Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part IV

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
The future is 2 defense pairings.

xxx - Karlsson
Chabot - xxx

Both pairings play 30 minutes.... And we roll 5 forward lines.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oh, ffs....tighten up the strap on your helmet, young man! Imagine getting whacked in the face by your own gear.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Is he okay?

They scored on the PP right after that if i remembered correctly and he was jumping on the ice.

He looked very okay to me.

I'm pumped for Chabot, i don't have crazy expectation for his first years, because that would not be fair. But that year in junior might have been the most important of his career. If he made a huge jump last year, this year, it's even more crazy.

He got better in his game, but his leadership instinct have become stronger.

I'm happy he didn't play with us all year this year. That was the choice. I think he would be ready for the big club, but to start in the AHL would not be a bad idea if needed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Stéphane Leroux (junior expert, particularly LHJMQ) said yesterday that Chabot is the best D-man in the CHL. There is not a player "close to his caliber"

Hard to not be excited/high on Chabot. The Quebec Province is raving about him.

Is Kris Letang a good comparable? Or Roman Josi?

I'm not saying he will be as good as them, but is his absolute peak looks like that?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stéphane Leroux (junior expert, particularly LHJMQ) said yesterday that Chabot is the best D-man in the CHL. There is not a player "close to his caliber"

Hard to not be excited/high on Chabot. The Quebec Province is raving about him.

Is Kris Letang a good comparable? Or Roman Josi?

I'm not saying he will be as good as them, but is his absolute peak looks like that?

Erik Karlsson is the comparable, I know I'll get shouted down but he's the closest thing I've seen to someone who can skate through all 3 zones with the puck as smoothly as EK can. He doesn't have the same D presence EK has but his play at the WJC showed how much heart he has.

He just glides with the puck and he skates backwards as fast as most people skate forwards. Just an elite talent, Chabot has the same quality as EK in the sense he puts the team on his back and accepts the responsibility without any ego or the negative emotions, he just goes out and does it, not like a PK who has to be noticed or a Letang who plays angry, Chabot goes out there and just does it as smoothly as EK does with a quiet confidence

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Chabot. I do not see EK when I watch him ... but to each their own.
Comparing him to a top 3 player in the NHL and possibly a one of the best D all time is extremely lofty.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Chabot. I do not see EK when I watch him ... but to each their own.
Comparing him to a top 3 player in the NHL and possibly a one of the best D all time is extremely lofty.

Just comparing their styles and their demeanour on the ice when they are playing 30+ minutes, both don't tire or get effected by the workload, every shift they look like they have a plan and instincts for the game that don't tire.

Chabot will struggle next year with his D when he plays NHL games, he even gets caught standing still in junior. But he'll improve.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I havent really watched Chabot much this year but in the past his defensive game left me wanting more. Has it progressed to NHL ready yet? Or does he still need a lot of development? Does his offense look like the type that will transfer to the NHL?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His offensive tool's are very reminiscent of Rundblad's, but his toolbox and skating are miles and miles ahead. Not to mention he is one of the best defensively in the CHL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The tools are there to be a top pairing defenseman, he just needs to fill out and his game has to mature.

With Harpur and Claesson perfoming well right now, I wouldn't mind seeing him start off in the AHL, assuming he doesn't outplay them significantly in camp. Would be beneficial to his development as a player, just like it was for star D like Subban, Josi, OEL, etc...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His offensive tool's are very reminiscent of Rundblad's, but his toolbox and skating are miles and miles ahead. Not to mention he is one of the best defensively in the CHL.

I really haven't watched him outside of WJC and his brief stint with Ottawa, but really? I mean, I didn't find him to be poor defensively by any means in my very limited viewings, but I also didn't see 'one of the best' either (though I'm hardly an expert). Has there been a lot of improvements in that regard since the WJC?

So excited about him as a prospect, he really gives us a chance at having two dominant D pairs.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really haven't watched him outside of WJC and his brief stint with Ottawa, but really? I mean, I didn't find him to be poor defensively by any means in my very limited viewings, but I also didn't see 'one of the best' either (though I'm hardly an expert). Has there been a lot of improvements in that regard since the WJC?

So excited about him as a prospect, he really gives us a chance at having two dominant D pairs.

Yes, he has been the best on both sides of the puck in the Q this season.

I wouldn't take anything from his game in Arizona at face value.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The tools are there to be a top pairing defenseman, he just needs to fill out and his game has to mature.

With Harpur and Claesson perfoming well right now, I wouldn't mind seeing him start off in the AHL, assuming he doesn't outplay them significantly in camp. Would be beneficial to his development as a player, just like it was for star D like Subban, Josi, OEL, etc...

Let's be honest, he will be ready to the NHL right away next year.. But at what level of ready will he be? Ready to make a significant impact? Ready to fill a spot? Ready as a role player on the team, exemple PP?

We don't know yet. So i agree with you that if he doesn't beat them significantly, and let's say why were able somehow to still have Methot-Phaneuf-Karlsson-Ceci has top 4.. start with Claesson and/or Harper on the bottom pairing.

If he's ready to make a significant impact, that means he doesn't need to be in the AHL anyway... But i would not be shock if he goes to the AHL, especially with the sucess we are having right now.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I haven't watch him a lot, i must say, maybe you can answer me.

It seems to me he's more engaged physically in his zone, Not necessarely in the checking department, but he make contact with his opponents than play very well with his stick to win the battle. Am I wrong?

He look more engaged and also smarter in his way to defend in his zone.

I watched the last game against Boisbriand, when Chabot touched the puck.. nobody were even able to come close to take the puck from him. It was Man vs Boys for him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, he has been the best on both sides of the puck in the Q this season.

I wouldn't take anything from his game in Arizona at face value.

Yeah, I was more going by what I saw in training camp/pre season and the world juniors, but glad to hear this.

Like I said, I was going on a very limited viewing, so to be taken with a grain of salt.

You comment about Runblad is spot on with my impression of him, though I'd always held back on saying as I figured I'd get torched for it. Both guys seem(ed) so cool under pressure at the lower levels.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Can we hurry up and win the Cup and start next season already?

Really excited for both the Ottawa Senators with Chabot + White as well as Belleville with reinforcements and a more mature Perron.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I see him more as a Bouwmeester type with better offensive upside.

He's a big lanky skating workhorse dman who may not be the most physically aggressive but uses his superior skating, size, and reach to recover the puck and skate it down the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad