Post-Game Talk: Senators @ Lightning 6-4 loss

WhiteLight*

I disagree about plays dying from him but agree he could be more physical

The guy should be a hound out there. He should be on people right away with his speed, and he should knock people off the puck and win most battles.

He's way too passive.

Imagine Regin in Greening's body. That would be a player

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So,

Latendresse - Spezza -Silfverberg
Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson ?

Or:

Lats-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Turris-Silfverberg.

I know Turris and Alfredsson have good chemistry but I've seen Turris click with Silfv and Michalek equally well. Spezza with Alfredsson offers a more prominent duo with someone who could thrive off them by just shooting the puck or used in board play due to his strong physical nature.

I don't think we'll see Alfredsson on the top-line against the toughest competition so that leaves your recommendation.

Berserker*

Liked Borowiecki s game. He was aggressive and very physical. He sure can throw a mean hit. Also liked his willingness to stick up for teammates at the end there. One thing is for sure, we need Boro to stick around because this blue line is tissue soft and if it didn't cut it against TB, imagine the rude awakening once we start playing elite tough teams like Boston or Philly. We have had it easy so far. Boro needs to play more, or Murray needs to make a trade for some toughness asap because he hasn't done anything to replace the truculence lost with Carks, Z, and Foligno.

Well I am certainly an advocate of improving the toughness of this team. We aren't a soft team or anything but we aren't very physical and are a bit at risk of our defense and goalies getting bullied by the opposition. It could possibly benefit the sens by having a few more abrasive players in the lineup.IMO one of the things that we are really lacking is a few more agitators. We don't really have many players on the roster that are nasty to play against and do a good job of getting under the skin of the opposition. Foligno was starting to develop into that role but we ended up trading him.

It will be interesting to see how we perform against Pittsburgh on Sunday in terms of the physicality. They have been a pretty physical team the last few years under Bylsma and should bring a chippy game on Sunday.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Liked Borowiecki s game. He was aggressive and very physical. He sure can throw a mean hit. Also liked his willingness to stick up for teammates at the end there. One thing is for sure, we need Boro to stick around because this blue line is tissue soft and if it didn't cut it against TB, imagine the rude awakening once we start playing elite tough teams like Boston or Philly. We have had it easy so far. Boro needs to play more, or Murray needs to make a trade for some toughness asap because he hasn't done anything to replace the truculence lost with Carks, Z, and Foligno.

Dooode... Marc Methot, Jim O'Brien and Guillaume Latendresse are new members of this team, they are very physical and more than replace the guys you were talking about. Not only they are as physical, but they're much better at this thing called hockey

You can also think about Boro for Lee (don't think Benoit will stay very long) and Silfverberg for Butler

Think about it and let me know if you're still worried :

Lost :

Nick Foligno
Zenon Konopka
Bobby Butler
Filip Kuba
Brian Lee
Matt Carkner

Added :

Guillaume Latendresse
Jim O'Brien
Jakob Silfverberg
Marc Methot
Mike Lundin
Mark Borowiecki

* Only problem we have is replacing Jared Cowen by Patty Wiercioch (Andre Benoit has played too)...

WhiteLight*

If Wiercioch doesn't play vs Pitts I'll be severely disappoint. Much better player than Boro

Berserker*

Greening is not good. Physical tools are there but he doesn't make good use of them. Unfortunate, cause the guy was beast mode in 2010-11.

He doesn't really have a nasty side to his game and I'm not sure he ever will. It's unfortunate because he would be a huge asset to this team if he played more like Neil.

He still is a valuable bottom sixer though, he just needs to shake off the rust.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If Wiercioch doesn't play vs Pitts I'll be severely disappoint. Much better player than Boro

It might be time to at least try splitting up Philly and Gonchar. It'd be nice to see Boro AND Wier out there paired up with the vets. Its not ideal but it gives us mobility on the back end at all times. Wier and Gonch seem like a natural fit.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Such a let down game. Few thoughts

Benoit had a really rough game I thought, would like to see him sit and Wiercioch come back in. Boro on the other hand was solid, throwing some good hits and really adding a physical presence on the blueline. Way exceeded my expectations after hearing and seeing how he wasn't so good in Bingo this year.

Alfredsson and Turris were amazing together in the losing effort. Turris continues to shine and you can tell Alfie has kind of lost a step but he is still so smart that he can make big time plays.

Spezza and Michalek on the other hand need to do more offensively. Might have just been Bouchers line matching but they seemed to get hemmed in the defensive zone way too often.

Greening hasn't looked great all year. Someone earlier made a comment about the plays dying as soon as it touches his stick and its so true. Daugavins on the other hand was all over the ice making things happen. He should stick but who will draw out for Lats on Sunday? Greening is my vote but I think its more likely that O'Brien or Regin sit.

Bishop didn't have a great game by any means but lets be realistic, he had piss poor luck as well. He really needs to make better decisions when playing the puck though.

Onto the Pens on Sunday, I'd like to see Wiercioch and Gonchar play together on the 2nd pairing and Boro and Phillips on the 3rd pairing. Phillips is too slow to be a good partner for Gonchar and while Gonchar didn't have his best game, he still was good offensively. Will be interesting when Lundin comes back, makes you think that Phillips and Lundin could be the 3rd pairing and one of Benoit, Weircoich and Boro make the 2nd unit with Gonchar.

I think the Sens are going to be in tough on Sunday though, Pens had dropped 2 straight but Crosby seems to be waking up and he will probably light it up unless Anderson can keep up his insane level of play. Really hope the whole team comes out with a better effort and more energy.

Tonights game really made me miss Cowen though. Cowen and Gonchar as the 2nd pairing would dramatically change the look of the defence, in a good way.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I honestly think the boys are still wearin' off the remaining rust still on em. I think the system is there but the crisp or fluency hasn't been fully established yet. Once it is, watch out...

WhiteLight*

Just noticed Daugavins and Alfredsson were -3. Surprising to me atleast.

Oh and despite the loss, still 4th in the conference. :)

Daugavins isn't that good, even tonight. Made a nice pass to Alfie, but on the whole he's a pretty weak player. He's a filler, 13th forward type.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Daugavins was one of our better players tonight I though. Played more physically then he did last season and made some nice plays. I would definitely keep him in next game.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yep, daug did his job. Same with condra, greening, neil.

The problem is our top six. Wake up. I realize they've been scoring at an acceptable rate, but they've been invisible.

also, our defense is subpar, but we all knew that already. We need to figure out a way to cover for it.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Daugavins is the perfect thirteenth forward......a high energy guy who doesn't whine when he's not playing, never embarrases when he does play and is much beloved by his team mates. He's also the funniest guy to ever wear the Sens uniform. It's a shame that so many Sens fans are eager to see him gone.

Penner getrdonebryan

Jun 8, 2007
Rou.
To me the question is not about Bishop and his capabilities to be a NHL backup on this team. It's more about if showcasing him is more important to the management than having the best 2 goaltenders this organization has, occupying the goaltending spots with the big club

Is a 3rd or a second tier prospect worth toying with Lehner development and even emotions? everyone in this organization knows he belongs in the NHL, the guy proved everything he had to at the AHL level, won a cup,was the mvp,carried his team on the back, all star,first team selection and so on. IMO, he needs to get NHL coaching,see NHL shooters every practice,sit and learn about NHL offenses,shooters tendencies,mental game and get in every 5-6 games and play

About the game, Regin looked great IMO...Greening on the other hand has been disappointing since game 1.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Of course bishop could of been better, that said I see it as mostly unlucky/ poor defensive coverage and some loose pucks (bad rebounds/not covering up)....think he will look better as team gets unrusty (unrusty, yup).

The sens will still be struggling to be consistent/top end team this year. Holes on defense and still a lot of young guys. But play entertaining and should squeeze in playoffs... will be painful games for sure against better offensive teams.

Michalek looked pretty bad out there, just sloppy and slow, really looked like back-to-back games and early in short/late season. (also, I like him but think if there is someone asking about him tradewise and you can go a different direction, should be listening)

Gonchar as well looked tired and sloppy on defense

overall i do not think it was a horrible game just suffering from back to back tiredness and also first time facing team with some firepower. Gotten tighten up the d-zone.

Pens will be a big test...see it as turning point game...win it and go on a little streak, lose it and question marks arise/confidence hit a bit. Be nice to load up some more points early in season.

Go sens, you are fun to watch!!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Let me go against he grain here and say Bishop gets a pass on this one. He hasn't played in awhile and they shouldn't have kept Lehner around that long after camp and split all those reps between 3 goalies in a shortened season.

Bishop's rebound control is usually pretty good compared to tonight. There's obviously a lot of rust there. If Mac wanted to get him a game, he should have given it to him against the awful Panthers' roster.

I'm with this one. I really feel as though we should have started Bishop in Florida if we were looking to just get him some reps and increase his trade value. Playing him against a high powered offensive team like the Lightning was a mistake -- especially on a back to back.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
Or:

Lats-Spezza-Alfredsson
Michalek-Turris-Silfverberg.

I know Turris and Alfredsson have good chemistry but I've seen Turris click with Silfv and Michalek equally well. Spezza with Alfredsson offers a more prominent duo with someone who could thrive off them by just shooting the puck or used in board play due to his strong physical nature.

I don't think we'll see Alfredsson on the top-line against the toughest competition so that leaves your recommendation.

I would rather have Alfie with Turris since we now have a 1a and 1b line instead of 1 line.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I would rather have Alfie with Turris since we now have a 1a and 1b line instead of 1 line.

In the current lineup alfie has been one of the least effective forwards. He's being wasted and frustrated out there you can see it on his face.
He needs to be with spezza asap.
At the same time, silfv WILL be better with turris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad