TSN: Senators lose 1st round pick in '24, '25 or '26 as penalty for Dadonov fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Anyone subscribe to this?

What does it actually say. I see the catchy headline . Does it say there was a specific clause or is it more the price tag was sufficient to represent the clause?

Note: I tried this from twitter and there was a paywall. Other people mentioned it in the thread as well. Nice there is none here .. not sure how it happened but nice.
1699628783034.png

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What does it actually say. I see the catchy headline . Does it say there was a specific clause or is it more the price tag was sufficient to represent the clause?
Huh, it's not paywalled for me,

"The NHL held multiple days of in-person hearings last year to collect information from all three teams about the mishap and how each team was affected. At the time, Melnyck’s estate was in the early stages of the sale process. In its punishment last week, the NHL said the Senators would have to forfeit a first-round pick in either 2024, 2025 or 2026, at the discretion of the team. While the purchase agreement makes it clear that the Senators losing picks was at least part of the discussion during the NHL’s hearings, it’s unclear how the league or the sellers represented that risk verbally during the sale process. The two sides eventually negotiated an indemnification clause that specifically matched the Knights’ claimed financial damages but did not cover anything related to the loss of draft picks. ("

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So we can put to bed that the NHL left Andlauer out of the loop eh.

I'm a layman, but this means that the Melnyk estate will be the ones paying for whatever the agreed upon financial valuation of the 1st round pick is, no?

Yes, but high six figure cap on the indemnity is a joke and means they told him it was a minor issue.

Indemnity means that the seller agrees to cover the buyer’s losses arising from a particular fact known at closing.

There might be other misrepresentation claims coming if the Sens downplayed the severity and repped to that in the contract. But the parties would have purchased insurance to cover a misrep, most likely.

To make it more interesting, insurance won’t cover a misrep arising from seller fraud or willful misconduct.

Popcorn ready.

Edit: looks like the indemnity was meant to cover a situation where the Knights went after the Sens. Definitely didn’t have the full story.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Huh, it's not paywalled for me,

"The NHL held multiple days of in-person hearings last year to collect information from all three teams about the mishap and how each team was affected. At the time, Melnyck’s estate was in the early stages of the sale process. In its punishment last week, the NHL said the Senators would have to forfeit a first-round pick in either 2024, 2025 or 2026, at the discretion of the team. While the purchase agreement makes it clear that the Senators losing picks was at least part of the discussion during the NHL’s hearings, it’s unclear how the league or the sellers represented that risk verbally during the sale process. The two sides eventually negotiated an indemnification clause that specifically matched the Knights’ claimed financial damages but did not cover anything related to the loss of draft picks. ("
Yah weird I tried this from Twitter when I saw it and it was paywalled .. the one posted here isn't

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I don’t subscribe, I just clicked on the link and it opened.
There was a clause.

The purchase agreement includes a specific section related to the NHL’s investigation into the Dadonov incident, said the person, who was granted anonymity because the details are private. The high-six figure amount, which the sellers agreed to indemnify the buyer in the event of punishment, matches exactly the financial losses that the Vegas Golden Knights claimed to have suffered because of the trade mishap, the person said. The document also says that the Knights were seeking multiple Ottawa draft picks, including a first rounder, as an additional penalty.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
If that’s truly what the indemnity says then Andlauer’s main concern was a claim for damages from Vegas. For whatever reason he wasn’t looking to cover for the loss of Sens draft picks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If that’s truly what the indemnity says then Andlauer’s main concern was a claim for damages from Vegas. For whatever reason he wasn’t looking to cover for the loss of Sens draft picks.
Bettman back doored this with a stiff penalty. Now that I see that there was some $ protection on the issue ... it seems like a knife in the back to me even though there was no specific protection from losing picks

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Bettman back doored this with a stiff penalty. Now that I see that there was some $ protection on the issue ... it would seems like a knif in the back to me even though there was no specific protection from losing picks

Maybe. We'll see what happens.

We could see a legal claim against the NHL or the Sens if it looks like information was knowingly withheld or misrepresented.

Might have to happen outside the contract if there's no specific seller rep.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe. We'll see what happens.

We could see a legal claim against the NHL or the Sens if it looks like information was knowingly withheld or misrepresented.

Might have to happen outside the contract if there's no specific seller rep.
Would take some discovery that there was knowledge of the penalty ... could be tough

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He said he was aware of it in the presser, nothing changes with this.

The NHL still took way too long to go from investigation to ramifications, and Andlauer was still mislead in terms of the potential severity. The NHL may not be the ones responsible for advising him on how serious the potential ramifications would be but they likely knew what VGK were asking for, did they let the sens know that, and just expect them to be truthful, seems ironic that they are punishing the team for not disclosing info, then expecting that same team to truthfully disclose info to a potential buyer, meanwhile delaying the outcome of the investigation until after the sale.

I really don't think this makes the NHL look any better,
Nor Vegas, whose motivation was purportedly to fix their image as a team that is mercenary in its treatment of players. Foley and McCrimmon look really petty, imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
some discussion 23:40

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Nor Vegas, whose motivation was purportedly to fix their image as a team that is mercenary in its treatment of players. Foley and McCrimmon look really petty, imo.

I don’t really think Vegas looks bad here. Maybe a little bloodthirsty but they did nothing wrong.

Reactions: DrEasy

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

Note: I tried this from twitter and there was a paywall. Other people mentioned it in the thread as well. Nice there is none here .. not sure how it happened but nice.
View attachment 766098
Copy and paste paywalled articles here:
https://archive.ph/

Reactions: thinkwild

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yah weird I tried this from Twitter when I saw it and it was paywalled .. the one posted here isn't
Ya, I'd paywall access directed from twitter if I were them, twitter has been pissing me off with the changes they're making. Have to log in just to see a timeline???

Reactions: Bileur

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

View attachment 766098
here you go buddy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That's what happens when a major media platform is bought so it can be transformed into a propaganda machine for an insecure billionaire, alas.
Internet & many social media websites are kind of a "wild west" situation. The trillion dollar companies are buying too many things these days. Not sure that's in the best interest of the masses.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He said he was aware of it in the presser, nothing changes with this.

The NHL still took way too long to go from investigation to ramifications, and Andlauer was still mislead in terms of the potential severity. The NHL may not be the ones responsible for advising him on how serious the potential ramifications would be but they likely knew what VGK were asking for, did they let the sens know that, and just expect them to be truthful, seems ironic that they are punishing the team for not disclosing info, then expecting that same team to truthfully disclose info to a potential buyer, meanwhile delaying the outcome of the investigation until after the sale.

I really don't think this makes the NHL look any better,
I am a little confused. Ottawa forfeits a first round pick in one of the next 3 drafts. I thought Vegas gets the satisfaction of seeing the NHL punish Ottawa for harming Vegas. Vegas gets nothing of real value. or do they get something?

Internet & many social media websites are kind of a "wild west" situation. The trillion dollar companies are buying too many things these days. Not sure that's in the best interest of the masses.
What is in the best interest of the masses is not of interest to rich and powerful people.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am a little confused. Ottawa forfeits a first round pick in one of the next 3 drafts. I thought Vegas gets the satisfaction of seeing the NHL punish Ottawa for harming Vegas. Vegas gets nothing of real value. or do they get something?

Only the satisfaction that Ottawa was punished. Ottawa deserved to be punished. A 1st is a BIG punishment the league laid down, when Andlauer had some protection against a monetary penalty.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Only the satisfaction that Ottawa was punished. Ottawa deserved to be punished. A 1st is a BIG punishment the league laid down, when Andlauer had some protection against a monetary penalty.
Vegas seems to have been saying they suffered a loss financially. I wonder if Vegas gets compensated by the NHL. I suspect some secret deals have been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad