Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah too light for the AHL. Just as dahlen. Lmao. You don't need to watch most games to get a handle on what he's doing. I saw my games. Plus everything I read about him. From people that did watch him. He's struggling in the AHL. Really struggling. Which is normal. And fine.

Ok but how do you come up with that kind of statement then?

"And he's getting killed some nights"

There's absolutely no way of saying that unless you watched most games and paid close attention to #27. And that's the problem here, you talk in absolute without knowing. You were not entirely objective and relied on your deductions/logic more. However, your statement sounded like you were trying to pass it as a fact when it was only an opinion based on not much.

From my viewings he is not "struggling in the AHL. Really struggling". Yes he is under weight for a pro and buried on the 4th line, but I haven't see him "getting killed" at all and also never heard about that. I think in the last 2-3 games he played higher in the line-up (1st line last night) and has 4 assists in 3 games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ok but how do you come up with that kind of statement then?

"And he's getting killed some nights"

There's absolutely no way of saying that unless you watched most games and paid close attention to #27. And that's the problem here, you talk in absolute without knowing. You were not entirely objective and relied on your deductions/logic more. However, your statement sounded like you were trying to pass it as a fact when it was only an opinion based on not much.

From my viewings he is not "struggling in the AHL. Really struggling". Yes he is under weight for a pro and buried on the 4th line, but I haven't see him "getting killed" at all and also never heard about that. I think in the last 2-3 games he played higher in the line-up (1st line last night) and has 4 assists in 3 games.

Immnot arguing technicalities here.

"Oh I don't think he's "really struggling" I think he's simply having a very tough time".

You make a knot look like Pamela Anderson.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Buttons best players not in the NHL. Chabot at 3. White, Brown, Chlapik also on the list

One right near the top and 4 total. More than any other Canadian team. Pretty nice. Kinda interesting they had Chlapik up there.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sounds like Button is a bit overrating our prospects to be honest. That said, Dahlen could well make this list as well.
Also, good to see 0 Leafs prospects in there.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like Button is a bit overrating our prospects to be honest. That said, Dahlen could well make this list as well.

I don't see him overrating our prospects, all of the one's listed in the top 50 deserve to be there. Chabot had an otherworldly WJC and has had an exceptional season so far in the Q, which is why he is number 3. You could argue Brown's inclusion because of his injury plagued season, but his pedigree, potential and draft position justifies it.

You're right in that you could even argue Dahlen's inclusion in this list as well, especially given his production as of late.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I think chabot is pretty good there.

Chlapik might seem high. His draft +2 year

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think Button's top 50 is fair. We can debate the positioning of our players but Chabot and White are no-brainers, and Chlapik has had an incredible season. I would personally have included Dahlen instead of Brown just because Logan has had an injury-plagued season and JD is lighting it up.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Button's top 50 is fair. We can debate the positioning of our players but Chabot and White are no-brainers, and Chlapik has had an incredible season. I would personally have included Dahlen instead of Brown just because Logan has had an injury-plagued season and JD is lighting it up.

Why would Dahlen be ranked over Brown?

A great year for Dahlen and a not-so-great season for Brown doesn't change the fact that Brown is way bigger at 6'6, skates faster, shoots harder, has better hands, and is the better playmaker. It's not about how a prospect is performing now, it's about the player they can be molded into in the future.

I really don't get all the negativity with Brown. Yeah the dude hasn't lit it up, but he's had an injury plagued season on a team that has had trouble scoring. Dude is still huge and extremely talented. Kid still has massive potential.

EDIT: nevermind just saw it's a "best players list", not a "top prospects list"

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown is the most underrated prospect by this fan base.

That's because production = projection in the minds if some, and there's nothing wrong with that entirely.

I'd be hard pressed between Brown and Chabot. They are easily 1-2 for me on a tier of their own. I still give Chabot the nod.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well Windsor fans haven't sounded too positive when talking about him this season.

I liked the pick and I'm still high on him, but he was a high-risk/high-reward pick.

And that's fine, but Winsor fans don't care about projections. They care about Brown right now, as he's only apart of Winsor for another 14 months.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That's because production = projection here for many.

I'd be hard pressed between Brown and Chabot. They are easily 1-2 for me on a tier of their own. I still give Chabot the nod.

Completely agree.

White is right below on a tier of his own, imo.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Same with Chlapik, he's taken a step offensively this season. Everyone loves him. Definitely wasn't the case last year.

He had the exact same tools and toolbox last year, but a majority were ready to deal him for a 5th because of his stat-line and box scores.

Brown has the best skill-set for a forward we have drafted in 10+ years, and he has the vision and I.Q to go with it. Has all the tools, and a very shiny toolbox. He should be untouchable.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Brown is the most underrated prospect by this fan base.

Bown has so so much potential. He has the tools to be a real force. That being said, I'm alright with where he was ranked. I read the list as being a list of who is CURRENTLY the best player outside the NHL. I'd say Brown isn't up near the top of that list. Yet. Everyone knew he was going to be a project that had to develop physically and mentally before he would be truly effective.

I keep an eye out for him, and hope to see little signs of progress, but I acknowledge that he isn't a 'now', or even a 'very soon' guy. He's a sort of ' in the coming years ' kinda guy.

I see him as an even bigger Mark Scheifele type of guy. He may not charge into the spotlight, but as he develops, he may become talked about as a top tier player. It is important to keep in mind that potential and looking at the bigger picture means there is also a chance that the hoped for development doesn't turn out as planned. He could very easily never take that step.

At this stage, he's a VERY interesting prospect that hopefully can round into a really good pick. It would be foolish to say we know anything for sure now about the player he will become with any certainty.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our top 5 is pretty good. Chabot at 3 is outstanding.

I still like White over Boeser. Boeser can shoot better but White can skate better and has a more complete game IMO.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And that's fine, but Winsor fans don't care about projections. They care about Brown right now, as he's only apart of Winsor for another 14 months.

That list cares about what they are right now as well. Or did I miss the convo change

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well Windsor fans haven't sounded too positive when talking about him this season.

I liked the pick and I'm still high on him, but he was a high-risk/high-reward pick.

From what I've seen, a big part of Windsor fan's issues with him has been his inability to stay healthy. Seems to be causing a lot of frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad