TSN: Senators looking to add a top 9 forward, willing to deal picks and prospects

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
The Jackets have plenty of top 9 forwards if you want any.

Texier might be due for a change of scenery, I'm not sure what the asking price would be though.

Yeah I like Texier, I think they tried him at center too. What other guys could be moved?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I like Texier, I think they tried him at center too. What other guys could be moved?

It's all kind of theoretical and depends on the return. They're not in a hurry to move anybody out, but if the return is good, they can get away with it because it is a rebuilding year. Nyquist and Domi would potentially be available, Bemstrom too, Eric Robinson, Gregory Hofmann...

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Hmm.

Florida has Vatrano (LW), UFA to be but he may be in and out of our lineup.
Good for ~20 goals and ~40pts, 2.53 million cap hit.

2nd-3rd round value for him.
Would Vatrano + prospect for Brannstrom work?
Why do you want Brannstrom? We have Ekblad, Weegar, Montour, and Gudas as RHS. Plus Juolevi, Gildon, Ludvig, Kiersted, and Priskie vying for minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of Vatrano, but I'd rather have him for a cup run than Brannstrom.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think so. I think he's more looking for someone to be a long-term piece at Center.

1. Center is where Ottawa is weakest. They have lots of wing depth, especially at LW.

2. They are likely looking for something long-term, not a UFA or a rental. They probably want someone who can be with the team for 4-5 seasons. They have Tierney coming off the books in the offseason which opens cap room. If they do find someone good, White could get bought out in the offseason super cheaply which would open up even more cap room to retain a big piece.

He is likely looking for a Center on a struggling team looking for a shake-up. If the Rangers had struggled he'd be looking at Ryan Strome or if the Sharks had started poorly, Hertl.

If Seattle continues to struggle 15-20 games into the season., he could look at one of their Centers. He already went after Wennberg in the offseason.
I know some want to pursue continued foolishness of instant grstification win now, but fact is, setting aside NY could use the roster spot to put Krav on the varsity and get him back on track [likely a precursor to dealing him after this value is upped], setting that aside, NY can't afford Strome after this season.
We need his expiring cap for Fox, LaF and Kakko new deals.

Value on Strome, expiring 4.5, no retention, is a late 1st or a 2nd +.
A bit more if we retain down to a ridiculous 2.25.
Sens could road test him and still flip him if nec late in season at TDL if nec.

Shane Pinto literally just got hurt 5 minutes ago so it'll undoubtedly be a center.
Strome.
Also, if you are a bit short in pivot, we could do McKegg + 7th for like a 6th.

And Pinto just got hurt, possibly out long term. Definitely going to look to add a C at the very least
See above.

Kravtsov for Brannstrom makes too much sense for both teams here
No it does not.
Krav is the better talent and Rangers have no need for more D.
It is possible to manufacture a construct which is an exception, but that is the rule.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dylan Strome doesn't seem to be a fit with how DJ Smith likes his players. He's soft, slow and isn't good defensively.

Smith likes guys that can play physical and with speed.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
From Vancouver, were it my call, I'd consider Miller, Pearson or even Boeser if the price is good enough. We need a top flight RHD that can play at a high level now. Otherwise...eh. We have forwards, we have LHD, we have goalies, and we're definitely in win now mode, no matter what logic and the team record says.

However, Chiasson could be had for a song. Seriously, a song. Dorion, anyone affiliated with the Senators, or even someone that went to Ottawa once for a trip, can sing a song of their choice, and Green's favorite top line winger can be yours!

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
From Vancouver, were it my call, I'd consider Miller, Pearson or even Boeser if the price is good enough. We need a top flight RHD that can play at a high level now. Otherwise...eh. We have forwards, we have LHD, we have goalies, and we're definitely in win now mode, no matter what logic and the team record says.

However, Chiasson could be had for a song. Seriously, a song. Dorion, anyone affiliated with the Senators, or even someone that went to Ottawa once for a trip, can sing a song of their choice, and Green's favorite top line winger can be yours!

Chiasson as an attractive trade target? No way the Sens are falling for that again

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Sens shouldn't be trading away picks or prospects. They can easily acquire a top 9 forward and some picks from a team wanting to dump some cap.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it could be Dylan Strome

Leafs also could possibly look at moving Kerfoot but imagine they'd want some type of warm body coming back like a Tierney which probably defeats the purpose for Ottawa at least until some bodies come back.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Don't understand why JT Miller is being mentioned here. Senators are a playoff team if they aquire him.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I know some want to pursue continued foolishness of instant grstification win now, but fact is, setting aside NY could use the roster spot to put Krav on the varsity and get him back on track [likely a precursor to dealing him after this value is upped], setting that aside, NY can't afford Strome after this season.
We need his expiring cap for Fox, LaF and Kakko new deals.

Value on Strome, expiring 4.5, no retention, is a late 1st or a 2nd +.
A bit more if we retain down to a ridiculous 2.25.
Sens could road test him and still flip him if nec late in season at TDL if nec.

Strome.
Also, if you are a bit short in pivot, we could do McKegg + 7th for like a 6th.

See above.

No it does not.
Krav is the better talent and Rangers have no need for more D.
It is possible to manufacture a construct which is an exception, but that is the rule.

Strome and Krav

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
All I read was the Senators want Kevin Hayes........
I know this is in jest, despite being Bradys cousin, Hayes is on the wrong side of 30 with a long contract.
But the real reason Ottawa wouldnt trade for him is that he is owed bonus money on his contract. Melnyk doesnt do that anymore.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can see the Senators facilitating a three-way trade involving the Calgary Flames alleged push for Eichel and taking on Monahan as a result

Ottawa is probably leery of Eichel because of the attitude, cost, salary, etc. but Monahan (with his injuries and inconsistency) is like a 50% version of Eichel. Most of the benefit, a lot less expense and downside. Meanwhile the Sabres are unlikely to wait Monahan in an Eichel deal due to the short duration on his contract and their rebuild, so flipping him to a team like Ottawa for picks makes sense.

Are you saying something like "Calgary's 1st and 2nd to Buffalo. Ottawa's 1st to Buffalo. Monahan to Ottawa" with minor adjustments?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Any interest in Toffoli, Drouin ?

Toffoli is an interesting target because he has term and dorion was interested in signing him during FA before he chose Montreal. That being said with Ottawa's current state in moving forward I wouldnt trade a first for him. I would trade a second plus something or potentially two seconds for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad