GDT: Senators @ Rangers | Enter #6, Jakob Chychrun Edition | Thu Mar 2 2023, 7PM | TSN5, RDS

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
- for those who watch regularly and are willing, may I please ask if the team is playing in the same format / approach/style as it has prior to the all star break , or has something changed in that regards....
- I ask because as I am trying to better understand the sudden surge in scoring at even strength, from a team that placed near leagues bottom in that category for a significant length of the season
- could very well be just a by product of the team being on a good streak, or could very well be parts of the offense that underperformed (various factors ) now performing at a level originally expected (not by fairy-tale assumptions, but by calculations and data analysis)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
So happy for Brass, he’s having his best season in 4-5 years.

Nice career he’s had and 1000 games is a huge accomplishment.

Big game Brass continues the trend baby!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
- for those who watch regularly and are willing, may I please ask if the team is playing in the same format / approach/style as it has prior to the all star break , or has something changed in that regards....
- I ask because as I am trying to better understand the sudden surge in scoring at even strength, from a team that placed near leagues bottom in that category for a significant length of the season
- could very well be just a by product of the team being on a good streak, or could very well be parts of the offense that underperformed (various factors ) now performing at a level originally expected (not by fairy-tale assumptions, but by calculations and data analysis)

1)It took some time to figure out the line combinations that worked with such big changes in the offseason. Took some time for Debrincat to find a groove and took some time for DJ Smith to put the top line together. That top line is dominant right now and controlling the play the vast majority of the time.

2) Injuries. Zub missed half the season on an already thin defense. Joseph and Motte got hurt while we were already thin in the bottom 6 too. Norris out caused everyone to get slotted up. Pinto wasn't ready to be thrown for 2nd line duty but has been adapting lately.

3) Very tough start for Chabot and Batherson. Both of them looking noticeably much worse than last year. Chabot got injured and missed some games, looks much better since then. Batherson has also been better lately.

4) The team is realizing the situation they are in. Playing with a lot more passion than they did to start the year and a LOT more physical/in your face lately. The overall defensive structure is a lot better, mostly because of forwards helping the D transition the puck.

All in all chemistry, injuries causing a ripple effect and overall confidence.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Late post but WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the streak going.

Go Sens Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Chychrun is not injured.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Woke up today and still reeling from both getting Chychrun and beating NYR in a big game

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 4.58.56 PM.png

Are they going to call up Sokolov if Watson gets a suspension?
No, we'll just plug in the new forward we'll acquire :sarcasm:

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
1)It took some time to figure out the line combinations that worked with such big changes in the offseason. Took some time for Debrincat to find a groove and took some time for DJ Smith to put the top line together. That top line is dominant right now and controlling the play the vast majority of the time.

2) Injuries. Zub missed half the season on an already thin defense. Joseph and Motte got hurt while we were already thin in the bottom 6 too. Norris out caused everyone to get slotted up. Pinto wasn't ready to be thrown for 2nd line duty but has been adapting lately.

3) Very tough start for Chabot and Batherson. Both of them looking noticeably much worse than last year. Chabot got injured and missed some games, looks much better since then. Batherson has also been better lately.

4) The team is realizing the situation they are in. Playing with a lot more passion than they did to start the year and a LOT more physical/in your face lately. The overall defensive structure is a lot better, mostly because of forwards helping the D transition the puck.

All in all chemistry, injuries causing a ripple effect and overall confidence.
- thank you for writing that up ... oddly I never really considered chemistry as an factor since I assumed that was one thing they had...
- my take on the whole 5 on 5 lack of scoring when I did some digging into some advance stats there was no indication of them not generating chances 5 on 5 , putting shots on net sort of say, what was even more interesting that the team was in upper third in the league in terms of generating "high danger scoring chances" basically a shot attempt within 3 second of the previous one; be it blocked shot, save and without stoppage of the game....after that what stood out was the team shooting % during even strength and that was top 5 worst in the league...headscratcher since the powerplay was converting chances at a top 5 best in the league rate...that was basically why I asked if something changed in their style of play, based on your summary it does seem like more pucks are ending up in the back of the net that previously didn't
- I also believe the goaltending finally providing consistent efforts and results had to help as well

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Also Chychrun was a beauty. Very solid on the 5mins kill, read some plays on them, then goes and strips Kane on a partial break.

I really like him
I watched the first in my local pub so couldn't hear audio and obviously harder to see being further away

There was a pk in the first and an NYR was coming down the left wall. Chychrun steps up. Lowers the boom. Stopped dead in his tracks. Just hammered. Beautiful to see that type of hit from our D.

We really need 220 and nasty.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
i thought 5 on 5 he struggled but he hasnt played in 3 weeks so not surprising

he got caught flat footed a few times
Yeah I can agree here and there but considering the 3 weeks off and travel really liked what I saw. On the 5mins kill he was very solid. Felt good also to have a strong shot from the point as most of our dmens shoot muffins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Yeah, I noticed some intense back-checking from Batherson in the game last night.

He has a big frame and isn't slow so he's certainly not incapable of strong defence.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In fairness I think it only looks spread out because of how many PP mins we gave them
ES numbers are also pretty evenly distributed

Zub: 16:13, 22 shifts
Chabot: 14:57, 22 shifts
Chychrun: 14:06, 25 shifts
Holden: 14:00, 22 shifts
Sanderson:13:36, 22 shifts
Hamonic:13:37, 22 shifts

Reactions: Cosmix and 2CHAINZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad