Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Rangers

Dorado*

Collapse down D on last goal killed them . Have to pressure the points against teams who can shoot from point well

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Disagree to an extent. I think the liberties were dispatched with equal measure by both sides tonight. The cohesion and unity has been getting better; it's not the same as last year, but it's improving.

So, you thought that Neil got back more than he gave? That's the way it should work, within reason. You don't want your best players taking penalties because he is good at his job, but man, I do miss Prust.
Never thought I would miss him this much, but I really dislike seeing Neil having a field day.

Edit: It's just something I hate seeing, and have seen too much of it this year. Why have a dork like Bickel if he isn't going to fight a guy like Neil?

*Bob Richards*

No. The coach needs to understand to slow the mother ****ing down when we're playing the 4th in 6 games and the 3rd period of over 5 periods of hockey in the last 24 hours.

This post makes no sense. They ran out of gas and we lost. If anything they need to keep those legs rolling.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Hank is by far the worst goalie in the nhl with rebound control. His inability to catch the puck is what leads to a bunch of bad goals. I am sure this is bickels doing

His boneheaded turnover pretty much started Ottawa dominating puck possession late in the game.

That shot was high and off the shoulder. No goaltender is getting that one cleanly. Maybe if A) the players were positioned correctly and B) Torts would stop collapsing against teams with shooting defenseman, we'd have won that game.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Tortorella, once again, was thoroughly outcoached by Paul MacLean.

Seems to be the story every time we play Ottawa. The whole game turned around when he decided to start the 4th line, with Bickel no less, on a defensive zone faceoff. They couldn't get posession, Bickel turned it over in the NZ, and Ottawa proceeded to dominate us for the rest of the game. Also, the D-zone structure needed adjusting. Ottawa exploited it perfectly.

TORTS! YOU CAN'T PLAY THE SAME WAY EVERY SECOND OF EVERY GAME! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

EDIT: This loss has really gotten to me...the frustrations I have with this team were magnified and put on display tonight.

The most glaring coaching decision(outside of the line juggling)was collapsing too much below the hash marks.

The Rangers outnumbered the senators down low the whole game, and still couldn't get the puck.

If you aren't going to neutralize them down low, why collapse to begin with? Send some bodies up high to cover some of those pointmen.

It seems to me the Rangers never adjust to point shooting teams ever...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This post makes no sense. They ran out of gas and we lost. If anything they need to keep those legs rolling.

Yep. Gotta keep the legs fresh by rolling at least 3 lines. Torts ran only 2. Nash, Gaborik, and Richards could barely skate at the end there.

Two big games coming up that should be two wins. Marty is going to have to come up big in the game he starts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Played and lost like a tired team. Not the end of the world.

Agreed.

I'm actually very impressed with the way the Rangers battled in this game. That old workmanlike attitude from last year has resurfaced in a big way the last half dozen games. Very good to see.

The real problem tonight was the schedule. 3 games in 4 nights would kill any team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't see what is wrong with Dagoon's statement. Henrik has always -- always! -- had poor rebound control. Every goalie has a fault, and that is his.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Always seems to be that one player who is on ice for the entire ****ing game.

The 3rd period was a shooting gallery for the Sens D, to say the least. Entirely possible he simply never got tired enough to leave the ice. :laugh:

Oh well. If it was against another team I'd be less pissed. Stupid trojan Mark Messier logo...

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

It makes plenty of sense. For example, look at how Colorado was playing against the Hawks a few days ago (well, to start the game, at least). They were slowing them down, and frustrating them. That's what Tortorella should have been getting his team to do here. Clog up the neutral zone a bit more, and also get his players to put more pressure on the Senators when they have the puck in the Rangers' zone. None of this straight-up collapsing BS, they gave the Senators' defense way too much time and way too many options.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

keep the legs rolling but play a defensively sound game. keep it along the boards, chip it out, short shifts, get the puck in deep. don't lose defensive zone coverage. collapse.

*Bob Richards*

It makes plenty of sense. For example, look at how Colorado was playing against the Hawks a few days ago (well, to start the game, at least). They were slowing them down, and frustrating them. That's what Tortorella should have been getting his team to do here. Clog up the neutral zone a bit more, and also get his players to put more pressure on the Senators when they have the puck in the Rangers' zone. None of this straight-up collapsing BS, they gave the Senators' defense way too much time and way too many options.

Or we can sidestep all of this and have Del Zotto's shot move an inch to the left.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I really thought they were going to win this. They played a good game, but the excuse about being tired is not the complete truth. The flip side of that coin is to play smarter. They let the Senators point men roam free, and always open for the pass. Ottawa's cycle was predictable, yet it ran over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad