Confirmed with Link: Senators Organization Announces New Sports Bar Downtown

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Most pubs downtown Are pretty disapointing. They don't care about their food. Which is why it's mostly disgusting.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Chez Lucien is amazing over rated IMO. Walk down the street to Byte for a WAY better burger.

I went to Byte. Everyone had a great burger except for me. I ordered the Pork Belly burger, and it was 3 shades of disgusting. No sauce at all on the burger, so it was dry, and the patty was ground up pork belly that was seasoned to complete death. They could have saved the expensive pork belly and used cardboard and the thing would have tasted the same.

It was awful.

The fries and truffle dip were delightful though.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Most pubs downtown Are pretty disapointing. They don't care about their food. Which is why it's mostly disgusting.

I would agree. The reason why, of course, is that there isn't much profit margin on food. There is, however, plenty of profit margin on selling drinks, which is why that is their focus. (The one high profit margin food item restaurants sell is desserts, which is why they tell the serving staff to push them.) If you are at a sports bar ordering a meal, and having water or a soft drink instead of copious amounts of beer, you can expect your service to competely suck.

I have actually found the food at The Big Rig to be very good for a sports bar type restaurant, and the service was solid also. I'm glad they are expanding to the East End so that I can hit them up more often...

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Agreed.

I went to an English pub downtown and ordered fish and chips, they served me fish sticks from a box. Needless to say i was extremely disappointed and never went back.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Very hard to find a good pub with atmosphere and location that actually serves decent food imo, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Personally i am more picky towards the food as i find most places have decent beer selection and im not as picky as long as it's cold. I like the Big Rig, few times i have been the food was top notch....where as i am no fan of the food at the H&C or anything similar.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Very hard to find a good pub with atmosphere and location that actually serves decent food imo, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Personally i am more picky towards the food as i find most places have decent beer selection and im not as picky as long as it's cold. I like the Big Rig, few times i have been the food was top notch....where as i am no fan of the food at the H&C or anything similar.

Only thing I've ever had to eat from the big rig was their pizza, and it was pretty damn good.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Heart and Crown ain't bad for pub fare downtown.

Elgin, minus the Fox and Feather, generally is much better imo

Yep, go to Fox the the darts, not the food. It's a fun place to go to with 4-10 friends. Across the street at Manx has amazing food. The atmosphere is cozy to say the least, and their menu isn't huge, but what they do serve is delicious.

The new Lowertown Brewery below the Sens House has pretty good food IMO. Plus I like their speciality drinks.

So there we have it, then. Have a pre-game meal and some delicious beers at Lowertown, and when it's game time, make you way up the Sens House for the Molsons. By that time you won't mind the taste.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Chez Lucien is great if you like a dry burger covered up with cream cheese.

Me and some friends did a "burger crawl" a few weeks back. Went to 7 places. Lucien, Byte, and Art is In were the very clear winners. I personally didnt like Lucien though.

BFF and Original were the clear losers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You are in the minority then: Chez's reputation is partly on their burgers (I think the free jukebox is a big appeal but I'm in the minority on that one)

I find the burgers at the Chez to be generally tasty and good value

I usually take the special though, that's where the goodness is at

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
The menu is finally posted online. Doesn't look very exciting. The only veg option is mushroom and cheese on bun.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The best burgers and fries, in my opinion, usually come from chip wagons scattered throughout the city anyway. I think it comes down to personal taste at the end of the day though. I liked BFF on bank, that egg bun was awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad