Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Lightning 6-4 loss

Berserker*

Ok I'll try to inject some insight here because GDTs are filled with angst and knee jerk reactions a bit too much

MacStachio has a lot of work to do... his pairings and lines are not optimal

And he really have to use his time-out late in the game when we are trailing. Makes no sense to have Benoit out there in the end.

If we are not going to trust Wiercioch more than that, we need to acquire another defenseman

Methot-Karlsson
??????-Gonchar
Phillips-??????

This should be set in stone. Phillips and Gonchar don't mesh well together, sometimes the job is done but not consistently

Personally, I'd have Wiercioch with Gonchar and Borowiecki with Phillips until Lundin is back. Benoit as the 7th guy.

The problem is not Phillips or Gonchar, the problem is having them together. It never worked for an extended period, it's not like it's going to work out suddenly.

-------------------------------------

Now about the forward lines... Ok Latendresse was out but until then :

Regin/Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening/Regin-Smith-Neil
Greening/Regin-O'brien-Condra
Daugavins

Really hope we stop putting so much pressure on Silfverberg. Greening need to step up and Latendresse needs to get his body/head into the game. If he does, our lines will be much more consistent

****DONT FORGET PEOPLE**** WE ARE NOT CONTENDERS YET

I doubt Regin's getting a spot in the top six. With the open spot in the top six this game, Regin didn't even get a look. Daugavins even got a look over Regin, which is an indication of what MacLean thinks of using Regin on the wing. On top of that when they moved Smith out of that spot, MacLean pushed Regin back down to the 4th line.

Regin is a player stuck in no man's land; he isn't quite skilled enough to be a legitimate top six player and he doesn't have the grit, strength and tenacity to be a real solid bottom six player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I've noticed this a lot lately, bishop doesn't elevate his game, He may have been outstanding in the ahl in the past but I have not seen him improve one bit.

lol... where the **** did you see that? He played 1 freaking NHL game this season...

Phillips and Gonchar i have no problem with. However I have a problem with them playing together. They just do not work together.

Benoit :facepalm:

Bishop wasn't great but he had 0 luck as well. Just not a game for goalies.

Spezza needs to show up 5 on 5. Hes not generating much offense.

Turris continues to be our best forward.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. All (the reality) has been said in this post.

**** trading for a dman, the weakest link on D right now is Philips and he aint going no where.

All your recent posts are about craping on Phillips, but seriously I think he saved more goals so far this season than goals that were scored when he was on the ice.

Do you seriously expect D-men to never be on the ice when the other team scores?

I wish we could talk with PM and other coaching staff after the game and ask them specific questions... You'd be very surprised by their answers on Phillips. Not every D-man is Erik Karlsson and plays the same style or looks the same doing it. Just like not every forward is Daniel Alfredsson and plays the same style or looks the same doing it.

Finally, I'd like to know HOW exactly can Phillips prevent goals that are scored from screens, "eyes shots", pinballs, etc.

I'm looking at the highlights again... You guys seriously need to watch slowly and closely what happened. Hard to blame Phillips/Gonchar and even Bishop on most goals...

I'm not sure if you have any idea on how fast the NHL game is played... Stamkos is a 60 goals scorer, how do you exactly prevent him to jump on the rebound without taking a penalty? And all those deflections, screens and pinball lucky bounces, how do you prevent them?

You guys are biased to an extreme. It has to stop somewhere.

This board is a bit hilarious.

3 of the goals on bishop were clearly not his fault.

As a goalie and a goalie coach I tried to sit back and analyze Ben Bishop a bit for this game. I don't think that he played particularly poorly.

The last goal was unstoppable, maybe he could have more quickly gotten across but I doubt it. The one before that was a tip which could of been played better if he was a bit more square but frankly it was such a poor play by our Dman that there's not the same time to get set up. The first goal was a scramble which may have been handled better. The Hedman slap shot was a perfect screen that I doubt if Anderson or Lehner would of stopped.

If any goalie stopped that last shot it would of been fluke not skill.

Exactly, as a long time goalie myself, only thing is that he played a bit too far in his net and was battling the puck a bit (rebound control). He wasn't on his A game that's for sure, but it's hard to expect everyone to be ready to rock the world right of the gate. Lundqvist sucked in his first game too

And even then, 3 goals? Outside of the 1st where he just couldn't freeze the puck, hard to stop any of those :

- 2nd : he made a nice save on a point blank shot, 60 goal scorer jumped on the rebound very fast
- 3rd : He got perfectly screened by Jim O'brien (unfortunately)
- 4th : Perfect tip by Malone, likely impossible to stop
- 5th : pinball bounce, puck went the other way all of sudden, of course he was out of position.

People should try to see the game from the other team's perspective a bit... St-Louis, Stamkos, Lecavalier and crew made some really nice plays. They are hard to stop. It's not because X or Y sucks, it's because they play against NHL superstars

WhiteLight*

3 things to take from tonight

1-Bishop is awful

2-Condra is awesome

3-Karlsson is the best player in the world

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No disrespect to him, but Bishop is simply not a NHL goalie. He's a very good AHL goalie. I don't know why everyone thinks he's a reasonable backup. Sure, he won some AHL games this year and had a good SV%, but he's never done anything in the NHL, not with St. Louis and not with us. We got lucky when he stood in for Anderson last year and turned out a couple decent games.

Well... what can you do when you had not much OPPORTUNITY? It's like saying Silfverberg has never done anything in the NHL and when he did, it was "luck"!

:facepalm:

Too bad but it's pretty obvious the best goalie tandem would be Anderson / Lehner and now at least in the short term, Bishop's trade value has gone down the toilet.

I doubt a player's value changes that drastically after ONE freaking game... HF is not reality.

Look buddy he's had 9 months off to rest, he's not 45

I'm sorry but the less action you see, the less you will be in game shape... have you ever trained?

The sens were also doing a terrible job of clearing the front of the net. It is kind of hard for a goaltender to make saves when he can't see the puck.

Good point.

I doubt Regin's getting a spot in the top six. With the open spot in the top six this game, Regin didn't even get a look. Daugavins even got a look over Regin, which is an indication of what MacLean thinks of using Regin on the wing. On top of that when they moved Smith out of that spot, MacLean pushed Regin back down to the 4th line.

Regin is a player stuck in no man's land; he isn't quite skilled enough to be a legitimate top six player and he doesn't have the grit, strength and tenacity to be a real solid bottom six player.

I'm not saying move Regin in the top line permanently but with Latendresse out, he is our next best option. Greening is a "play killer" so far this year. Everything has died on his stick.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Am I the only person that doesn't blame Bishop at all? He was either screened; the defense couldn't clear the net; or he had no chance. My only problem with him was he seemed kind of deep at times and was horrible with his puck movement.

Better reffing and more luck and we win that game. Not that we played that great though.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Liked Borowiecki s game. He was aggressive and very physical. He sure can throw a mean hit. Also liked his willingness to stick up for teammates at the end there. One thing is for sure, we need Boro to stick around because this blue line is tissue soft and if it didn't cut it against TB, imagine the rude awakening once we start playing elite tough teams like Boston or Philly. We have had it easy so far. Boro needs to play more, or Murray needs to make a trade for some toughness asap because he hasn't done anything to replace the truculence lost with Carks, Z, and Foligno.

WhiteLight*

Am I the only person that doesn't blame Bishop at all? He was either screened; the defense couldn't clear the net; or he had no chance. My only problem with him was he seemed kind of deep at times and was horrible with his puck movement.

Better reffing and more luck and we win that game. Not that we played that great though.

No confidence, bad communication, bad passing, deep in his net, bad lateral movement, horrible rebounds all night, etc

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wow, most of you really need to calm down. I understand the frustration but we had almost everything going against us this game and still should have won. That says enormous things about our ability to compete even after a game the day before.

1)We played SH or with mixed lines 90% of first period so we really only got our legs in the second and we STILL were in the game and even leading by 2!

2)This loss is solely on Bishop, but he was extremely rusty and first game of the year.

3)Murray played Benoit extra hard, especially towards the end to see if it was capable of it, imho, I'd rather MacLean/Murray see the extent of what Benoit can offer now than later on the year when it's crucial and we are questionable if Benoit would step up or not. Tonight we got a good idea of that, plus it makes him more accustomed to what he is supposed to be capable of.

3)Our depth scoring is amazing. We could score on any line and that speaks volumes of our game as well as our strong defensive coverage.

Continue? Why bother.
window-jump.gif

Hahahahhahaha! Bravo!

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
No confidence, bad communication, bad passing, deep in his net, bad lateral movement, horrible rebounds all night, etc

Bishop was awful tonight. Some of the worst rebound control I've ever seen. Just a brutal game from him. I'd be ecstatic if we could get a 2nd for him. Lehner should be up.

Also, reffing was disgraceful, but Ottawa didn't play well. I think we should call up Hoffman or Stone to play in the top 6.

Finally, extremely dissapointed with Spezza tonight. No emotion, lack of effort. No speed through the neutral zone at all. Looked like a turtle. Franklin Spezza.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The two things that wanted me to bunch a baby the most had to be Bishop puckhandling the puck. I screamed at the top of my lungs whenever he went out because it resulted into a worse scenario then if he didn't touch it. The tying goal was because he got in Phillip's way and sloooowllllly went back.

Then... Jim O'Brien, hahahhaha. On the penalty kill where the Tampa defender blew his stick and O'Brien had a clear lane to the net with only the defender in his way trying to control the puck with his skates and he goes off for a line-change. He doesn't even bother to take advantage, waste more time etc...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I've now seen our team play 2 very bad games, one decent and one good. We've been lucky with our opponents and of course anderson stealing things from them.

Keep on working away, long ways to go. Forwards need a shakeup.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think of it this way. Bishop didn't really let in shots that should have been routine saves, but he also didn't make Dean Brown say "OH AND WHAT A SAVE BY BISHOP!". He didn't make any big saves at key times when we needed him to step up.

I do think that ultimately he is the reason we didn't come away with two points, however it was his first game up here. That said, I think it's evident that he has enough flaws that he will a) never be a #1 goalie in the league, and b) not be a go-to or rock solid backup for us for the foreseeable future.

WhiteLight*

Greening is not good. Physical tools are there but he doesn't make good use of them. Unfortunate, cause the guy was beast mode in 2010-11.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree forwards need a shake-up. I think it's time we put Michalek with Turris again. They looked brilliant together on that Karlsson goal. I think Michalek would thrive more in a system where he would play with a center who would alternate their entry to the zone. Giving the defense something to question.

On Spezza's line, Michalek just tries to find open ice and shoot it, his best asset: speed, isn't in full use making him not as effective. That's why he was able to get more assists than goals when he was on San Jose, he thrived at that 2 way threat.

I completely understand if management want to keep em cause Milo had 35 goals but with more depth on our top 2 lines I think we can alternate without seeing a huge decline from those 35 even if he is on our 2nd line.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Similar to the first time i saw bishop in bingo. He sucked. He settled down after a couple though and was a capable backup.

WhiteLight*

Not sure what Greening your watching. He was OK this game and was great last game.

The plays dies on his stick everytime.

He's fast, but he's so slow at the same time. He never goes full tilt.

He's the Hulk but is too soft.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I agree forwards need a shake-up. I think it's time we put Michalek with Turris again. They looked brilliant together on that Karlsson goal. I think Michalek would thrive more in a system where he would play with a center who would alternate their entry to the zone. Giving the defense something to question.

On Spezza's line, Michalek just tries to find open ice and shoot it, his best asset: speed, isn't in full use making him not as effective. That's why he was able to get more assists than goals when he was on San Jose, he thrived at that 2 way threat.

I completely understand if management want to keep em cause Milo had 35 goals but with more depth on our top 2 lines I think we can alternate without seeing a huge decline from those 35 even if he is on our 2nd line.

So,

Latendresse - Spezza -Silfverberg
Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson ?

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

I agree with that and unfortunately it makes it look like lazy coaching. More thought needs to be given to line chemistry. It is very important. Spezza and alfie were together for a min or so. They scored. Michalek and turris were together and scored.
Nevermind starting and leaving silfverberg on the first line.
If the lines are the same next game lazy is going to start morphing into dumb and i don't like saying that about king paulrus.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00