Proposal: Senators glut of middle 6 forwards

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hes rock solid in the o-zone...
Geez future dynasty incoming when you guys trade all these third liners for firsts, should pocket almost 10 based on your very reasonable assessments.

Other than Pageau - who else has been mentioned to bring back a 1st?

IMO Pageau is worth a 2nd, but I could see a contender paying a 1st if he's a perfect fit, and that team doesn't want to compete against him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hes rock solid in the o-zone...
Geez future dynasty incoming when you guys trade all these third liners for firsts, should pocket almost 10 based on your very reasonable assessments.
Hey listen, I know the Senators aren't supposed to have any good players, but looking at the precedent that was set this year with sky high returns, it would be ignorant to assume that Pageau with term would not return a late 1st.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Probably not. A few reasons:

1. For Ottawa cap hit is irrelevant
2. Lucic is owed $3.5m less in actual dollars (which is good) but Ottawa could alternatively save ~$2m by buying out the last year of Ryan's contract in June 2021 and be rid of the problem 2 years earlier without taking up a roster spot
3. Both players have NTC

Ryan for other cap dumps on shorter term deals is definitely doable (e.g. Gagner, Russell, Benning combined would be similar money owed to Ryan; Edmonton would save some cap in the next two seasons but suffer in 2021-22)
Another issue for us would be the expansion draft,Ryan,s NMC only exempts him from an AHL move..Otherwise its a 10 team NTC,thus making him available to be left unprotected in the expansion draft...Lucic has a full NMC that ensures that EDM has to protect him

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Hey listen, I know the Senators aren't supposed to have any good players, but looking at the precedent that was set this year with sky high returns, it would be ignorant to assume that Pageau with term would not return a late 1st.
Does he not only have next year remaining? And dont talk about ignorance when you claimed the player with 39 points in his last 110 odd games is rock solid offensively.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would love to take a run at Colin White for the Flames 3rd line center spot, but I assume he's for sure in the Senators future plans. Tierny will garner some interest as well. Boedker and Pageau probably not so much.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Would love to take a run at Colin White for the Flames 3rd line center spot, but I assume he's for sure in the Senators future plans. Tierny will garner some interest as well. Boedker and Pageau probably not so much.
I don’t think White is going anywhere. Plays the right way. Definitely in the future plans.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Tierny should have vale
He should, but it won't last long until the rest of the league realizes he's not all that good. The best thing he is good at is not being good at anything in particular. I almost want to say his 37 assists are because of great vision, but really I think it's chance more than anything. Not a fan, would be curious to see what Ottawa could get for him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If you think tierney would garner more interest than Pageau you haven't watched the Senators enough to know what you're talking about.

Reactions: bert

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
He should, but it won't last long until the rest of the league realizes he's not all that good. The best thing he is good at is not being good at anything in particular. I almost want to say his 37 assists are because of great vision, but really I think it's chance more than anything. Not a fan, would be curious to see what Ottawa could get for him.

I may be in the minority but I like Tierney's game. Ideally he would slot in the middle of the 3rd line but bang for buck he is pretty good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pageau sucks.

Well there goes your credibility.

I may be in the minority but I like Tierney's game. Ideally he would slot in the middle of the 3rd line but bang for buck he is pretty good.

He is a good player, responsible all over the ice always in the right position and he can play with anyone in any situation. He certainly isnt a game breaker but he is a good versitile player any team would want.

Realistically the sens need both Tierney and Pageau. They are the only players with any trade value but they are needed in Ottawa.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Yeah 3rd line is where he should be, but we have so many options for that on our team, Almost all of of centers are basically 3rd liners really.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It looks like Ottawa has a ton of good prospects/rookies, but not enough elite high end ones. Chabot and Tkachuk are the only ones it seems. Hopefully they can find a high end 1st line center during this rebuild.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What a well thought out and articulate response.
Well there goes your credibility.

He's got 3 goals on the year and makes over 3 million per. I get that he's a fan favourite because he's from the area and works hard but teams aren't going to give up anything worthwhile for him. He has hit 40pts once in his career. Teams look to add that kind of player internally from their organization.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He's got 3 goals on the year and makes over 3 million per. I get that he's a fan favourite because he's from the area and works hard but teams aren't going to give up anything worthwhile for him. He has hit 40pts once in his career. Teams look to add that kind of player internally from their organization.

He was injured for the first two thirds of the season.

And if points are the only thing you're looking at ... that explains a lot

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He was injured for the first two thirds of the season.

And if points are the only thing you're looking at ... that explains a lot

Yeah.. that's not actually a plus. Points have been, are now, and always will be the gold standard for evaluating hockey players. The entire objective of the game is to score more goals than your opponent. There's a reason the guys at the top of the pay grade in the NHL are making the money they are, and that reason isn't their defense. Tierny is younger, cheaper, and has more points in less games.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It looks like Ottawa has a ton of good prospects/rookies, but not enough elite high end ones. Chabot and Tkachuk are the only ones it seems. Hopefully they can find a high end 1st line center during this rebuild.

Forgot Brannstrom? White looks pretty promising as well. Ottawa does well with lower round picks that turn out really well e.g., Stone, Alfredsson. Probably going to be a few surprises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad