Proposal: Senators glut of middle 6 forwards

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
The Sens, as a result of trading 4 top 6 forwards in the past two seasons in Hoffman, Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, have accumulated a glut of middle 6 players who are forced to play up the lineup and/or block our young players from making the roster for the 2019-2020 season.

Obviously Ryan is here to stay, with his 7.25 cap hit and limited production, but also is one of our more talented players as sad as that statement sounds.

Next season the expected forward lineup should resemble something to the tune of:

Tkatchuk-White-Ryan
Duclair-Tierney-Batherson
Balcers-Brown-x
Smith-Pageau-x

With Boedker possibly filling one of the X’s, but also facing competition from Paul, Chlapik, Formenton and Norris.

With that being said, is there a market for Tierney, Boedker and possibly Pageau and what might the return be for those players to make room for youngers or to recoup some assets and replace them with a Gibbons or a Lindberg for cheap.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The Oilers should definitely be in on Tierney.

Would a 2nd + a C prospect + some cap do it?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Pageant and Tierney would be two nice additions that would add some scoring depth to this team. They both only have one year remaining on their contracts. Would look at movingBear, Jones type prospects for them. Wonder what the cost would be for those two. I don’t see either of them getting a 2nd but we are also up against the cap if we added a bit would you take Manning as a cap dump

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
No reason to rush these trades ...

Ottawa should keep Tierney at least for next season and trade him when he hits RFA if his ask is too much. Gibbons/Lindberg are not adequate replacements for what Tierney brings.

Boedker can be traded for whatever they can get at the deadline

Pageau should be re-signed. If not he can be moved at the deadline too

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Pageant and Tierney would be two nice additions that would add some scoring depth to this team. They both only have one year remaining on their contracts. Would look at movingBear, Jones type prospects for them. Wonder what the cost would be for those two. I don’t see either of them getting a 2nd but we are also up against the cap if we added a bit would you take Manning as a cap dump
Both of them would quite easily return a 2nd...

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I don't think they should trade any more roster players for prospects. Don't they need to add $$ to get to the cap floor?

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario

A rental Boyle got a lowish 2nd rounded and Pageau is a historically better player, one of the better defensive centres in the league (as far as bottom 6 players go), no reason he should not warrant a similar return. I think Bear/Jones would be decent, leaning more towards Bear.

Reactions: derriko

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Yeah how bout they keep the like 3 veterans left on the team and force the rookies to earn their spots?

The other option is to trade a couple kids for a good vet on a team looking to retool (LA, Anaheim, etc.) There probably isn't much available, as 99% of players that would be offered in a trade like this are purely unwanted (thinking along the lines of Lucic, Kesler, Carter, etc.) But if there was a Nino/Rask type player that a team was willing to move on from, I think that's the goal in this kind of exercise.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't think they should trade any more roster players for prospects. Don't they need to add $$ to get to the cap floor?

Every team hits the cap floor with ease.

There's only so many NHL jobs going around.

It might not be the best players, but they'll find takers for their money

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Likely available: Ryan, Smith, Boedkker
Maybe available: Tierney, Pageau
Not available: Everyone else

I think someone would have to knock Dorion's socks off to get one of Tierney/Pageau at this point. Maybe Pageau becomes available in season if they can't re-sign him, but as of now they need him to insulate White/Brown/Tierney.

Ryan is one of the better players remaining on the team and they likely need his salary to hit the floor. I'm sure the team would move him if the right deal came along, but given his age/salary/term I strongly doubt they'll receive an offer that they would part with him for.

Smith and Boedkker are the obvious candidates to move on. They aren't good players and moving them wouldn't hurt the rebuild in any way. Strongly doubt they'd get anything worthwhile in a trade, but they also have no reason to keep either on of these guys around.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd give up our 2nd for Tierney. Pick is probably gonna be around 40th overall.

How's Tierney's defensive game and faceoffs? We'd use him at 3c so he needs to be responsible both ways to play there.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd give up our 2nd for Tierney. Pick is probably gonna be around 40th overall.

How's Tierney's defensive game and faceoffs? We'd use him at 3c so he needs to be responsible both ways to play there.

Would take more than a 2nd. He's also pretty atrocious defensively (and yet somehow a half decent PK'er) so it's probably not a fit.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
In that case, I'd much rather go for Pageau

I think he'd take more than a 2nd too (and in an ideal world he's re-signed) but Pageau does seem like a great fit for the Oilers. Maybe next season if it's clear we can't come to terms on an extension he'd go for a more reasonable price as a rental.

Reactions: derriko

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd rather keep Pageau and sell Tierney. Nice to keep a couple vets around and Pagers would be great as an interim captain or at least hold the "A". He's been a soldier for us, don't want to get rid of him just yet (as long as he's willing to stay for a reasonable price anyway).

In addition to the glut of middle 6 forwards, we also have a ton of forward prospects. I wouldn't mind packaging a couple of them for positions of need (RHD prospects).

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
yeah always a good idea to throw rookies way up the lineup with no support

works out really well

Wait... wait just a damn minute. That's... That's Craig MacTavish's music!

2dHNVgS.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In seriousness.
Keep those players until deadlines. You need solid vets to help guide kids along. I'd recommend Ottawa kept that low end depth, and added guys like: Ben Lovejoy, Deryk Engelland, Marc Methot, Roman Polak, Bellemare, Wayne Simmonds, Tyler Ennis, Luca Sbisa... Just guys who are professionals to help the kids along.

You only need that for a year or two until while you keep all your youth in juniors/AHL until you're ready to bring them along together.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think he'd take more than a 2nd too (and in an ideal world he's re-signed) but Pageau does seem like a great fit for the Oilers. Maybe next season if it's clear we can't come to terms on an extension he'd go for a more reasonable price as a rental.
2nd + Bear work?

Pageau is a perfect fit for what we need in a 3c. A guy who can shutdown top lines, pk very well, score ~15 goals and 30+ points, good in the playoffs, speedy and plays an annoying game. Checks all the boxes.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
2nd + Bear work?

Pageau is a perfect fit for what we need in a 3c. A guy who can shutdown top lines, pk very well, score ~15 goals and 30+ points, good in the playoffs, speedy and plays an annoying game. Checks all the boxes.

Definitely can't argue with that value and Bear fills a glaring need.

I'm still on the "Keep Pageau" side of the argument, as there isn't much in the way of solid vets left to guide the kids. Given where e're at in the rebuild though, there are certainly worse things than dealing a 3rd line center for those two pieces.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think you're confusing middle 6 with bottom 6. If any of those guys are on your 2nd line your team is likely awful

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Oilers should definitely be in on Tierney.

Would a 2nd + a C prospect + some cap do it?

No thats brutal for a 24 year old that can pk pp and has close to 50 points. And you want them to take a cap hit back lol.

In what world?.... Have you paid any attention at all to what proven two way forwards that play in your middle 6 return?

yeah always a good idea to throw rookies way up the lineup with no support

works out really well

(works in nhl 19 rebuilds, not real life)

Try explaining that to the majority of the posters on the sens board. Its shocking how many posters seem to think its a good idea. Its actually even more crazy if you have been paying attention to how much better defensively the team has played in every way since Pageau has come back.

Pageau and Tierney shouldnt be going anywhere, the team needs them badly for exactly what you described.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad