods of hockey and....yeah give me Anderson behind a Martin team, it is clear cut for me.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He was very good in that 2002 Leafs series. People forget, we were the underdog in that series and the Leafs were a very strong team. We almost stole it from them. That was a good series that probably flipped on the 3OT win in game 2. He let in the goal but we blew it on the faceoff and let Roberts get a prime shot quickly from the slot. Pretty sure it was a 4 on 4 situation and our D had no clue what they were covering off the faceoff, both went for the puck Salo should have stayed with Roberts. Easy for me to say, it was triple OT afterall. But Lalime played a very good series against the Leafs that year, after an incredible series against the Flyers.

He was excellent in 2003 as well. .924 sv% in the playoffs that year. Lalime was an excellent goalie. No excuses for that 2004 Leafs game, but otherwise his playoff failure is overstated.

I can't decide. Lalime was more consistent, but I think Andy was better at his best. Love them both. Still a bit peeved we rolled with Hammond for game 2 of the Mtl series, the clock had clearly struck midnight (even in the regular season a bit), I think Andy wins that series and propels him to the top.
In 2001 Lalime posted .899 in the series vs the Leafs 2001 NHL Eastern Conference Quarter-Finals: OTT vs. TOR | Hockey-Reference.com

In 02 he was decent with .918 but a shutout in game 1 inflated the stats. With the series on the line in games 6 and 7 he went .789 and .889

In 04, Patrick posted a pedestrian .906. Game 5 .875, game 6 he was excellent. 964, but the followed it up with a soul crushing .775 in game 7. As the pressure mounted at the end of the series, he clearly was a big problem.

He was great against the Flyers to inflate his #'s.

Vs the Leafs and Devils he was always the 2nd best goalie on the ice and a big part of our struggles.

Last edited:

Harryhausen

May 16, 2017
Leafland
This is a good discussion. Lots of good points being brought up but I remember one thing that has yet to come up. People talk about how the Senators failed to score in those leaf series but it was always the same pattern. The sens usually dominate game 1 and sometimes they win via blowout. But they also see Lalime let in a bad goal. And like clockwork every year, they would tighten up defensively because they don't have faith in the goalie and their goal scoring would go pufff. Joseph and Beerfour played like world beaters against us - rarely anyone else but Lalime cost us so many important games, it is really sad. Believe or not, I really wanted the team for Anderson way back when he was a rookie with Florida. Put Anderson on that team and you have at least 1 ring.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think both are good goalies not great goalies. I just find both a good enough to push the needle and tease you but not good enough to bet on to win a cup.

Reactions: Ed Wood

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think both are good goalies not great goalies. I just find both a good enough to push the needle and tease you but not good enough to bet on to win a cup.
Definitely.

Seems like it's arguing over two average tenders being put on a pedestal because Ottawa has been so bad in the goalie department.

The notion of Andy getting his number retired is ridiculous imo.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He was outplayed in every single leafs and devils series by his counterpart. He was the mojo they were missing.

THe Leafs and Devils also had 3 of the best goaltenders of the generation. Lalime wasn't at that level, but he wasn't the biggest reason the Senators lost those series. The damn team couldn't score against the Leafs. THat was the main reason.

Maybe if Rachunek had been in position on the Friesen goal things would have been different in 2003 as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
THe Leafs and Devils also had 3 of the best goaltenders of the generation. Lalime wasn't at that level, but he wasn't the biggest reason the Senators lost those series. The damn team couldn't score against the Leafs. THat was the main reason.

Maybe if Rachunek had been in position on the Friesen goal things would have been different in 2003 as well.

The main reason was he never stepped his level of play up in any series against the leafs or devils. Yes scoring was an issue but the sens were playing with no confidence in him, cant take risks cant play their game.

Maybe if Lalime didnt let in 4 goals on 21 shots in game 2 they would have never been in that position.

Maybe if Lalime didnt let in 5 goals on 20 shots in game 4 they would have never been in that position.

In 2004 Jacques Martins and Lalime were the reasons they lost. Jacques wouldnt dress or play Spezza while they couldnt score, its actually insane.

In 2003 Lalime and Alfie were the reasons they lost. Alfie had an abysmal series against the devils, 1 assist in 7 games. However Lalime was down right terrible in games 2 and 4 in that series he had a sub .800 save percentage in those games. The fact the sens were able to push them to 7 while spotting New Jersey two games was impressive.

I personally wanted them to go after a new goalie in the 03/04 season to me he was the weak link and it ended up he certainly was.

Anderson stepped up and outplayed or played on par with the best in the game, Lalime didnt. Personally like Lalime's personality and attitude way more than Anderson but to say he was the better goalie is not correct. Patrick Lalime was the product of a very good team, they werent winning because of him. He is like Chris Osgood just not as clutch.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The main reason was he never stepped his level of play up in any series against the leafs or devils. Yes scoring was an issue but the sens were playing with no confidence in him, cant take risks cant play their game.
Ah man, this is a lame excuse and gives all of the forwards a free pass. Didn't we go almost 3 games without a goal? All on the goalie? Come on. Even when Lalime gave the team 3 periods of shut out hockey they still couldn't score. Belfour and Cujo got into the Sens heads and we couldn't put one past them, so every goal against us was a bad goal.

That they wouldn't take risks lays more with Jacques than Lalime; he didn't like anyone taking risks, its why Spezza hardly played that one year. They couldn't play their game because they didn't account for playoff officiating. The Leafs hooked, interfered, punched, faced washed, and intimidated our forwards and Martin wanted us to turn the other cheek, we'd get them on the powerplay. Our powerplay was always abysmal against the Leafs, don't need confidence in your goalie for that.

I think Andy is more clutch and the more likely of the two to steal a game.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Gonna say Anderson for me. I loved Lalime and still think he got way too much of the blame for those losses against the leafs, but he had some spectacular teams playing in front of him and Andy has not. Also Andy has never choked in the playoffs. He was probably the main reason that game 7 2OT went as long as it did, we did nothing in those overtime periods

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
f***ing domi and ricard persson. That one play ruined our absolute sure fire win against the leafs. Up 2-0 on home ice and we had them on the ropes

Reactions: robsenz

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
when i think of lalime i think of the nieuwendyk goal where he tried to reach over with his glove to try and catch it...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
when i think of lalime i think of the nieuwendyk goal where he tried to reach over with his glove to try and catch it...
Pretty sure he was playing through an injury which was in part the reason for the strange decision.

f***ing domi and ricard persson. That one play ruined our absolute sure fire win against the leafs. Up 2-0 on home ice and we had them on the ropes

Made all the more infuriating when Domi admitted to the dive.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2015...bout-bloody-2002-run-in-with-sens-ricard.html

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pretty sure he was playing through an injury which was in part the reason for the strange decision.

Made all the more infuriating when Domi admitted to the dive.

http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2015...bout-bloody-2002-run-in-with-sens-ricard.html

Im sure there was a thought process behind that decision but its still an image that i relate to Lalime.

Kind of like when I think of tucker i think of him diving after the alfie hit and then alfie scoring the winner

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ah man, this is a lame excuse and gives all of the forwards a free pass. Didn't we go almost 3 games without a goal? All on the goalie? Come on. Even when Lalime gave the team 3 periods of shut out hockey they still couldn't score. Belfour and Cujo got into the Sens heads and we couldn't put one past them, so every goal against us was a bad goal.

That they wouldn't take risks lays more with Jacques than Lalime; he didn't like anyone taking risks, its why Spezza hardly played that one year. They couldn't play their game because they didn't account for playoff officiating. The Leafs hooked, interfered, punched, faced washed, and intimidated our forwards and Martin wanted us to turn the other cheek, we'd get them on the powerplay. Our powerplay was always abysmal against the Leafs, don't need confidence in your goalie for that.

I think Andy is more clutch and the more likely of the two to steal a game.

Of course there were many factors but the proof is in the results and the stats he wasnt good enough. It wasnt only on him, but due to the position he plays he gave away multiple series as his counterpart outplayed him. Not sure why you didnt quote my entire post that the specific part you isolated was put there to roll into the rest. I backed up my point, it doesnt really do that statement justice without including the entire explanation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad