Confirmed with Link: Senators Organization Announces New Sports Bar Downtown

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...-open-sens-house-sports-bar-grill-1909459.htm

The Ottawa Senators, along with York Entertainment, today announced the plans to open Sens House Sports Bar and Grill, a 5,000 square-foot, 250-seat restaurant located in the heart of Ottawa's ByWard Market. The sports bar will be located on York Street, in second-floor space that previously housed the Hard Rock Café and will serve as the destination for Sens fans.

About friggin' time the Sens started branching themselves into the core. I hope this puts Real Sports out of business. I hate that bar with a passion.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Sens merch on hand.
Retractable roof.
Large patio area.
Many HD TVs.

Very excited to get out to this place.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yep this is long overdue.

Speaking of RS, what makes it so terrible? Is it just the fact that it is owned by MLSE and they play a ton of Leaf games, or is the actual bar terrible with dirty keg lines, overcooked wings and bad sight lines?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Speaking of RS, what makes it so terrible? Is it just the fact that it is owned by MLSE and they play a ton of Leaf games, or is the actual bar terrible with dirty keg lines, overcooked wings and bad sight lines?

When I went, the food and beer weren't bad, but the prices were way out there.

Although skimming through their menu, seems they may have dropped the prices.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I suspect that on game nights, it will be very hard to sit four people down at this new place without a reservation, or unless one person has been squatting a table since 6pm.

The Senate could become "The second choice for sens fans when that other place is full"

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Bye bye Senate.

I've had some pretty great times at the Senate, but the last time I went I had a horrible experience (during the Olympics). Kind of funny that this new bar is going to be opening since my last and only (very) poor experience with their main competitor.

Food is average at best. Prices are too high, but it's to be expected.

Generally, it's the atmosphere for me. It's a large venue and the people who attend for games are generally pretty laid back and just want to eat. That's all well and good and I can not fault that if you're just looking to watch the game casually. The Senate, at least during the good experiences that I did have there, is a smaller venue and is always packed with die-hards. I've watched a several regular season games there and all of them were more enjoyable than watching a playoff game at RS.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I can't speak for everyone, but my own personal experience was that the food was grossly overpriced, the drink prices ridiculous and the service was terrible. They also kick you out from your table to make room for reservations, regardless if you've been spending all day.

I was there for an afternoon game with clients and as soon as the game ended, they told us we had to leave so that they could make room for people for the evening game. They kicked EVERYONE out. The managers all had a "Toronto"-attitude of "we don't need your business because people will come regardless of how we treat them." I never went in there again and from everyone I've talked to, the experience they've had has been negative as well. It's no surprise that it's not very busy anymore. Ottawans don't put up with attitude.

The Senate will be fine, the owner there did great in being the opposite of the *****bags at Real Sports. Every customer Real Sports lost, they gained.

This place will be a direct competitor to Real Sports in terms of proximity and it terms of look (with the giant screens, etc.). I hope this does serious damage to Real Sports. Anything that hurts MLSE's pocket books is great to me.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
I can't speak for everyone, but my own personal experience was that the food was grossly overpriced, the drink prices ridiculous and the service was terrible. They also kick you out from your table to make room for reservations, regardless if you've been spending all day.

I was there for an afternoon game with clients and as soon as the game ended, they told us we had to leave so that they could make room for people for the evening game. They kicked EVERYONE out. The managers all had a "Toronto"-attitude of "we don't need your business because people will come regardless of how we treat them." I never went in there again and from everyone I've talked to, the experience they've had has been negative as well. It's no surprise that it's not very busy anymore. Ottawans don't put up with attitude.

The Senate will be fine, the owner there did great in being the opposite of the *****bags at Real Sports. Every customer Real Sports lost, they gained.

This place will be a direct competitor to Real Sports in terms of proximity and it terms of look (with the giant screens, etc.). I hope this does serious damage to Real Sports. Anything that hurts MLSE's pocket books is great to me.

Real Sports is still doing well and the new Sens place won't hurt them.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I had an amazing time at real sports in the playoffs. Chanting, everything.

I will always love the senate. I guess ill go to all 3.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Beer selection will be awful though. It's essentially CTC beers as stated in the presser.

They'll learn pretty quickly that that won't work.

You can also charge a price premium at CTC because there's no where else you can go. That won't fly in the market. If they sell a $16 Burger combo, I'll gladly go to any other a market bar instead.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
They'll learn pretty quickly that that won't work.

You can also charge a price premium at CTC because there's no where else you can go. That won't fly in the market. If they sell a $16 Burger combo, I'll gladly go to any other a market bar instead.

If there smart they would charge less then other local bars etc.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Beer selection will be awful though. It's essentially CTC beers as stated in the presser.

Is it a hate you have for the Canadian and Coors style beers, and you'd be happy with a different big-name beer like Rickards or Heineken, or do you mean you really want them to offer craft brews? I can understand the former, but disagree with you if it's the latter, and here's why - it's a sports bar. In most sports bars, local craft brews need not apply. The masses (people and groups of friends there to crush beer and watch hockey) want multiple pitchers of cheap, easy drinking beer. That means beer produced from large companies that the bar can afford to sell for 5-6 bucks a pint or $16-18 a pitcher. Canadian. Bud Light. etc.

I'm all about the craft brews, and I understand the desire to sip on a well-crafted pint. I live two blocks away from Beyond the Pale brewery, and visit weekly to pick up their newest creations. But hopsy beer is the exact opposite of what I want at a sports bar.

You'd have to think that a new bar as large as this one will have at least a decent selection of beers, though. Guinness, Shock Top, a cider maybe, etc. But I wouldn't get your hopes up for an Ashton or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad