Pre-Game Talk: Senators @ Penguins. Dec. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'll let Sask correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he meant the Karlsson/Englund pairing. Not all 6 D as a whole.

Yes. And not immediately, but in a couple years.

I think we may see Chabot with Ceci and Jaros on the 3rd.

But who knows, back in 2012 I said we would get the GSN line and it would be awesome. :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

But who knows, back in 2012 I said we would get the GSN line and it would be awesome. :laugh:

Well it was awesomely bad... so you were mostly right!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

That's it, everyone has made some calls that look bad with hindsight.

I was leading the charge on Cowen regaining form for a good 2 years, I was pleading ignorance to his very apparent lack of hockey IQ (which literally is my #1 trait for players/prospects) and believed he would adjust and become a capable shutdown guy who plays within his limits.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
someone - Jaros

I still like Wideman and wish he would fit somewhere in there.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
someone - Jaros

Hopefully we don't lose Methot and we can get a nice transition period where he ends up on the bottom pairing in his elder years.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
someone - Jaros

Lajoie-Jaros? Or a UFA I guess.

Hnnnnnnng.

Seems prettier than when we were fantasizing a Cowen-Karlsson pairing :laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
someone - Jaros

Wideman isnt going anywhere, Jaros isnt pushing him out next year and Chabot will probably start in the AHL where he really should learn the pro game before making the jump as a regular.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's it, everyone has made some calls that look bad with hindsight.

I was leading the charge on Cowen regaining form for a good 2 years, I was pleading ignorance to his very apparent lack of hockey IQ (which literally is my #1 trait for players/prospects) and believed he would adjust and become a capable shutdown guy who plays within his limits.

Cowen fooled me too. I value hockey sense very highly, especially when it comes to defensemen, but I thought his physical tools were good enough for him to carve out a career as a Braydon Coburn-type 2nd pairing shutdown guy.

To be fair to those who supported him, dude was terrific in his final year in junior, was a rock in his brief stint in Binghamton's Calder Cup run, and had a great rookie year playing beside Gonchar. Everything seemed to fall apart after his injury in 2013. Was never the same after that.

Had all the makings of a terrific partner for Karlsson. Shame it didn't work out.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Cowen fooled me too. I value hockey sense very highly, especially when it comes to defensemen, but I thought his physical tools were good enough for him to carve out a career as a Braydon Coburn-type 2nd pairing shutdown guy.

To be fair to those who supported him, dude was terrific in his final year in junior, was a rock in his brief stint in Binghamton's Calder Cup run, and had a great rookie year playing beside Gonchar. Everything seemed to fall apart after his injury in 2013. Was never the same after that.

Had all the makings of a terrific partner for Karlsson. Shame it didn't work out.

Cowen has no heart in addition to little hockey sense. Boro is so much of a better player because he is a balls out competitor. Even with Cowen's lack of hockey IQ, with his huge strength and size if he had the aggression, committment and compete level of Boro he could have been a monster bottom pairing D.

Cowen was a suck who felt entitled to a great degree. He probably tuned out a lot of instructions he got.

I usually won't attack a player's desire or character much, but with Cowen I think it was a huge part of his lack of success. And I think he is pretty much done in the NHL even if he gets healthy.

You just look at almost all of our players and they are competing hard all the time. Even when they are not always that successful. The last few years of Cowen... when he was literally in the press box or getting limited ice time... I think he never really woke up to smell the roses and realized he was at a make it or break it point in his career. I think he really felt hard done by and that he had a big contract and he was just not being used properly by Ottawa. That he was always better then he showed on the ice.

I think that trade to Toronto and the realization they didn't even want him to play for them at all, must have been devastating. I hope he gets healthy and realizes he has been blowing his career and finds a niche and listens to coaches and gets back into the NHL in the future. I doubt he will, but he is among the strongest players in the world so if he can use that, maybe he can still have a future NHL career.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I just dont think people watched him objectively if they ever thought he was going to be a a top 4 NHL d man post draft. In all fairness it was pretty hard to evaluate him in his draft year as he was hurt for most of it and was sheltered on a stacked team when he was 16. We all hope that these players pan out but it was very evident that he seriously lacked hockey sense. But not only that in his interviews you could tell his ego was so large he wasnt going to put in the work or identify what the problem was. His contract demands and **** poor attitude about being stuck in Bingo when he was hurt displayed more selfishness and immaturity.

It was obvious in both world juniors he didnt have it, I happened to be at the gold medal game in Buffalo I will never forget it. He was on for pretty much every goal against in the third period. That collapse was unbelievable at the time but now in retrospect you see where Cowen's career has landed him and where Terasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin are it shouldnt be a surprise. I was elated when he was traded, I couldnt stand watching him play.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Tom Pyatt is garbage. Boucher loves him though

confused-jaguars-fan.0.0.gif

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just dont think people watched him objectively if they ever thought he was going to be a a top 4 NHL d man post draft. In all fairness it was pretty hard to evaluate him in his draft year as he was hurt for most of it and was sheltered on a stacked team when he was 16. We all hope that these players pan out but it was very evident that he seriously lacked hockey sense. But not only that in his interviews you could tell his ego was so large he wasnt going to put in the work or identify what the problem was. His contract demands and **** poor attitude about being stuck in Bingo when he was hurt displayed more selfishness and immaturity.

It was obvious in both world juniors he didnt have it, I happened to be at the gold medal game in Buffalo I will never forget it. He was on for pretty much every goal against in the third period. That collapse was unbelievable at the time but now in retrospect you see where Cowen's career has landed him and where Terasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin are it shouldnt be a surprise. I was elated when he was traded, I couldnt stand watching him play.

Cowen had 18 goals and 48 points in 58 games, and was a +44 in his draft+2 year. You may believe his WJC performance was enough to convince you that he would never amount to anything, but I recall him being a rock on Team Canada's blueline in 2011, and, if I remember correctly, Team Canada's coaching staff thought highly enough of his game to name him one of their top 3 players. After his season was over in Spokane, he was called up to Binghamton and was a horse for them in their Calder Cup run.

His draft+1 year was a disaster, but his draft+2 season was a terrific bounce-back year. Plus he had a great rookie year beside Gonchar in his draft+3 season, where he looked like he had the makings of a top 4 guy. Calling anyone a homer that thought Cowen could become a top 4 defenseman after he was drafted is nothing short of ignorant.

Cowen has no heart in addition to little hockey sense. Boro is so much of a better player because he is a balls out competitor. Even with Cowen's lack of hockey IQ, with his huge strength and size if he had the aggression, committment and compete level of Boro he could have been a monster bottom pairing D.

Cowen was a suck who felt entitled to a great degree. He probably tuned out a lot of instructions he got.

I usually won't attack a player's desire or character much, but with Cowen I think it was a huge part of his lack of success. And I think he is pretty much done in the NHL even if he gets healthy.

You just look at almost all of our players and they are competing hard all the time. Even when they are not always that successful. The last few years of Cowen... when he was literally in the press box or getting limited ice time... I think he never really woke up to smell the roses and realized he was at a make it or break it point in his career. I think he really felt hard done by and that he had a big contract and he was just not being used properly by Ottawa. That he was always better then he showed on the ice.

I think that trade to Toronto and the realization they didn't even want him to play for them at all, must have been devastating. I hope he gets healthy and realizes he has been blowing his career and finds a niche and listens to coaches and gets back into the NHL in the future. I doubt he will, but he is among the strongest players in the world so if he can use that, maybe he can still have a future NHL career.

I don't know about all this. Cowen was the captain of Spokane for two seasons, and was an assistant captain for Team Canada at the World Juniors. I don't think Cowen's character was his issue so much as it was his ability to process the game effectively and move the puck efficiently.

Maybe it played a role, but his attitude definitely wasn't the biggest reason why he busted.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
someone - Jaros

That D-corps looks like something we could see in 3-4 years, possibly as soon as 2018/19. We'll still have Phaneuf signed through that period, so the D probably looks something like:

Englund - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Phaneuf - Jaros
Borowiecki, Wideman (assuming we re-sign both guys)

Really solid D if Chabot, Englund and Jaros turn out as expected, but no guarantees there. D prospects are hard to project. Not too long ago I remember hyping up a future defense of:

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Rundblad

And look how well that turned out :laugh:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So Andy's in nets. Good. Though it woulda been fun to see Condon face the team that shipped him out. Go Sens Go!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wideman isnt going anywhere, Jaros isnt pushing him out next year and Chabot will probably start in the AHL where he really should learn the pro game before making the jump as a regular.

Wideman is going to Vegas.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Tom Pyatt is garbage. Boucher loves him though

Pyatt is a fantastic bottom 6 guy, and Boucher deserves all the credit for identifying him as a guy we needed badly for that role and the PK.

That being said, he definitely should not ever be on Turris's wing. It just highlights our real lack of depth for scoring forwards in the minors...

White, Brown, Dahlen, Chalipk, Ahl, Perron, ect should hopefully solve that issue in the next few years. But as of right now, even one injury to the top 6 stretches this team's depth to the breaking point. We only have grinders to rely on for call ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad