Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part IV

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I see more Letang than Subban. (I've been watching highlights though, not games, I get WHL here, not the QMJHL)

Getting a guy like that while we already have Karlsson, Methot, Ceci, and Phaneuf is ridiculous. Harpur has looked great, claesson good as well.

Boro is going to be pushed down the roster and traded like Gryba, IMO

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bouwmeester's a great player, but I see Chabot having much more confidence and much more of a take charge attitude on the ice, he sees his job not just as the puck mover like JBO does, Chabot sees his job as winner of games and team leader, JBO has more of a foot soldier's mentality to me

The thing is that I'm pretty sure I remember JBO absolutely dominating in junior too, so much so that he was strongly in the discussion for the 1st overall pick that year.

I was younger, but I still remember that there was an enornous amount of hype behind JBO when he entered the league.

Having said that, yes I also hope that we get something closer to a Letang rather than a JBO when he finishes developing.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The thing is that I'm pretty sure I remember JBO absolutely dominating in junior too, so much so that he was strongly in the discussion for the 1st overall pick that year.

I was younger, but I still remember that there was an enornous amount of hype behind JBO when he entered the league.

Having said that, yes I also hope that we get something closer to a Letang rather than a JBO when he finishes developing.

JBo when he was entering the league, looked like a guy that would challenge for the Norris throughout his career.

I dunno if Florida ruined him or what, but it just never happened for him.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
JBo when he was entering the league, looked like a guy that would challenge for the Norris throughout his career.

I dunno if Florida ruined him or what, but it just never happened for him.

I think so. Very young dmen with offensive upside that are thrown into a #1 situation on a crappy team can burn out quickly. They are usually getting torched, spending time in their own zone, and before long they just start to play with the expectation that things will end up there. Limited offensive zone time, the weight of running a powerplay on their own, etc.

Ekblad already looks a step down from his rookie year.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think so. Very young dmen with offensive upside that are thrown into a #1 situation on a crappy team can burn out quickly. They are usually getting torched, spending time in their own zone, and before long they just start to play with the expectation that things will end up there. Limited offensive zone time, the weight of running a powerplay on their own, etc.

Ekblad already looks a step down from his rookie year.

I think he was always just a great fit with Florida. It was after signing with Calgary where he just kind of...faded.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dunno...he had 1 pt/game season in junior and topped out at 46 points in NHL. Not bad by any means but I still say he never really drove play.

Great skater to join a rush or get puck out of zone but his offensive instincts and hands have never really been apparent to me.

Chabot on the other hand just oozes offensive confidence.

If Chabot has a Bouwmeester career I would not complain though. Well I would a little but then hopefully realize we still have a fantastic player.

Hard to believe Bouwmeester is only 33 too! Seems like he has been around forever.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He was one of the only 16 year olds to make the Canadian World Junior team (Jay Bou, Spezza, Crosby, Lindros, Gretz, McDavid being the only guys). He carried that prestige before entering the league, and has certainly been a great player, but he along with Spezza are the guys that don't fit into that grouping.

If we get a Boumeester out of Chabot we are ecstatic. He was a top pairing D for 10ish years in the NHL

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
He was one of the only 16 year olds to make the Canadian World Junior team (Jay Bou, Spezza, Crosby, Lindros, Gretz, McDavid being the only guys). He carried that prestige before entering the league, and has certainly been a great player, but he along with Spezza are the guys that don't fit into that grouping.

If we get a Boumeester out of Chabot we are ecstatic. He was a top pairing D for 10ish years in the NHL

Precisely. Some people aren't happy unless every prospect that looks decent is the next big thing.

I wish there wasn't such a long break for the Mem Cup so that we could see games between Sens games :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I see more Letang than Subban. (I've been watching highlights though, not games, I get WHL here, not the QMJHL)

Getting a guy like that while we already have Karlsson, Methot, Ceci, and Phaneuf is ridiculous. Harpur has looked great, claesson good as well.

Boro is going to be pushed down the roster and traded like Gryba, IMO

I'll ignore the Boro comment, but since you get WHL games I would like to know your assessment of Max Lajoie. Reading an old HF thread about him some seem to think he is a very good up & coming PMD. Is he old enough at this point to play in the AHL next season?

I think Chabot just plays like a game changer & resembles a number of good NHL PMD but what I like is that he is 6'2" so he has decent size, is an excellent skater including with speed (Karlsson lite), has excellent vision (Karlsson lite), is a good passer & pt producer from the backend (Karlsson lite). The only knock on him would be that he isn't all that physical from what I have seen of him. But hopefully, if the Sens can put some beef & muscle on him over the next yr, I would like to see him slightly over 200 lbs on his frame. Considering how well the Sens are doing now with the group they have & Claesson, Harpur & Englund performing well & Chabot, Jaros & maybe Lajoie coming the Ottawa defence should have tremendous depth, size & skill next season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'll ignore the Boro comment, but since you get WHL games I would like to know your assessment of Max Lajoie. Reading an old HF thread about him some seem to think he is a very good up & coming PMD. Is he old enough at this point to play in the AHL next season?

I think Chabot just plays like a game changer & resembles a number of good NHL PMD but what I like is that he is 6'2" so he has decent size, is an excellent skater including with speed (Karlsson lite), has excellent vision (Karlsson lite), is a good passer & pt producer from the backend (Karlsson lite). The only knock on him would be that he isn't all that physical from what I have seen of him. But hopefully, if the Sens can put some beef & muscle on him over the next yr, I would like to see him slightly over 200 lbs on his frame. Considering how well the Sens are doing now with the group they have & Claesson, Harpur & Englund performing well & Chabot, Jaros & maybe Lajoie coming the Ottawa defence should have tremendous depth, size & skill next season.

I've only seen Lajoie play in person twice, and that was years ago so I didn't notice him. I have a friend in Regina who watched him against the Pats and he's did well apparently. He had 9 points in 14 playoff games. If you look at his points, you'd think PMD, but that is not his game. He's more of a two-way guy. Think "poor man's Phillips".

As far as AHL goes, Lajoie will not have completed 4 full years of Major-Junior, so he'll have to be 20 before he can play in the AHL. It will basically be the same situation as Gabriel Gagne. If he REALLY wants to play in the AHL, he can play 20 games in the ECHL and then report to the B-Sens when he's 20 mid-November, or he can spend his last season in the WHL. Ottawa has a logjam on the left side with Harpur, Englund, Sieloff, and others so I don't expect them to rush LaJoie.

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that the Broncos have a real gem on their hands with Artyom (Artem) Minulin. He's a Russian playing CHL as an import like Sergachev and Provorov. He's expected to go in the late second or early third round and if he's around for Ottawa's second round pick, I'd take him. Hell, I'd trade up to take him. He's exactly what Ottawa's pool lacks and "should" be available. If Ottawa has been keeping an eye on Lajoie they will have had a good look as well, and they may like what they see. (Forgot to mention he's an actual Puck moving, RHD)

As far as the draft goes, I'd also take a look at Jake Leschyshyn, son of Chris, he's expected to go in that same area in the 2nd round and plays for the Pats. He's stuck behind Sam Steele, but Steele has a good chance at graduating next season for Anaheim so Jake Leschyshyn will get the top line minutes for two more years. He's like Lazar but won't require a 1st roudner and you can let him sit in the minors for a while. The family connection is kinda cool too.

Only other guy from the WHL I see the Sens having interest in is Kole Lind. His point totals don't "wow" but he's a solid player. This season he was half-way stuck behind an over-age guy (Reid Gardiner, a Penguins prospect who played 4 years and spent 1/2 the season in the AHL) on the RW. Weird situation. He's 6'1, so his size is fine. Just a gritty two-way guy who can score. If he had better point totals there's no way he should fall to Ottawa in the 1st, but who knows.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've only seen Lajoie play in person twice, and that was years ago so I didn't notice him. I have a friend in Regina who watched him against the Pats and he's did well apparently. He had 9 points in 14 playoff games. If you look at his points, you'd think PMD, but that is not his game. He's more of a two-way guy. Think "poor man's Phillips".

As far as AHL goes, Lajoie will not have completed 4 full years of Major-Junior, so he'll have to be 20 before he can play in the AHL. It will basically be the same situation as Gabriel Gagne. If he REALLY wants to play in the AHL, he can play 20 games in the ECHL and then report to the B-Sens when he's 20 mid-November, or he can spend his last season in the WHL. Ottawa has a logjam on the left side with Harpur, Englund, Sieloff, and others so I don't expect them to rush LaJoie.

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that the Broncos have a real gem on their hands with Artyom (Artem) Minulin. He's a Russian playing CHL as an import like Sergachev and Provorov. He's expected to go in the late second or early third round and if he's around for Ottawa's second round pick, I'd take him. Hell, I'd trade up to take him. He's exactly what Ottawa's pool lacks and "should" be available. If Ottawa has been keeping an eye on Lajoie they will have had a good look as well, and they may like what they see.

As far as the draft goes, I'd also take a look at Jake Leschyshyn, son of Chris, he's expected to go in that same area in the 2nd round and plays for the Pats. He's stuck behind Sam Steele, but Steele has a good chance at graduating next season for Anaheim so Jake Leschyshyn will get the top line minutes for two more years. He's like Lazar but won't require a 1st roudner and you can let him sit in the minors for a while. The family connection is kinda cool too.

Only other guy from the WHL I see the Sens having interest in is Kole Lind. His point totals don't "wow" but he's a solid player. This season he was half-way stuck behind an over-age guy (Reid Gardiner, a Penguins prospect who played 4 years and spent 1/2 the season in the AHL) on the RW. Weird situation. He's 6'1, so his size is fine. Just a gritty two-way guy who can score. If he had better point totals there's no way he should fall to Ottawa in the 1st, but who knows.

Lajoie can play in the AHL all next season, doesn't have to wait for anything.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that the Broncos have a real gem on their hands with Artyom (Artem) Minulin. He's a Russian playing CHL as an import like Sergachev and Provorov. He's expected to go in the late second or early third round and if he's around for Ottawa's second round pick, I'd take him. Hell, I'd trade up to take him. He's exactly what Ottawa's pool lacks and "should" be available. If Ottawa has been keeping an eye on Lajoie they will have had a good look as well, and they may like what they see.

Hey thanks & very interesting. I also thought the Sens have the luxury of waiting on Lajoie with the depth on the left side, it seems to make the most sense to let him develop further & get physically bigger. I don't know anything about some of those other guys you mentioned & thank you for the info although I did know a little about Jake Leschyshyn given the connection as you say.

I like Lind & also think it could come down to Lind or Comtois in the first rd & sort of lean towards Comtois because the GM is French & the Sens keep marketing to Gatineau with some of their French players. I've been wondering for a while that if Phaneuf does not remove his no trade/no movement clause & Ottawa has to leave Methot unprotected that they may consider moving him before the expansion draft. I would love to see Ottawa (only if they have too) trade Methot for a 1st rd pick & maybe get both Comtois & Lind to play on either side of White or Brown in future. :nod:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Hey thanks & very interesting. I also thought the Sens have the luxury of waiting on Lajoie with the depth on the left side, it seems to make the most sense to let him develop further & get physically bigger. I don't know anything about some of those other guys you mentioned & thank you for the info although I did know a little about Jake Leschyshyn given the connection as you say.

I like Lind & also think it could come down to Lind or Comtois in the first rd & sort of lean towards Comtois because the GM is French & the Sens keep marketing to Gatineau with some of their French players. I've been wondering for a while that if Phaneuf does not remove his no trade/no movement clause & Ottawa has to leave Methot unprotected that they may consider moving him before the expansion draft. I would love to see Ottawa (only if they have too) trade Methot for a 1st rd pick & maybe get both Comtois & Lind to play on either side of White or Brown in future. :nod:

I just don't see anyone offering a 1st rounder for Methot and then having to protect him. A second round pick, maybe.

Who has the need, the room, and the expansion slot to make it worthwhile? Too old for the Avs. Maybe Dallas would give up Anaheim's 1st? Then again, they'd have better options than Methot, well, younger ones anyway.

Plus, even if we trade Methot, we'd still lose a guy like Dzingel to expansion as a result and I'd rather keep Dzingel if all we get from Methot is a 2nd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad