TSN: Senators lose 1st round pick in '24, '25 or '26 as penalty for Dadonov fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I guess Melnyks daughters were a chip off the old block after all

Them being minority owners going forward definitely won’t be awkward

I doubt they knew what was going on and what was being shared or not. The entire blame lays on that board that Melnyk instilled before his passing. They were the ones in charge of the organization and were the ones in charge of the sale.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I suspect they lied about what was given to them and it was proven
Ottawa traded Dadanov to Vegas in July 2021. Some have reported that only Dorion was on the call between Vegas and Ottawa. Peter Mactavish was AGM at the time. If true, curious that he wasn't part of the call. Vegas tried to trade Dadonov in March 2022, Peter Mactavish resigned in June 2022. Coincidence? Then Trent Mann became AGM, he left this past summer. We may not have all of the facts, but the timeline of these departures is interesting indeed.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ottawa traded Dadanov to Vegas in July 2021. Some have reported that only Dorion was on the call between Vegas and Ottawa. Peter Mactavish was AGM at the time. If true, curious that he wasn't part of the call. Vegas tried to trade Dadonov in March 2022, Peter Mactavish resigned in June 2022. Coincidence? Then Trent Mann became AGM, he left this past summer. We may not have all of the facts, but the timeline of these departures is interesting indeed.
Mann was fired, and it was because of the fractured relationship because of how Dorion and co handled his brother.

McGuire was fired as well, in all likelihood because Dorion didn’t want him there.

MacT definitely is a curious one. Left on his own accord, and was shortly after this happening.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mann was fired, and it was because of the fractured relationship because of how Dorion and co handled his brother.

McGuire was fired as well, in all likelihood because Dorion didn’t want him there.

MacT definitely is a curious one. Left on his own accord, and was shortly after this happening.
I mean, it could be anything, it's possible that he was part of the Eff up, and knew well enough to get out of Dodge before more came from it, or it's possible was so disgusted with how things were handled he no longer wanted to work her. Or it could be a coincidence.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean, it could be anything, it's possible that he was part of the Eff up, and knew well enough to get out of Dodge before more came from it, or it's possible was so disgusted with how things were handled he no longer wanted to work her. Or it could be a coincidence.
Exactly. Mann and McGuire aren’t curious because we (for all intents and purposes) know why they were gone.

MacT is the only curious one

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

That's what I was thinking. Also, to pay $950 million for 90% share when Seattle got their franchise for $650 million and Vegas for $500 million is a bit of a head scratcher.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Dorion did McGuire dirty, this was McGuires chance to get back into hockey ops and Dorion didn’t even try to work with him, he felt threatened by him and pushed him off to the side until he was able to fire him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If that is the case, then MA should appeal asap, as clearly, if the details and possible penalties where fully disclosed the value of the franchise would have been impacted… and for this falls much more on the NHL, than the previous ownership, as they would have been bound by the NDA.

From day one, when the expansion draft rules only allowed the scraps of the existing NHL teams to be exposed, the NHL has not been a friend to this franchise.

NDA's are to prevent Melnyk's board from disclosing things about Andlauer to third parties. And likewise to prevent Andlauer from disclosing details internal details he learns about the Senators during the purchase process to third parties.

The NDA would not prevent Melnyk's board from disclosing material information about the Senators (such as this investigation) to Andlauer during the purchase process.

Reactions: Cosmix

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Legal AND moral precedents are being set:
tainted trade goods - death penalty
sex assault - Hallmark card

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I doubt they knew what was going on and what was being shared or not. The entire blame lays on that board that Melnyk instilled before his passing. They were the ones in charge of the organization and were the ones in charge of the sale.
That’s bullshit. When Andlauer was doing the due diligence he surely would have had many conversations with the league offices and it appears they withheld some pretty important info.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
NDA's are to prevent Melnyk's broad from disclosing things about Andlauer to third parties. And likewise to prevent Andlauer from disclosing details internal details he learns about the Senators during the purchase process to third parties.

The NDA would not prevent Melnyk's board from disclosing material information about the Senators (such as this investigation) to Andlauer during the purchase process.
The NHL was pretty involved with this sale, and they should have disclosed to potential owners the possibility of the loss of a first round pick…..

Reactions: Cosmix and Flamingo

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A 2026 1st for a 2022 3rd is still very good value to dump a contract as bad as Dadonov's was.

I think Dorion knew what he was doing.
Not having a 2026 first, to trade at the deadline to acquire a rental could prove to be a greater loss than a 2022 3rd

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
People thinking the Dadonov thing wasn't that big a deal (and telling Andlauer so) isn't all that surprising, because in all honesty it really isn't. The punishment is way too high.

If the punishment had been even a 2nd round pick, don't think there would be that much outrage from the fans, and don't think Andlauer would have been all that upset either.

Besides, a Dorion trade usually involves dumping a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Andlauer fired shots at the league too. Especially on the Pinto investigation. He even said that the league wouldn't want to share anything that would drag down the sale price.

Reactions: DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No idea why we'd create threads on topics like this on the MAIN board. The main board is just a cess pool. Nothing of any value can be accomplished.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So we can put to bed that the NHL left Andlauer out of the loop eh.

I'm a layman, but this means that the Melnyk estate will be the ones paying for whatever the agreed upon financial valuation of the 1st round pick is, no?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So we can put to bed that the NHL left Andlauer out of the loop eh.
He said he was aware of it in the presser, nothing changes with this.

The NHL still took way too long to go from investigation to ramifications, and Andlauer was still mislead in terms of the potential severity. The NHL may not be the ones responsible for advising him on how serious the potential ramifications would be but they likely knew what VGK were asking for, did they let the sens know that, and just expect them to be truthful, seems ironic that they are punishing the team for not disclosing info, then expecting that same team to truthfully disclose info to a potential buyer, meanwhile delaying the outcome of the investigation until after the sale.

I really don't think this makes the NHL look any better,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad