Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk Offseason 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I like the slower development path and like that paradigm shift under Dorion. Lazar's struggles really leave a bad taste in my mouth considering how a lot of his issues early seemed to be confidence (by his own admission). Hard to develop when you are playing a level where you are not comfortable.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We just traded Chiasson, though.

There's lots of room. Our RW depth chart looks like:

1) Stone
2) Ryan
3) ... Chris Neil?
4) n/a

Initially I was talking about when White comes over next season!

If he steals the 3RW spot, where does Lazar play? 4C or 4RW? Would he really want that in his 4th year?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Initially I was talking about when White comes over next season!

If he steals the 3RW spot, where does Lazar play? 4C or 4RW? Would he really want that in his 4th year?

We can always start White at center. 4C is a nice, sheltered place to begin (as long as the line gets a reasonable amount of icetime).

But yeah....in a few years, something will have to give at center.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2016 - 2017 Roster
Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil/Puempel

I expect that Neil, Kelly & Pyatt may all be gone by next season & Mac's future is in doubt & there is always the possibility of another trade or two unless someone is re-signed of course. I also expect that both White & Chabot will start their pro careers in the AHL but it may not be for the entire yr. I expect that Paul, Robinson & Puempel if he is still around will likely take over the roster spots of Kelly, Pyatt & Neil. I expect the majority of everyone else to still be in place, if nobody is traded. Kelly could get re-signed if they decide to keep Paul at LW on the 4th line. This is an idea of what next yr could look like & beyond.

2017 - 2018 Roster
MacArthur/Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Paul - Robinson/??? DZ

2018 - 2019
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Lazar - White
Paul - Brown - Robinson

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
2016 - 2017 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

I expect that Neil, Kelly & Pyatt may all be gone by next season & Mac's future is in doubt & there is always the possibility of another trade or two unless someone is re-signed of course. I also expect that both White & Chabot will start their pro careers in the AHL but it may not be for the entire yr. I expect that Paul, Robinson & Puempel if he is still around will likely take over the roster spots of Kelly, Pyatt & Neil. I expect the majority of everyone else to still be in place, if nobody is traded. Kelly could get re-signed if they decide to keep Paul at LW on the 4th line. This is an idea of what next yr could look like & beyond.

2017 - 2018 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2018 - 2019
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Lazar - White
Paul - Brown - Robinson

Pageau isn't going anywhere

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
2016 - 2017 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2017 - 2018 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2018 - 2019
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Lazar - White
Paul - Brown - Robinson

Robinson in and Pageau out. Colour me surprised.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
2016 - 2017 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2017 - 2018 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2018 - 2019
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Lazar - White
Paul - Brown - Robinson

There is not a hope in ****ing hell (and thank god there isn't) that Pageau gets replaced by Buddy ****ing Robinson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Robinson in and Pageau out. Colour me surprised.

Pageau is not out because Robinson is in, they play two different positions, one has nothing to do with the other. IMO Lazar or White will eventually replace Pageau but on the other hand most here think that Lazar could be moved before Pageau is which is also quite possible. Once White is NHL ready it could come down to two of those three (Pageau, White or Lazar) on the roster & one not but on the other hand maybe someone else is moved out to make room instead. It's a long ways away & a multitude of things could happen before then, Robinson may never make the NHL & they might re-sign Neil instead. Maybe that would make fans happier.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Pageau is not out because Robinson is in, they play two different positions, one has nothing to do with the other. IMO Lazar or White will eventually replace Pageau but on the other hand most here think that Lazar could be moved before Pageau is which is also quite possible. Once White is NHL ready it could come down to two of those three (Pageau, White or Lazar) on the roster & one not but on the other hand maybe someone else is moved out to make room instead. It's a long ways away & a multitude of things could happen before then, Robinson may never make the NHL & they might re-sign Neil instead. Maybe that would make fans happier.

Oh, come on. You have Lazar on the wing for two years then conveniently shift him to centre as soon as you're saying Robinson is a viable candidate for the team. Don't play this 'different position' garbage. Lazar and Pageau coexist on the team now in different positions and there's no rational reason to believe strong play by Lazar would push Pageau out.

EDIT: Or, I guess it's White and Brown that slot in. Regardless, I don't see a universe in which Buddy Robinson is a regular Ottawa Senator and J-G Pageau isn't.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
2016 - 2017 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2017 - 2018 Roster
Smith - Pageau - Lazar

2018 - 2019
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Lazar - White
Paul - Brown - Robinson

If Lazar and Paul are to be Centres then they need to go to Binghamton this year. With Brown coming (two or three years) that may be a good thing. I see White on the RW next year and Perron on the LW. A Perron - Lazar - White/Dzingel could be balls to the wall.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Oh, come on. You have Lazar on the wing for two years then conveniently shift him to centre as soon as you're saying Robinson is a viable candidate for the team. Don't play this 'different position' garbage. Lazar and Pageau coexist on the team now in different positions and there's no rational reason to believe strong play by Lazar would push Pageau out.

EDIT: Or, I guess it's White and Brown that slot in. Regardless, I don't see a universe in which Buddy Robinson is a regular Ottawa Senator and J-G Pageau isn't.

Lazar has played centre most of his career, he has said publicly that he prefers & feels more comfortable playing centre. He played centre with McDavid on the wing, a high skilled forward in the WJC, on the top line & they won gold, he was drafted as a centre. A lot of centers in todays NHL start their career on the wing & after a few seasons are moved to centre. This has nothing to do with Robinson?

IMO Robinson replaces Neil not Pageau & only if Neil retires or they don't bring up someone else like Sortini to replace Neil or sign another RW during the summer or re-sign Neil. I'm not sure Robinson will be in the lineup next season, I have him there because I think Neil will retire but I'm not positive he will either. But you are right soon I expect they could have Brassard, Turris, Lazar, Paul, White, Brown, Pageau & even Chaplik & Smith all who can play centre & potentially most of them with the exception of Brassard & Turris could slot into the 3rd or 4th line centre spot. My guess is that White could start his pro career in the AHL for a yr or so before coming up & could also start his Sens career on the RW rather than centre. Pageau could keep his job & Lazar could be sent packing or White or someone else, who knows? My guess is that Lazar has more potential but IMO he also has more value & could be traded for a piece they need. Anything is possible really at this point.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lazar has played centre most of his career, he has said publicly that he prefers & feels more comfortable playing centre. He played centre with McDavid on the wing, a high skilled forward in the WJC, on the top line & they won gold, he was drafted as a centre. A lot of centers in todays NHL start their career on the wing & after a few seasons are moved to centre. This has nothing to do with Robinson?

IMO Robinson replaces Neil not Pageau & only if Neil retires or they don't bring up someone else like Sortini to replace Neil or sign another RW during the summer or re-sign Neil. I'm not sure Robinson will be in the lineup next season, I have him there because I think Neil will retire but I'm not positive he will either. But you are right soon I expect they could have Brassard, Turris, Lazar, Paul, White, Brown, Pageau & even Chaplik & Smith all who can play centre & potentially most of them with the exception of Brassard & Turris could slot into the 3rd or 4th line centre spot. My guess is that White could start his pro career in the AHL for a yr or so before coming up & could also start his Sens career on the RW rather than centre. Pageau could keep his job & Lazar could be sent packing or White or someone else, who knows? My guess is that Lazar has more potential but IMO he also has more value & could be traded for a piece they need. Anything is possible really at this point.

Didnt Lazar play wing and McDavid at center? I'll be very surprised if that was the case.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Didnt Lazar play wing and McDavid at center? I'll be very surprised if that was the case.

No, Lazar is a right shot which would have put him on RW or centre not LW IMO. My recollection is with Lazar at centre & McDavid at RW & Crouse I believe on LW. Anyone else have the same recollection or something different?

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
No, Lazar is a right shot which would have put him on RW or centre not LW IMO. My recollection is with Lazar at centre & McDavid at RW & Crouse I believe on LW. Anyone else have the same recollection or something different?

Pretty sure they were on different lines.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I didn't say that Lazar played LW? I thought he was playing RW with McDavid at Center. But of course I could be wrong.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Lazar played RW on McDavids line.

Correct, and Crouse did not play with the pair, he was with Gauthier and Ritchie. I believe the player who was most often paired with them was Petan.

Worth noting that Lazar looked a little out of place on the wing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nope. White makes Kelly expendable next season. Lazar makes Neil expendable after or during this season. Chabot makes Boro expendable in 2017-2018.

My recollection, a bit cloudy though, was that Lazar was the Center with McDavid at RW and "I Don't Know" on LW. (Thanks Abbot & Costello!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad