News Article: Senators Showdown: Patrick Lalime vs. Craig Anderson

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think this article is a pretty good in depth look at what many have argued over in the past...

https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-showdown-lalime-anderson/

The Senators’ goaltending records are dominated by two names: Lalime and Anderson. Collectively, they have played the most games, recorded the most wins, faced the most shots, and have the best save percentages and goals-against average. But the numbers don’t show how truly dominant each goalie was at their height. To get a clearer understanding, we need to see them at their best.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
url.gif

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lalime hands down.

Neither was the best in any year of their career, but at least Patrick was a good teammate.

Reactions: Ed Wood

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Craig Anderson not much question about it.

but like someone said above, these are problematic choices when discussing best goalie we ever had.

Both choke artists when it counted the most.

Anderson was spectacular underdog goalie tho. He was best goalie in league when he played with nothing to lose but underwhelming when he was the favourite.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Andy had the chicken season where he was on pace for a vezina-like season. Still, correct answer is obviously Hasek.

Would be nice to get an elite tender in here. Would go a long way to helping a budget team like ours compete.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Craig Anderson not much question about it.

but like someone said above, these are problematic choices when discussing best goalie we ever had.

Both choke artists when it counted the most.

Anderson was spectacular underdog goalie tho. He was best goalie in league when he played with nothing to lose but underwhelming when he was the favourite.

i disagree. Anderson was always rock solid in the playoff.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lalime had the best series of any Sens goalie or otherwise against the Flyers, but he also had some stinkers against the leafs.

Anderson was fairly consistently great in the playoffs, but people overlook that he also had his ups and downs.

I lean towards Anderson, because I never felt like he cost us a series, which can't be said for Lalime, but it's closer than some are giving credit.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I never blamed Lalime for our playoff woes, outside of that one game 7. He was a convenient scapegoat in the other series.

Us not being able to score against Joseph and Belfour were much bigger problems. And I lay the blame mostly on Martin for never thinking outside the box, and always "spreading" out our offense.

With that said, Anderson has had a longer run of consistent, quality play.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
agreed

Anderson is way over rated in this forum
Way too hot and cold imo. He hindered as much as helped.

Wasn't a big fan of his on ice body language and off ice persona either. His inability to stop wraparounds was frustrating.

Lalime I thought was good against anyone but the Leafs, and they made the Senators their bitch all those years, so not pinning that all on him other than his gaffs in game 7.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
agreed

Anderson is way over rated in this forum

Go watch the 2003 and 2004 playoffs then try and tell me Lalime is better. He cost the team atleast one stanley cup maybe two. Anderson is a way better goalie, if the sens had him back then we probably have a ring.

In 2003 against the Devils Lalime was horrible from games 2 through 4 single handidly putting the sens down 3 to 1. They outshot and out played the devils in all of those games. Ultimately it cost them the cup.

The sens were the best team in the NHL in 2004, they win that series they go to the final. They would have got Philly next who they own, then Tampa another team they owned with Calgary in the final. They had the best goal differential in the NHL, 7 points off the presidents trophy leaders. Jaques Martins was likely equally as responsible as Lalime in 2004. Spezza was 4th on the team in scoring and they couldnt score in the playoffs he only dressed for 3 games and none of games 6 and 7.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Go watch the 2003 and 2004 playoffs then try and tell me Lalime is better. He cost the team atleast one stanley cup maybe two. Anderson is a way better goalie, if the sens had him back then we probably have a ring.

The sens were the best team in the NHL in 2004 they win that series they go to the final. They would have got Philly next who they own, then Tampa another team they owned with Calgary in the final. They had the best goal differential in the NHL, 7 points off the presidents trophy leaders. Jaques Martins was likely equally as responsible as Lalime in 2004. Spezza was 4th on the team in scoring and they couldnt score in the playoffs he only dressed for 3 games and none of games 6 and 7.

In 04, Lalime is certainly to blame for that Game 7 debacle. But in the 7 game series, we were shut out 3 times!

In 03, Lalime had 1.82 GAA and a .924 SV% across 18 playoff games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In 04, Lalime is certainly to blame for that Game 7 debacle. But in the 7 game series, we were shut out 3 times!

In 03, Lalime had 1.82 GAA and a .924 SV% across 18 playoff games.
Yup shut out 3 times as the highest scoring team in the NHL. Which is why i said Jaques deservs alot of the blame. 2004 was the first and only time in NHL history that a team outshot the other team all 7 games of a series and lost.

2003 he stunk against the Devils dont really care about his overall stats he couldnt handle the pressure.

Anderson never lost the sens a series he actually won them a few. Lalime won the sens one series and lost them quite a few. I like Lalime he is a great guy but certainly was a product of the best team in the NHL and didnt have the ability to raise his game when it mattered most. In fact he is one of the least clutch goalies ever. I think people forget how good the sens were in 03 and 04.

I also agree that Anderson has poor body language, is terrible on wrap arounds and should never leave his crease to play the puck but the man showed up in the playoffs.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I take Anderson. Close but clear for me.

Outside of Hasek, Anderson is the best goalie we've had. It really sucks that he probably won't get his final game in Ottawa :(

I am sure he will get another 'game' and a big ceremony. We'll see what the organization can cook up.

I still wonder if he is actually looking for another year somewhere. Doubtful, but like the rest of his time here, we never really now what he feels ...as he always seems indifferent in terms of body language.

Anyone on here ever meet him or talked to him for more than 2 minutes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad