Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part IV

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I see him more as a Bouwmeester type with better offensive upside.

He's a big lanky skating workhorse dman who may not be the most physically aggressive but uses his superior skating, size, and reach to recover the puck and skate it down the ice.

Bingo. Totally looks like bouwmeester out there to me. Hes way more confident because he's out there schooling juniors right now, but so did Jay once upon a time.

Definitely the best comparable that I can think of for when he settles into the NHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here is a lineup with the prospects with possible potential to be an NHL player. Anybody else who people think have a shot at making it to the NHL? There may be a few below who some people think have no chance of being an NHL player.

Perron - Brown - 2017 1st rd pick (Comtois/Lind)
Paul - White - Bailey
McCormick - Chlapik - Gagne
Ahl - Nurmi - Burgess/LeBlanc

Chabot - Harpur
Englund - Jaros
Lajoie - Wollanin/Gendron

Hogberg - MOC

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Bingo. Totally looks like bouwmeester out there to me. Hes way more confident because he's out there schooling juniors right now, but so did Jay once upon a time.

Definitely the best comparable that I can think of for when he settles into the NHL.

Bouwmeester with much better hands, and better hockey IQ is what I see.

Man will it be great to have him on the squad...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Like to think J-Bo but with much higher offensive upside.

Don't think he ever came close to Chabot level points and he never seemed comfortable driving offense.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Tragic thing about Jaybo is that had he not been thrown to the wolves in Florida, his offensive side might have developed properly.

He's a very good defenseman as is but he definitely could have been more complete.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Erik Karlsson is the comparable, I know I'll get shouted down but he's the closest thing I've seen to someone who can skate through all 3 zones with the puck as smoothly as EK can. He doesn't have the same D presence EK has but his play at the WJC showed how much heart he has.

He just glides with the puck and he skates backwards as fast as most people skate forwards. Just an elite talent, Chabot has the same quality as EK in the sense he puts the team on his back and accepts the responsibility without any ego or the negative emotions, he just goes out and does it, not like a PK who has to be noticed or a Letang who plays angry, Chabot goes out there and just does it as smoothly as EK does with a quiet confidence

I definitely see shades of Erik the way Chabot skates the puck up the ice. The kid is such a beautiful skater...especially for his size.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Here is a lineup with the prospects with possible potential to be an NHL player. Anybody else who people think have a shot at making it to the NHL? There may be a few below who some people think have no chance of being an NHL player.

Perron - Brown - 2017 1st rd pick (Comtois/Lind)
Paul - White - Bailey
McCormick - Chlapik - Gagne
Ahl - Nurmi - Burgess/LeBlanc

Chabot - Harpur
Englund - Jaros
Lajoie - Wollanin/Gendron

Hogberg - MOC
A lot of these guys are probably going to play for Belleville next year, should be a fun team to follow.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A lot of these guys are probably going to play for Belleville next year, should be a fun team to follow.

I think so too, the only guys who might not be in Bellville next yr are Brown, Nurmi, Burgess, Wollanin & maybe Gendron. I'm gonna guess everybody else could be playing there at the start of next yr. We'll see.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Peca on JayBo

7-8 years people have been in love with his upside.

Chabot is not Bouwmeister. He has way more offensive instincts and IMO we've seen a higher compete level from him in these tournaments then I've ever seen from Bow. Bouwmeister ended up a pretty great Dman, but I think Chabot is bound for better. He's gonna impact games the way Josi or Keith do. This guy is a franchise level talent.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Peca on JayBo

7-8 years people have been in love with his upside.

That's a scarily accurate analysis on Bouwmeester.

Tragic thing about Jaybo is that had he not been thrown to the wolves in Florida, his offensive side might have developed properly.

Agreed. Another case of a pro team just dumping a teenager into the league without thinking about the long-term consequences.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Chabot - Harpur
Englund - Jaros
Lajoie -

I think it's pretty impressive that we have 5 legit NHL blueline prospects in the pipeline right now. All 5 of those guys could very easily have good careers in the big league.

Lajoie will be a project, dude's still 3-4 years away and we need to be patient with him, but when he fills out he's going to be a player. Maybe not elite or anything, but he's got NHL chops.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For people saying chabot is bouwmeester with better this and that. We haven't seen chabot against NHLers yet. If he is exactly bouwmeester that's not a bad thing

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
I think it's pretty impressive that we have 5 legit NHL blueline prospects in the pipeline right now. All 5 of those guys could very easily have good careers in the big league.

Lajoie will be a project, dude's still 3-4 years away and we need to be patient with him, but when he fills out he's going to be a player. Maybe not elite or anything, but he's got NHL chops.

Who are these 5 blue chippers?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Bouwmeester's a great player, but I see Chabot having much more confidence and much more of a take charge attitude on the ice, he sees his job not just as the puck mover like JBO does, Chabot sees his job as winner of games and team leader, JBO has more of a foot soldier's mentality to me

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
One of my buddies compared Chabot to Subban today, hes not entirely wrong with the comparison either

In what aspect are they similar?

Subbans best asset, in my opinion, is his shot. That is the worst part of chabot's game. PK can skate but it's not graceful like chabot. He's also physical, which chabot is not.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Chabots shot isn't the worst part of his game. The physicality is.

But physicality is one of Subban's strength. And by that i don't means that Subban is an hitting machine but rather Subban's physicality made him a puck protection beast.

I don't feel they are similar not at all. Unless he changes his game in Nashville, which might be possible, Subban is very flashy while Chabot plays very simple but effective game.

He's a smoother skater than Subban, while Subban his an horse on skate.

But.. if he was to become Subban... i'm more than fine with that. :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot vs Subban
I think their approach to the game is similar, but their physical attributes are different.
Subban is naturally a more powerful man.
Both players can play conservatively when needed and take the bull by the horns if they have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad